Windows 10: Offline Files

Discus and support Offline Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a field based work group that all have to access a shared pool of data (several thousand files/folders) for some proprietary diagnostic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Barry O Bunnell, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Offline Files

I have a field based work group that all have to access a shared pool of data (several thousand files/folders) for some proprietary diagnostic equipment. The data is stored on a network drive and, prior to migrating to Windows 10 from Windows 7, we used the "Always Available Offline" function within Windows quite successfully. This was necessary because connectivity in throughout the operational area is spotty. Since moving to Windows 10, this function does not work well at all. There are frequent (50%) sync conflicts/errors which have now created 18,000+ temp files of the necessary data.

I have considered a variety of options (Microsoft Teams, OneDrive, etc.) but have not been able to make anything work as of yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

:)

Barry O Bunnell, Aug 8, 2019
  2. Jelu Cal Win User

offline files acces denied (file name database.xml)

Hi,

Access issues with offline files can be due to the changes in the configuration of the device and/or the host/server. To better understand your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• If you're using the Windows Sync Center application to access/manage your offline files.
    • If you're referring to the use of the OneDrive application.
    • If your device is managed by a domain or an organization.
    • The exact error messages that you're getting when accessing the files.
    • The version and build of Windows 10 that you're using on your device. To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this

link

In the meantime, we'd recommend performing the following steps to verify the status of the offline file access on your device:

• Search and launch Control Panel using Cortana.
    • In the Search Control Panel box, type offline.
    • Under Sync Center, click Manage offline files.
    • In the Offline Files pop-up window, check if its enabled.

We look forward to your response.

Jelu Cal, Aug 8, 2019
  3. meebers Win User
    RetailDemo Offline Content?

Was cleaning up my 10162 install using cleanmgr. One option on the list was "RetailDemo Offline Content", it was 100MB. Not sure what this is, before I delete it. Suggestions?

meebers, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Offline Files

How can I get Office 2019 (NOT 365) to open files in offline folders when not connected to the Internet?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Is your computer connected to any Domain Network?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to remove the offline files and clearing the cache and check if you are able to access the files if not connected to the internet.

Before trying the below steps, I suggest you to take a backup of all the files in the Offline Folder.

• Open Sync Center > Click on Manage Offline Files on the left and select
      Disable Offline Files > Restart the computer once.
    • Then, click on the Start Menu > Search for
      Command Prompt > Right-click on Command Prompt > Click on
      Run As Administrator.
    • Once the Command Prompt is up and running, type the following commands one by one and hit
      Enter.

cd c:\Windows

takeown /f csc /r /a /d y > NUL

icacls csc /grant AdministratorsOffline Files :(F) /t /l /q

• Then, delete the folders under C:\Windows\CSC >
      Restart the computer once > Enable Offline Files again and check if you are able to access the files.

For reference, you may also refer Can't open
    files offline when you use Offline Files and Windows Information Protection

If your computer is connected to a Domain Network and If you are still facing the same issue after trying the above troubleshooting steps, then I suggest you to post your query in
    IT Pro TechNet forums, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge
    on Offline Files.

Shafeeq_Khan, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

Offline Files

1. Offline Files - Similar Threads - Offline Files

2. Can't enable Offline Files on Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable Offline Files on Windows 11 Home: I am just setting up my first Windows 11 Home computer and am struggling to get Offline files working.I have mapped a network drive as the the S drive, but the Always Available option is missing when I right-click it.I've gone into Symc Center but when I click 'Manage offline...
  3. Can't enable Offline Files on Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enable Offline Files on Windows 11 Home: I am just setting up my first Windows 11 Home computer and am struggling to get Offline files working.I have mapped a network drive as the the S drive, but the Always Available option is missing when I right-click it.I've gone into Symc Center but when I click 'Manage offline...
  4. Offline files only available for 3 of 6 users on PC running Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Offline files only available for 3 of 6 users on PC running Windows 10 Pro: I have a computer running Windows 10 set up with 6 users. Only three can make files always available offline. While the option exists for the other three in the context menu i.e. by right clicking the sync never starts. In addition, the three user accounts that are able make...
  5. Offline files only available for 3 of 6 users on PC running Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Offline files only available for 3 of 6 users on PC running Windows 10 Pro: I have a computer running Windows 10 set up with 6 users. Only three can make files always available offline. While the option exists for the other three in the context menu i.e. by right clicking the sync never starts. In addition, the three user accounts that are able make...
  6. Offline files only available for 3 of 6 users on PC running Windows 10 Pro

7. Sync Center offline file and 0KB File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sync Center offline file and 0KB File: I was working on a .txt file that had lot of data.This file was a offline file and never synched and was being displayed in the sync center as an offline/sync error file. When I tried to open it today it errored out and changed to 0 bytes. I can still see the file in the same...
  8. Sync Center offline file and 0KB File

Sync Center offline file and 0KB File: I was working on a .txt file that had lot of data.This file was a offline file and never synched and was being displayed in the sync center as an offline/sync error file. When I tried to open it today it errored out and changed to 0 bytes. I can still see the file in the same...
  9. Sync Center offline file and 0KB File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. offline files are not working with network drive through VPN.

offline files are not working with network drive through VPN.: With offline files set to off I can see all on the files on network drive through VPN.With offline files set to on I can not see any files on the network drive through VPN...