Windows 10: Offline image backup of OS: Robocopy ok?

Discus and support Offline image backup of OS: Robocopy ok? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there! I would like to do an offline image backup of my OS-drive. I'm only interested in the OS itself. The data is backed up separately (and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Yukata, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Yukata Win User

Offline image backup of OS: Robocopy ok?

Hi there!

I would like to do an offline image backup of my OS-drive. I'm only interested in the OS itself. The data is backed up separately (and resides on a different drive). For high security, I'd like to avoid using any third party software. I will be installing win 10 using the latest iso-image downloaded from Microsoft. My question is:

If I boot up on a standard WinRE USB-stick (created in Win10 as usual): Can I just do a Robocopy to get an image backup into a VHDX file, ie a backup that is later restorable and bootable?

So basically to do a backup:
    1) Boot up WinRE from a USB-stick and into the command line
    2) Create VHDX-file using Diskpart and attach it to a drive letter, say V:
    3) Robocopy /MIR /COPYALL C:\ V:\
    I will copy all three partitions like this, ie the EFI System Partition, the OS partition itself and the recovery partition.

If I backup the OS like this, can I then later restore a bootable OS by doing the reverse (on all three partitions, first recreating those partitions with the same sizes), ie roughly like this (except I will create 3 partitions with same size as before, not 1 partition):
    1) Boot up WinRE from a USB-stick and into the command line and open Diskpart
    2) select disk 0
    3) clean
    4) create partition primary
    5) active
    6) format fs=ntfs quick label="OS_DRIVE"
    7) assign letter=C
    8) Mount backup VHDX-file using Diskpart and attach it to a drive letter, say V:
    9) Robocopy /MIR /COPYALL V:\ C:\
    10) Perhaps a call to bootsect to set a bootsector for C:\ ?

Will it work to boot the restored OS?
    Will it work restoring to another host? Ie just to boot that host and then install the specific drivers necessary to make the restored host work well.

I know this looks very manual and rather complicated. The reasons I'm backing up in this particular way are:
    * I want to avoid third party software to minimize dependencies I have to trust. I only want to have to trust Microsoft in this case.
    * I just want to do this backup 1 time so I have a standard image of a configured host. I can then use that image/backup to reflash any of my hosts easily. Ie I can reinstall Windows 10 easily and with all my additional time consuming OS customizations intact.
    * I would have loved to use "Backup and restore > Create a system image" in Windows 10, but unfortunately I've had mixed results. Sometimes when I restored to another host (using a usb stick created with "Recovery Media Creator" in Windows 10), Windows refused to restore the image with cryptic error messages. Also, I've heard some people say not all data was copied when Windows did the backup. I just thought that with Robocopy, I can be sure to really copy ALL the files without missing anything.

I guess, at heart, the question is: Is there any functional difference between copying all the files of a partition vs an image backup (especially when booting/doing the backup up in a WinRE env when the OS files are not locked/used by the OS and are in a consistent pre-boot state)?

Feel free to send very technical links, I love that Offline image backup of OS: Robocopy ok? :)

Thanks for the help! And a happy new year to all of you!

Cheers,

:)

Yukata, Jan 1, 2021
  2. slance310 Win User

Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile

Hi,

I don't think I would be doing a daily backup of your Windows Image...

Other files maybe.. I'm not 100% sure how the process works when combining both as I have never tried that..

Personally, I would think saving the image to a drive that gets little use would be the best choice..

I know little about using robocopy either.. I have never had the need.. But I would think that if you can copy it manually, robocopy should now work.. Would it be somehow possible to run robocopy "As Administrator" ?

slance310, Jan 1, 2021
  3. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Jan 1, 2021
  4. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

1. Offline image backup of OS: Robocopy ok? - Similar Threads - Offline image backup

2. image backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    image backup: Can i use a sata hard drive to make a image of my win 11 computer that has a ssd indtalled then use the sata hard drive to restore the ssd if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/image-backup/96d56eff-828e-440f-8a87-9531fc87921f
  3. image backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    image backup: Can i use a sata hard drive to make a image of my win 11 computer that has a ssd indtalled then use the sata hard drive to restore the ssd if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/image-backup/96d56eff-828e-440f-8a87-9531fc87921f
  4. Backup and compare with robocopy not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and compare with robocopy not working: I've backed up the Windows folder from a Windows 10 boot drive with robocopy F:\Windows E:\roboRubi\Windowsz /mir Both source and target drives are attached to internal SATA ports. None of the two drives (source and target) is the boot drive I'm booted into. I'm using an...
  5. Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Image Backup: I Am Trying To Make A Windows Image Backup. I Have 3 Drives, CSSD System Drive, DSSD Games And EHDD Storage, When I Try To Make An Image It counts C And E As System Drives Almost 600 GB. I Cant Find Any Way To Unselect Drive E Help. I Have Attached A Screenshot THX[IMG]...
  6. Backup files or system image before reinstalling OS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup files or system image before reinstalling OS?: Hi guys, So i'm trying to do a clean OS reinstallation (Windows 10) and I would love if my files as well as all my application can be restored easily so I would have exactly the same system as before (but with a clean install of the OS). This means my windows settings,...
  7. Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile: I am unable to either backup this file using File History, or copy it using a Robocopy script. Robocopy simply "skips" it, according to the result of the script from the cmd command. I suspect is has to do with all the permissions requirements, but have made sure I log in...
  8. image backup?

image backup?: Your're welcome. Now make an image backup of your system so you can always recover to a fully functional computer. image backup? you mean iso? and how? 50301
  9. robocopy backup of important files

robocopy backup of important files: hi, I have a standard Windows 10 build and I'm using y to backup my data to an external drive. The goal is just to capture all my data so if the PC fails/gets stolen etc. I can restore my data on to another PC. I'm doing a backup of c:\users\ as this seems to capture...
  10. Robocopy backup won't work

Robocopy backup won't work: I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line: robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e This command works fine on my laptop But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason It...