Windows 10: Offline image update of files outside of the install.wim

Discus and support Offline image update of files outside of the install.wim in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I inject Windows updates into an offline image, that updates the install.wim file, right? in a Windows distribution, there a lot of files besides... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hsehestedt, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Offline image update of files outside of the install.wim

When I inject Windows updates into an offline image, that updates the install.wim file, right? in a Windows distribution, there a lot of files besides the WIM. Surely, updates must sometimes be made to those files. Just out of curiosity, how would those updates be distributed by Microsoft?

I'm only asking out of pure curiosity.

:)

hsehestedt, Jun 13, 2019
  2. johnspack Win User

Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Jun 13, 2019
  3. johnspack Win User
    Compacting a wim file?

Actually it turns out the answer is the dism that comes with Win8. Using the new Export-Image command, and a simple batch file, was able to compress my AIO wim by several hundred mbs.

johnspack, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Hegyak Win User

Offline image update of files outside of the install.wim

Windows 10 ServicePack Build Not updating with Cumulative Update for Offline WIM file(s)

I am applying the Cumulative Update from this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043454/windows-10-windows-server-update-history

Code:
    I apply the Cumulative Update to the Offline WIM File using DISM.  The update is applied correctly to the Offline WIM file.
    However, using the following Command, I see that something isn't correct:dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:".\install.wim" /index:1
    I get the following:Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.17134.1

Details for image : .\install.wim

Index : 1

Name : Windows 10 Enterprise

Description : Windows 10 Enterprise

Size : 17,227,168,687 bytes

WIM Bootable : No

Architecture : x64

Hal : <undefined>

Version : 10.0.17134

ServicePack Build : 1

ServicePack Level : 191

Edition : Enterprise

Installation : Client

ProductType : WinNT

ProductSuite : Terminal Server

System Root : WINDOWS

Directories : 22475

Files : 104248

Created : 4/12/2018 - 2:55:39 AM

Modified : 8/8/2018 - 12:03:20 PM

Languages :

en-US (Default)

The operation completed successfully.
    The ServicePack Build number does not properly reflect the ServicePack Level Number.  This does effect SCCM which reads in the ServicePack Build number.  The WIM could be updated but, SCCM won't tell me this because the ServicePack Build number is not changed/updated
     with the Update.
    This does NOT effect Running/Live Windows 10 PCs. This ONLY effects Offline WIM files.

Hegyak, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Offline image update of files outside of the install.wim

1. Offline image update of files outside of the install.wim - Similar Threads - Offline image update

2. creating Win11 pro wim image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    creating Win11 pro wim image: would it be breaking MS license to install a fresh version of Win11 pro install apps, drivers and etc... Then repackage as wim file and install via a USB stick licensed with the oem key of the laptop....
  3. creating Win11 pro wim image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    creating Win11 pro wim image: would it be breaking MS license to install a fresh version of Win11 pro install apps, drivers and etc... Then repackage as wim file and install via a USB stick licensed with the oem key of the laptop....
  4. Remove Edge Chromium from Offline Image (WIM)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove Edge Chromium from Offline Image (WIM): Hello guys, I have the latest build windows 10 iso downloaded and created by MediaCreationTool. I removed unwanted UWP apps, i customized capabilities, features with dism commands on install.wim also blocked OneDrive from installing with a registry tweak. I'm wondering if...
  5. Create Wim image of a running system anyone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create Wim image of a running system anyone: Hi folks Does anybody know how to make a WIM image of a running system -- the reason I'd like this is that I use a Win to Go on an external SSD at times - often want Windows in totally different languages also with a load of applications in different languages -- not always...
  6. Open in WIM files

Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  7. 12GB WIM File (Making it into a bootable USB Installer)

12GB WIM File (Making it into a bootable USB Installer): Hello everyone, I'm trying to automate a Windows 10 installation with my customized WIM image. From the tutorials I've read, the best practice is to split the DMG (which doesn't do the windows setup screen for automation using autounattend.xml) or creating two partitions...
  8. Windows 10 ServicePack Build Not updating with Cumulative Update for Offline WIM file(s)

Windows 10 ServicePack Build Not updating with Cumulative Update for Offline WIM file(s): I am applying the Cumulative Update from this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043454/windows-10-windows-server-update-history I apply the Cumulative Update to the Offline WIM File using DISM. The update is applied correctly to the Offline WIM file....
  9. Create a wim or esd file with no volume image

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a wim or esd file with no volume image: [img] Hi Using Windows ADK 10 v1511, it is possible to create a wim or esd file with no volume image so that I can add them later? Thanks Bye 42214
  10. imagex and windows 10 .wim image

imagex and windows 10 .wim image: Any one had success in capturing\applying a wim image using a USB pen and imagex. I had numerous success's with windows 7 but have had loads of problems with 10. It will sysprep OK but when capturing throws out loads of exceptions, the original unit will wake up but if I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk is offline after installing wim file