Windows 10: Ogg files lag file explorer despite being disabled in indexing.

Discus and support Ogg files lag file explorer despite being disabled in indexing. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ogg files slow the hell out of file explorer but i have disabled indexing for ogg and opus plus ive made sure "Web Media Extensions" is updated but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lrh3370, Feb 6, 2021.

1. lrh3370 Win User

Ogg files lag file explorer despite being disabled in indexing.

Ogg files slow the hell out of file explorer but i have disabled indexing for ogg and opus plus ive made sure "Web Media Extensions" is updated but the problem is still there

:)

lrh3370, Feb 6, 2021
  2. Sawyer7 Win User

Unable to move .ogg files

It only lists Windows Explorer as a lock, and if I try to run it it says it successfully unlocked however it doesn't fix it.

Strangely though, .ogx files work now, although .oga and .ogg files are still broken.

Sawyer7, Feb 6, 2021
  3. Windows File Explorer hangs when working with .ogg files

Hey guys;
    I am at my wit's end tonight after spending nearly the entire day troubleshooting this issue.

First, I am running Windows 10 Pro ver 2004
    The problem is that when I open a folder containing .ogg music files, the folder will open, and immediately all of the files will be displayed. Then, a fraction of a second later, all of the file names will disappear, leaving only the icons on the left side.
    Then, one by one the file names will reappear, starting at the bottom of the window and moving up.
    Often, when the list is nearly complete, Explorer hangs (freezes) with the top file name not displayed. The cursor is an hourglass if I move it into the Explorer window, but other apps continue to function.

Explorer also freezes if I open a folder with .ogg files and right-click on any of the files.

This is happening on my 'normal' user which has admin privs. The user is local, not a MS account.

When I log off the user, and log back on with the administrator account, everything is fine.

Checking the user data in C:\users\<username>\AppData\, I see that there are many more entries in my normal user than in the administrator. This makes sense, since I never use the admin account, except for troubleshooting.

I have tried running 'shellxview', and have disabled all non-MS extensions, but this had no effect.
    I have run 'autoruns' and tried un-ticking some of the items from the Login and Explorer tabs, but nothing I do has any effect on the problem.

I also un-installed Foobar2000, since it was (at one time, but now restored to Groove) the registered app for .ogg files. That had no effect.
    I have un-installed iTunes, as it seems to mess up pretty regularly. Again, no effect.

I have tried running Explorer as admin (from the regular user acct), but that had no effect.

The only thing that does fix the problem is logging into the admin account.

I have Googled and tried many suggested solutions, but none have worked for me.

I was so frustrated at one point, I was about to restore a partition backup, but it's at least a week old, and I really hate to go to that extreme; and besides, I am not at all sure that the problem didn't crop up long before any of my saved backups, as this is the first time in a while I am working with my .ogg files.

Note: The problem does not occur with other file types, such as .flac, .jpg, or any other type I have browsed through.

For reference, this is a list of all the apps I have which are able to open .ogg files:

Reaper (ver 6.15 x64)
    Foobar2000 (ver 1.6.2)
    MusicBee (ver 3.3.7367
    Groove Music (default Windows)
    Tag & Rename (ver 3.9.15)

If all else fails, I am thinking that I need to create another user, and migrate all apps to that user, testing Explorer after each one is added.
    I really hate to un-install all of my music apps, as I have spent a lot of time getting them set up how I like. I suppose i can save the config files, but I am never sure whether everything will restore properly.

Thanks for your help
    Ultrarunner

ultrarunner2020, Feb 6, 2021
  4. Ogg files lag file explorer despite being disabled in indexing.

.ogg files continuously crash the entire Windows Explorer whenever selected.

Any time I select a .ogg file be it left-click or right-click, the entire Windows Explorer hangs and I have to restart it with Task Manager. Again, this goes for any file in the .ogg format. Sometimes just visiting the folder a .ogg file is enough to crash
    Windows Explorer! Is there a way to fix the issue? Or at the very least delete the .ogg files without File Explorer? Thank you!

JosephWatts1215, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

Ogg files lag file explorer despite being disabled in indexing.

1. Ogg files lag file explorer despite being disabled in indexing. - Similar Threads - Ogg files lag

2. Windows Search not working despite files being indexed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not working despite files being indexed: Nothing on my computer is showing up on Windows Search even though Windows says I have 399,778 files indexed. Classic search is checked. The drive these files are on has permission to be indexed. This is not a big issue for me thanks to Power Toys, which does a superb job of...
  3. Windows Search not working despite files being indexed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search not working despite files being indexed: Nothing on my computer is showing up on Windows Search even though Windows says I have 399,778 files indexed. Classic search is checked. The drive these files are on has permission to be indexed. This is not a big issue for me thanks to Power Toys, which does a superb job of...
  4. ogg file lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ogg file lag: so rencently i want to type .ogg and its kill my explorer so i reset my pc and pls help to fix lag on my windows 11 : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ogg-file-lag/ab013b30-53ea-4725-9384-07f7f0c5aa87
  5. ogg file lag

ogg file lag: so rencently i want to type .ogg and its kill my explorer so i reset my pc and pls help to fix lag on my windows 11 : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ogg-file-lag/ab013b30-53ea-4725-9384-07f7f0c5aa87
  6. File Explorer is slow showing properties for .ogg type files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer is slow showing properties for .ogg type files.: When I attempt to right click on a .ogg file to view the properties, File Explorer freezes for over a minute before finally completing the action. This problem only appears with .ogg type files, and all other files work fine. System Specifications: Edition - Windows 10...
  7. Windows File Explorer hangs when working with .ogg files

Windows File Explorer hangs when working with .ogg files: Hey guys; I am at my wit's end tonight after spending nearly the entire day troubleshooting this issue. First, I am running Windows 10 Pro ver 2004 The problem is that when I open a folder containing .ogg music files, the folder will open, and immediately all of the files...
  8. Issue with ogg files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue with ogg files: When I try to rename an .ogg file, explorer crashes, when I delete the .ogg file, it doesn't delete it, and explorer crashes too when moving the .ogg file to another folder. I had this problem for some days and it's frustrating me a lot. submitted by /u/bkyaat [link]...
  9. ogg file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ogg file: I can't delete ogg file which is a tranferred file from my phone to my pc. The name of the file is hangouts_message and hangouts_incoming_call. I would love your generous response : God Bless...
  10. Lagging File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Lagging File Explorer: I seem to have done something in file explorer on my desktop that I did not on my laptop. When I click on any hard drive or large folder, the search bar takes forever to show the files. This used to happen in W7 and continues to do so in W10. I have tried to find where to...