Windows 10: Oh look, another broken Windows update! KB4493472 and KB4493446 causing issues

Discus and support Oh look, another broken Windows update! KB4493472 and KB4493446 causing issues in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Reports are coming in left and right that the recent security updates for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 11, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Oh look, another broken Windows update! KB4493472 and KB4493446 causing issues

Reports are coming in left and right that the recent security updates for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are causing issues on machines they are installed on under certain circumstances.

I added a note to the Tuesday's Patch Overview for this month's Windows updates but the issue appears even more widespread than thought initially.

What we know so far

Oh look, another broken Windows update! KB4493472 and KB4493446 causing issues windows-7-8.1-server-issues-update.png

The issue affects pre-Windows 10 operating systems only, at least that is what is been reported at the time. In other words: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2.

The updates that may cause issues are:

• KB4493448 Security-only update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
    • KB4493472 Monthly rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
    • KB4493467 Security-only update for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
    • KB4493446 Monthly rollup update for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
    • KB4493450 Security-only update for Windows Server 2012
    • KB4493451 Monthly rollup update for Windows Server 2012

The issue

Sophos reports that machines with the update may fail to boot. The computer mentions systems with Sophos Central Endpoint and SEC installed specifically and recommends not to install the new update at this point in time.

If the update is installed already, Sophos recommends booting into Safe Mode, disabling Sophos Antivirus, booting into the regular system, uninstalling the Windows update there, and enabling the Sophos Anti-Virus service afterward.

Avast published a support article on the company's KB site that describes a similar issue. The company reports that PCs running Avast for Business and Avast Cloud Care on Windows machines may become locked or frozen on start after installing the new Windows updates.

Windows machines (particularly those running Windows 7) are becoming locked or frozen on startup after Microsoft updates KB4493472, KB4493448, and KB4493435.

Some of these machines are completely unable to log in, and some log in after a very extended period of time.

Avast suggests that users roll back the update as well and has published instructions on how to do so on the linked support page.

Microsoft has yet to acknowledge the issue; no support article lists the problem as a known issue yet.

It is still recommended to create a system backup before you install any new update for Windows on your machines.

Now You: are you affected by issues after installing these updates? (via Ask Woody)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Oh look, another broken Windows update! KB4493472 and KB4493446 causing issues appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 11, 2019

2. Re: Windows 10 update

Hi,

The black screen error may occur if there are broken system files or applications causing software conflicts. To isolate this issue, please answer the following questions:

• When did the issue start?
    • Were there any changes made to your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps found on this

article
    to resolve this issue.

We're looking forward to your response.

Katrina Men, Apr 11, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows update issues

Came here to suggest this.*Laugh :laugh:

Definitely not an issue with the Windows Servers as I just re-installed yesterday and got all my updates.

newtekie1, Apr 11, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Oh look, another broken Windows update! KB4493472 and KB4493446 causing issues - Similar Threads - another broken update

2. Windows BSOD Looking for cause.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows BSOD Looking for cause.: Hello,I have had this computer crashes pretty fast in quick succession. It is a brand new laptop so looking for help to determine the cause of the crash. Here is the bug check event in Event Viewer below along with the dump file share....
  3. Windows BSOD Looking for cause.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows BSOD Looking for cause.: Hello,I have had this computer crashes pretty fast in quick succession. It is a brand new laptop so looking for help to determine the cause of the crash. Here is the bug check event in Event Viewer below along with the dump file share....
  4. Uh oh, Microsoft/fsavuillux issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Uh oh, Microsoft/fsavuillux issue: I have a school laptop running Windows 10. Battery has known issues, and the date is very wrong. Today is March 6, 2021 however it says today is September 17, 2020. I’ve tried to fix it, however not even Google works. Today I got this, what do I do? I cant restart, my login...
  5. Update order issue? (Broken update)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update order issue? (Broken update): Is the 20H2 update required previous to "2021-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems (KB4601319)"? I've been struggling with the latter update failing, however 20H2 wants to install after. Not sure whats going on, only sorta tech savy....
  6. Oh windows...

Oh windows...: Was messing with the permissions for the windows apps folder, as you do. Now I can't run anything as admin and I'm struggling to get the pc to boot to an install disk to get cmd up to fix this mess. May be one of the most asshole it issues I will have with Windows submitted...
  7. Another broken update?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Another broken update?: How many times are we going to be given updates that change settings, lose settings and generally stuff around with computers that were previously working well? I am utterly sick of having my settings changed and information lost thanks to **** updates from Microsoft. My...
  8. Oh no!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Oh no!: I was using Chrome when I opened a new tab. I went to a website and the whole window went BLAMMO! I clicked some things and it become worse. Was it a virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oh-no/cd13444d-56fe-4f89-b8e5-43c9b066017e
  9. Oh Windows

Oh Windows: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Cicada3301Cicada [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gdwhon/oh_windows/
  10. Oh no....

Oh no....: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/murdered800times [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e8236g/oh_no/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4493446 issues

2. security only updates are failed in server 2012 Machine