Windows 10: OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

Discus and support OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, When choosing the Win 10 install I am given these options: Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) are there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Yardankerty, Apr 6, 2016.

1. OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

Hi there,
    When choosing the Win 10 install I am given these options:
    Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

are there any major differences? apart from the obvious one - certain words are spelt differently...

thanks!

OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) [​IMG]

:)

Yardankerty, Apr 6, 2016

2. Transferring photos to PC

This is it exactly.

Microsoft Windows XP

Build 2600

Service Pack 2

Language: English (United States)

Language for non-Unicode programs: English (United States)

Locale: English (United Kingdom)

Input language: English (United Kingdom)

papabob---01, Apr 6, 2016
  3. Cannot remove keyboard layouts

The system language is English (United States) with one keyboard layout US (QWERTY). I have configured another layout Hungarian-101 (QWERTY). But for some reason 2 other keyboard layouts keeps popping up in my input method list on the system tray: ENG UK:
    English (United Kingdom) - United Kingdom keyboard; and ENG US: English (United Kingdom) - US Keyboard.

These last 2 input methods are unwanted. I did not configure them and I they cannot be found in the Settings > Region & language menu.

I can remove them temporary by:

1. Add English (United Kingdom) language to the system

2. Set English (United Kingdom) as default

3. Removing the English (United States) language

4. Add English (United States) language again

5. Add US English keyboard layout to English (United States)

6. Remove English UK keyboard layout from English (United States) language

7. Set the English (United States) as default again

8. Remove the English (United Kingdom) language

At this point the system language settings are back where they were before, except now there are only the two configured input methods on the system tray: ENG: English (United States) - US Keyboard; and HUN: Hungarian - Hungarian 101 keyboard.

After restart all the unwanted keyboard layouts are back.

PeterBandi, Apr 6, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

The difference is the spelling of some words, default measurement system and default formats for currency, date and time. The spelling cannot be changed later without downloading and installing a language pack and applying it.

The formats can be changed to whatever user prefers. US English has by default first day of week Sunday, UK English Monday. US English Windows uses by default 12 hour clock (12 AM to 11:59 PM) and has date format as MONTH DAY YEAR, whereas UK English has 24 hour clock (00 to 23:59) and DAY MONTH YEAR.

Default currency sign is in US English Windows $, in UK English version £. In addition the default measurement system in US English Windows is U.S. and in UK version metric.

The UK (GB) English Windows 10 is also known as English International, see for instance the name of UK English Windows 10 TH2 version 1511 official ISO images which MS has named as Win10_1511_1_EnglishInternational_x64.iso.

Kari, Apr 6, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Well, I never knew that!

From The seven-day week

I admit to being behind the times. I was educated in the UK, and had always been taught that Sunday was the first day of the week, but of course this is at variance, even with the Book of Genesis, where we are told that the Creator rested on the seventh day.

If we really adhered to the standard, we should use YY MM DD for date formats.

Fafhrd, Apr 6, 2016
  6. z3r010 Win User
    Same here *Confused although Monday does make more sense.

z3r010, Apr 6, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    It's called weekend, I mean Saturday and Sunday is, not weekchange as would be more logical if the week changed from Saturday to Sunday *Smile

Weekend ends the week, thereafter the new week starts on Monday.

Kari, Apr 6, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Ooh... Kari, that's MUCH too logical... when you consider, for example, that in the UK a popular magazine for television times and program details is called the Radio Times.. (it started when there was only radio and radio broadcasts were new - it also includes radio programs).

But we do sometimes stumble with 'next week, this week, last week'.

dalchina, Apr 6, 2016
  9. Yardankerty, Apr 6, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Main thing is the keyboard is slightly different e.g. @ and " swap positions, £ is where $ is etc.

cereberus, Apr 6, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    I don't see how the keyboard would be the main thing? It belongs to same category as formats, changed easily to whatever you want to. IF your physical keyboard layout is UK English but your Windows installed in US English, just replace the US keyboard in Settings with UK one.

12. That caught me out on my Raspberry Pi. The default in Raspbian is English UK and your not given an option to change it during the install. Slightly off topic I know, but it can have you scratching your head if your using an American keyboard. it's not hard to change, once you figure out what's going on. It wasn't immediately obvious to me the first time it happened though.

alphanumeric, Apr 7, 2016
  13. clayto Win User

It can be hard, indeed impossible, to change. Several keys on my KB remain wrong if set to English instead of USA --- unless someone can show me how to fix it. My local technician couldn't.

clayto, Apr 9, 2016
  14. If your keyboard doesn't match the selected language it will never happen. If you want your language to be English US you need a US keyboard.

alphanumeric, Apr 9, 2016
  15. Kari Win User
    That is absolutely not true. Totally wrong information which needs to be corrected. A fact check before posting is always recommended, especially when using such strong statements as "... it will never happen".

The PC in general and Windows in particular has no need to know and recognize the actual physical layout of the attached physical keyboard device. For Windows it is totally irrelevant, you can use any localized physical keyboard device to type using any Windows input language.

Using myself as an example, all my physical keyboards are either US or German but my default input language (my chosen Windows keyboard layout) on all computers is Finnish. This computer I am using to compose this reply has display language (Windows system language) British English, input language Finnish, and the physical keyboard is US English Logitech MK-710.

I am I would like to say extremely experienced in using multilingual Windows, I know how it works.

For me it is not a problem that my physical keyboard layout do not match my chosen input method. In case of this particular computer now, my physical keyboard looks like this (screenshots using on-screen keyboard to show an example):

A US English physical keyboard layout.

But, I am using it at this very moment to type using Finnish input language which has the layout shown below:

There's a simple reason I use Finnish input language as default: with it I can type all other languages I need on daily basis (Finnish, Swedish, English) except German; when typing in German there are two letters I can only type selecting German input language, Ü and ß. These two I get using my US English keyboard device from [{ and -_.

When typing English with my Finnish input language with physical US keyboard, I just have to know and remember that all special characters are typed as in Finnish keyboard, not as in US keyboard. For instance although my physical keyboard shows that to get @ sign I need to press SHIFT + 2, I know that I need AltGr + 2 instead to get the @ sign. Or, to get parenthesis ( and ) which according to my physical US keyboard would be SHIFT + 9 and SHIFT + 0, I need to press SHIFT + 8 and SHIFT + 9 instead.

Further, I need to remember that colon and semicolon key on my physical US keyboard now types ö and Ö as in Finnish layout, the ' and " key gives me ä and Ä, the [ and { key å and Å, and so on. This is not difficult especially if you do not need to watch the keyboard while typing, the only important thing being to remember which Windows input language I am currently using.

When I use German QWERTZ input method with US QWERTY physical keyboard, I need to remember that pressing Z on my keyboard types Y, and vice versa. In addition, now I get @ sign with AltGR + Q although my physical keyboard shows it being SHIFT + 2.

All the above put very short: The keyboard device's physical layout has nothing to do with the Windows input language. All localized physical keyboard devices can be used to type any chosen Windows input language. You can buy a French AZERTY keyboard device to be used with German QWERTZ input language.

Thema:

1. OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) - Similar Threads - Select Language English

2. English United Kingdom Local Experience Pack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    English United Kingdom Local Experience Pack: I reside in Australia.Why is there no Australian Local Experience Pack. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/english-united-kingdom-local-experience-pack/b91c4c77-49e1-48f5-9eb7-dffe57d39873
  3. How to remove English United States United Kingdom keyboard, Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove English United States United Kingdom keyboard, Windows 11.: I have a status bar at the bottom right that says two keyboards are available English United StatesUnited Kingdomis listed and I want it removed as I do not need it. This seems to be excessively difficult. A simple X and click to remove is the user need here.I only want UK...
  4. How to remove English United States United Kingdom keyboard, Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove English United States United Kingdom keyboard, Windows 11.: I have a status bar at the bottom right that says two keyboards are available English United StatesUnited Kingdomis listed and I want it removed as I do not need it. This seems to be excessively difficult. A simple X and click to remove is the user need here.I only want UK...
  5. Windows 10 English (United Kingdom) Language Missing ` Key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 English (United Kingdom) Language Missing ` Key: I have an issue with my Windows 10 installation. When I set my language to English (United Kingdom) my ` key no longer works.Setting language to English (United States) re-adds the key. I have a fresh install of a virtual machine with the same settings and this is not an...
  6. cortana not available in English United Kingdom

in Cortana
    cortana not available in English United Kingdom: just updated windows 10 2004 version, feature update and cortana not available but was prior to this update ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-not-available-in-english-united-kingdom/ca2936b3-3eee-4d18-90a8-50757a34b755
  7. language pack english united kingdom experience

in Windows 10 Customization
    language pack english united kingdom experience: cant get rid of this pack and it is trying to take over all language option and just did a fresh clean install of the system with usb that is write protected have only gone into windows update and signed into Microsoft account please help cant find a way to get rid of this...
  8. Cortana not availble in English (United Kingdom) at this time

in Cortana
    Cortana not availble in English (United Kingdom) at this time: I have just had a Windows update build 19013 which seem to work okay until I decided to start using cortana, I have found there is a problem, when I put a prompt in my microphone the big white box appears with, sorry,but Cortana not availble in English (United Kingdom)at this...
  9. Unable to remove English( United Kingdom)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to remove English( United Kingdom): am unable to remove « english(united kingdom) from languages, even though have defined english ( united states) as windows display language https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-remove-english-united-kingdom/362b9ef0-4fa4-464a-8cf3-c0a11408c1bc
  10. How to remove English (United States) United Kingdom Keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove English (United States) United Kingdom Keyboard: Hi, I tried everything in my end and can't remove the English (United States) United Kingdom Keyboard. [img] Region & Language does not show the English United States pack anywhere. [img] Powershell also does not show the English United States pack. [img] Does...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. english United S