Windows 10: OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

Discus and support OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It can be hard, indeed impossible, to change. Several keys on my KB remain wrong if set to English instead of USA --- unless someone can show me how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Yardankerty, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Kari Win User

OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

As I told in my previous post, the physical layout of your keyboard device has nothing to do with your chosen Windows input language. Every input language can be typed with every localized keyboard device. If someone tells you anything else, that simply is not true and you should ignore it.

Your issue is most often caused by not being thorough with input language settings. See this post in another thread for how to override the Windows 10 default input language: Keyboard Input Priority - Windows 10 Forums

We will get it working for you. Try the above first to override the default input language, come back to tell if it helped or not.

The most important thing to realize and remember is that using different input language than your physical keyboard device, the keys on device do not always match those typed. I am using all the input languages shown in screenshot below and I can guarantee you I don't have to change my physical keyboard device every time I change the input language:

OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) [​IMG]

2. clayto Win User

Thanks for the response. I am not quite clear about this. Are you saying that if I override the default language and replace it with English UK, then if I select English UK keyboard it wil NOT affect the keyboard's function, eg.it will NOT print # when I click @? I have just returned (again) the keyboard to working correctly (as I call it) and I dont want to mess it up yet again. It is important to me that clicking @ does print @, etc.

Also (sorry about this) are you saying that this override procedure will not upset Cortana so that she refuses to work?

These are the two essential issues (1) the keyboard is correct (2) Cortana works.

clayto, Apr 10, 2016
  3. My location/region is set to Canada, my installed language is English US. Cortana would not work, even if I changed my location to US. I was prompted to select a language she could speak. The only option in the drop down was English US. I had to download and install the English Canada language pack and Speech pack. Then go Settings > Time & Language > Speech > Choose the language you speak with your device, and set it to English Canada. Cortana then worked. I set my language back to English US, Settings > Time & Language > Region and language >Language settings and Cortana continued to work. I then uninstalled the English Canada Language pack, but leaving the speech part still installed. Cortana works and my keyboard keys all line up. There may be an easier way, but that's how it unfolded for me.

alphanumeric, Apr 10, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

This is basically quite simple:

• If you have UK English physical keyboard device and Windows input language set to UK English, all characters are typed as shown on keys on your keyboard
    • If you have US English physical keyboard device and Windows input language set to UK English (or any other not matching physical keyboard / Windows input language combination), some characters will not be typed as shown on the keys. An example: US keyboard device shows the @ sign on the number key 2, and it is typed in US English input language with SHIFT + 2, but a UK English input method user gets a " from that same key. The fact that the key on keyboard shows @ is irrelevant because the chosen input method is different than physical keyboard device, therefore in this example you get " from that key
    If you are unsure, if your physical keyboard device is not that of your chosen Windows input method, open an on-screen keyboard to compare them and see what key produces what character.

Real life example:

My US physical keyboard device, and a few examples of the above using it with my chosen Windows input language Finnish. Took the photo just now, sorry about how dirty the keyboard is *Wink. Numbers in picture refer to explanations below the picture:

OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) [​IMG]

• My Logitech American layout keyboard device shows that the & sign is SHIFT + 7, however I get / with that keyboard combination as in Finnish layout. To get & sign I need SHIFT + 6 instead
    • My keyboard device shows that the key #2 in picture above gives [ and {, however I get å and Å from that key
    • My keyboard device shows that key #3 in picture gives ; and :, however I get ö and Ö from that key
    • My keyboard device shows that SHIFT + key #4 in picture gives <, however I get semicolon ; from that key combination
    • My keyboard device shows that SHIFT + key #5 in picture gives >, however I get colon : from that key combination
    What is written on a key on the physical keyboard device has absolutely nothing to do with what is typed with that key in Windows. The deciding factor is what input method is selected in Windows.

About Cortana, it needs computer location and display language to match (speech for that language must be installed). I have absolutely no Cortana issues, having UK English Windows 10 display language, location set to United Kingdom, using Finnish input language with a physical American keyboard device, being physically in Germany.

5. snoopy51 Win User
    This is absolutely cool! I worked with several International users with different keyboards but the start of week on Monday is valuable!
    Thanks Kari!

snoopy51, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) - Similar Threads - Select Language English

2. English United Kingdom Local Experience Pack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    English United Kingdom Local Experience Pack: I reside in Australia.Why is there no Australian Local Experience Pack. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/english-united-kingdom-local-experience-pack/b91c4c77-49e1-48f5-9eb7-dffe57d39873
  3. How to remove English United States United Kingdom keyboard, Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove English United States United Kingdom keyboard, Windows 11.: I have a status bar at the bottom right that says two keyboards are available English United StatesUnited Kingdomis listed and I want it removed as I do not need it. This seems to be excessively difficult. A simple X and click to remove is the user need here.I only want UK...
  4. How to remove English United States United Kingdom keyboard, Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove English United States United Kingdom keyboard, Windows 11.: I have a status bar at the bottom right that says two keyboards are available English United StatesUnited Kingdomis listed and I want it removed as I do not need it. This seems to be excessively difficult. A simple X and click to remove is the user need here.I only want UK...
  5. Windows 10 English (United Kingdom) Language Missing ` Key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 English (United Kingdom) Language Missing ` Key: I have an issue with my Windows 10 installation. When I set my language to English (United Kingdom) my ` key no longer works.Setting language to English (United States) re-adds the key. I have a fresh install of a virtual machine with the same settings and this is not an...
  6. cortana not available in English United Kingdom

in Cortana
    cortana not available in English United Kingdom: just updated windows 10 2004 version, feature update and cortana not available but was prior to this update ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-not-available-in-english-united-kingdom/ca2936b3-3eee-4d18-90a8-50757a34b755
  7. language pack english united kingdom experience

in Windows 10 Customization
    language pack english united kingdom experience: cant get rid of this pack and it is trying to take over all language option and just did a fresh clean install of the system with usb that is write protected have only gone into windows update and signed into Microsoft account please help cant find a way to get rid of this...
  8. Cortana not availble in English (United Kingdom) at this time

in Cortana
    Cortana not availble in English (United Kingdom) at this time: I have just had a Windows update build 19013 which seem to work okay until I decided to start using cortana, I have found there is a problem, when I put a prompt in my microphone the big white box appears with, sorry,but Cortana not availble in English (United Kingdom)at this...
  9. Unable to remove English( United Kingdom)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to remove English( United Kingdom): am unable to remove « english(united kingdom) from languages, even though have defined english ( united states) as windows display language https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-remove-english-united-kingdom/362b9ef0-4fa4-464a-8cf3-c0a11408c1bc
  10. How to remove English (United States) United Kingdom Keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove English (United States) United Kingdom Keyboard: Hi, I tried everything in my end and can't remove the English (United States) United Kingdom Keyboard. [img] Region & Language does not show the English United States pack anywhere. [img] Powershell also does not show the English United States pack. [img] Does...