Windows 10: OK to Routinely Run Windows Repair Update?

Discus and support OK to Routinely Run Windows Repair Update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was considering performing a repair upgrade every few months, just to keep Windows in as good a shape as possible. Is there any problem, or downside,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LShel42, Aug 25, 2019.

1. LShel42 Win User

OK to Routinely Run Windows Repair Update?

I was considering performing a repair upgrade every few months, just to keep Windows in as good a shape as possible. Is there any problem, or downside, with doing that?

:)

LShel42, Aug 25, 2019
  2. Kursah Win User

Repair Windows 7/8/10

Repairing Windows 7

Methods of advanced CLI repair were introduced with Windows 7 and Server 2008 that can allow sysadmins and end-users to attempt to resolve issues without wiping their hard drive, re-installing and either losing or restoring data.

I will list the important repair processes I use in the field, at my bench, remotely, for family, etc. that have allowed me to keep a current Windows 7 system deployed and running smooth. Keep in mind this is not a cure-all, some issues will require what is called an in-place upgrade. In more severe cases, a system re-install may still be required. For many it is worth the time to try and avoid that process and I am hopeful that some of you will be saved that hassle with this part of the guide!

If you're having issues with Windows 7, hopefully the below repair instructions will help you confirm OS file corruption and help resolve it.

Spoiler: Windows 7 Repair In-Place Upgrade

If CHKDSK and SFC fail to repair the issues with the system, then the next option is to perform an in-place upgrade. This is comparable to an Operating System Refresh in Windows 8/8.1 and 10. In that it re-installs most of the operating system's files without losing your profiles, data or programs. In many cases this process accomplishes just that.

Time to close the CLI windows and get back into the GUI, unless you want to deploy Windows through CLI. You'll have to source a different guide for that process!

Requirements to perform a Windows 7 and Server 2008 in-place upgrade:
    • Must have installation media that matches the installed OS version and type. You can download that media click here.
    • Must be able to get to the desktop on the affected system to correctly initiate this process, booting to the media will not allow an upgrade to be performed.
    That last rule is the frustrating part of this repair process if you cannot get that far, backup what you can and do a fresh installation. Otherwise proceed.
    • Start the process by using autorun or manually running setup.exe from the installation media.
    • You'll come to the installation window, the options will be Upgrade or Custom. Choose Upgrade. This is critical as choosing custom will force you to overwrite, append or wipe out the current install rather than performing any kind of repair.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts, which should be very few for you to interact with. The overall process looks and is the Windows 7 install GUI. Once it is completed, the system will automatically reboot (may need to more than once).
    • After the reboot(s) after the in-place upgrade you should have a fully functional Windows 7 without issues or corruptions.
    Performing an in-place upgrade makes sense, and gives you a stable and clean running operating system when there's an issue or corruption you just can't fix but things aren't broken enough to warrant a fresh installation. The point of this process is to refresh the Windows 7 OS files but retain your data, programs, and settings. That is precisely what the in-place upgrade procedure accomplishes.

I should also add that this process can be accomplished remotely as well, from start to finish. I have done so with persistent LogMeIn, ScreenConnect and Teamviewer installations on various remote systems I have performed this task on, RDP should work as well. Being able to do this level of repair remotely is a huge benefit to any sysadmins out there looking to keep a client happy and perform that "remote magic" IT guys are known for.

**If at this point your issues are not fixed, then there is something else occurring that is causing the issue be it Malware, hardware, drivers, etc. Please refer to the OP in this thread to run through some of those tests and diagnostics, or create a new thread seeking help and stating what you've tried.**
    Spoiler: Update Windows 7 Successfully Update Windows 7 Successfully

Many of us have or will run into it, the endless hours of waiting for the Windows Update process to actually update or fail trying to update a Windows 7 install. Could be a fresh install, or a years-old install. This will eventually happen to you, unless you run a WSUS server, and even then the OS can get held up. Microsoft has been changing how all supported versions of Windows update, trending towards the cumulative monthly releases. This transition seems to be one of the tipping points on the matter.

Regardless, there are some excellent solutions available to help you keep up your Windows 7 installation.

• Solaris17's Windows Update Utility
      • Recommended method for most users that simply want their Windows 7 installation updated. Run as admin, follow directions, be patient.
      • Please comment in that thread if you need assistance or run into issues. Solaris has made many useful changes and revisions due to good feedback.
    • Update Windows 7 Manually
      • Manually perform the tasks that Solaris's utility does if you prefer.
      • Another source.
      • One last source for good measure!
    • Windows 7 Refreshed Media Creation
      • Creating a Windows Image file (WIM) that contains the necessary updates can make future deployments boatloads easier. This is well worth a read for the more technical types and sys admins.
    Those links should provide you with some very useful ways to handle updating Windows 7. If you run into any issues updating Windows 7, please start a thread or post in a relevant linked thread if its kept current.

Kursah, Aug 25, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 25, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

Ok I did another reboot, disabled windows update service, did step 3 again, this time it installed an update, enabled windows update service and did a reboot and voila!! *Peace OK to Routinely Run Windows Repair Update? :peace:

OK to Routinely Run Windows Repair Update? 20160416_190650-jpg.jpg

P4-630, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

1. OK to Routinely Run Windows Repair Update? - Similar Threads - Routinely Run Repair

2. Is it ok to not update to KB5032189?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it ok to not update to KB5032189?: Hello, i have been delaying the windows update KB5032189, because after the first time it installed my computer slowed down quite a lot, before the update my pc was running very fast, but after that one installation it became super slow, is it ok to not update to that?...
  3. stopped windows 10 routine automatic update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    stopped windows 10 routine automatic update: Sir,Since last six months my all-in-one PC is not updated and I am facing some problems in operating PC .Search windows is not functioning , Start menu is not shown properly and sound high/ low Bar is not shown only sound percentage is shown . Everything was OK while...
  4. stopped windows 10 routine automatic update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    stopped windows 10 routine automatic update: Sir,Since last six months my all-in-one PC is not updated and I am facing some problems in operating PC .Search windows is not functioning , Start menu is not shown properly and sound high/ low Bar is not shown only sound percentage is shown . Everything was OK while...
  5. stopped windows 10 routine automatic update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Is it ok not to install updates?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it ok not to install updates?: I am using windows 10 and i can't install the updates, can i just leave them and use the computer as normal? I am trying for days now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-ok-not-to-install-updates/c03058d8-564a-4d29-916a-e1aaefb5d6d5
  7. ok so i cant roll back the driver routine and i cant update to drivers routine, what should...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ok so i cant roll back the driver routine and i cant update to drivers routine, what should...: when i try to roll back the driver routine, its just an gray area, and i cant update the driver routine either. what should i do to get back the driver routine?...
  8. Windows Update is disabled. You can repair Windows Update by running the Windows Update...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Update is disabled. You can repair Windows Update by running the Windows Update...: I just updated windows and downloaded PSO2 Phantasy Star Online 2 i have checked my regedits and all windows updates, went to settings and checked windows update, the 1st three update opttion in advance settings are enabled, I am currently windows 10 version 1909 for a...
  9. Problem: Microsoft updates routinely delete an app

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem: Microsoft updates routinely delete an app: This can't be right, but it happens. Not on every update, but at least 3-4 times since I installed Windows 10 Home. I'm running 1903 with build 18362.356. But, I never know which update did it, because I only use the app 10-20 times per year. One app seems to come...
  10. Windows 10 runs ok then progressively dies

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 runs ok then progressively dies: I've been directed here from the general forum since it sounds like I have a hardware issue. My symptoms are: Windows 10 Pro, version 1709 Everything OK from bootup for several minutes/an hour or two/perhaps all day, then: Firefox browser won't start. Chrome browser...