Windows 10: OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive?

Discus and support OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We are considering creating two backups of each of our two computers. We have two external hard drives, but we're not sure if we need four! Will File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AMOlson, Feb 9, 2019.

1. AMOlson Win User

OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive?

We are considering creating two backups of each of our two computers. We have two external hard drives, but we're not sure if we need four!

Will File History create backups for two different computers on the same external hard drive?

:)

AMOlson, Feb 9, 2019

2. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Feb 9, 2019
  3. File History is off and won't recognize my external drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• What is the status when you connect your external driver in your system?

• Have you checked with a different external drive? What is the status?

• Have you tried connecting the drive in a different USB port? What is the status?

I suggest you to disable your third party-software (If any) and check if it resolves the issue.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Check if it helps.

You can also try turning on file history by following the below procedure and check if it resolves the issue.

To enable file history on Windows 10, connect an external hard drive and follow the steps below:

• Open Start menu and type
      File History

• Click File History (control panel)

• Tap or click Select a drive, and choose the network or external drive you want to use.

• Turn on File History
    Note: If the network drive you want isn’t in the list of available drives, tap or click Show all network locations. If the drive you want isn’t listed there either, open File History in Control Panel, tap or click Add
    a network location, and follow the instructions on the screen.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 9, 2019
  4. OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive?

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Feb 9, 2019
Thema:

OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive?

1. OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive? - Similar Threads - File History more

2. Email used with more than one account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Email used with more than one account: Hello,Since some days, when I try to connect to answers.microsoft.com, I see a page telling me: "It looks like this email is used with more than one account from Microsoft. Which one do you want to use?".If I select the 1st choice "Work or school account", it is a failure.If...
  3. Email used with more than one account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Email used with more than one account: Hello,Since some days, when I try to connect to answers.microsoft.com, I see a page telling me: "It looks like this email is used with more than one account from Microsoft. Which one do you want to use?".If I select the 1st choice "Work or school account", it is a failure.If...
  4. Email used with more than one account

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. using the same iso file in more than a computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    using the same iso file in more than a computers: is it legal to use the same windows iso file in other computers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-the-same-iso-file-in-more-than-a-computers/63094127-e316-4572-846f-aedbf2779aba
  6. periodic backup to external drive using file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    periodic backup to external drive using file history: If I set up my files to be backed up to an external hard drive using file history, do I have to keep the external drive connected continuously? Or can I hook up external drive periodically?...
  7. OneDrive will delete your files if you use more than one PC with the same microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive will delete your files if you use more than one PC with the same microsoft account.: Beware of using OneDrive as a means to synchronize files between more than one PC using the same microsoft account. Unlike Dropbox, which allows multiple PC to have a shared Dropbox folder that synchronizes across PCs, OneDrive fails to keep track of file added from...
  8. Personal email address used with more than one account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personal email address used with more than one account: For the last few weeks I've been trying to solve why when I sign in to Microsoft online services with my personal email address I am met with the following message: It looks like this email address is being used with more than one account from Microsoft. Which one do you...
  9. Can Win10 Make More Than One Copy of File History?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can Win10 Make More Than One Copy of File History?: Can I make more than one copy of Windows File History? I currently save my File History backups to an external hard drive. I was wondering if I could also save a second File History to a USB "thumb" drive? I could use the external hard drive to save a File History once...
  10. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...