Windows 10: Old computer hard drive used space does not add up and cannot access to all files

Discus and support Old computer hard drive used space does not add up and cannot access to all files in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My computer is experiencing a critical issue where it is unable to load into the desktop environment, leaving me with a black screen and only the mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Sylar Darrenneyan, May 18, 2024.

1. Old computer hard drive used space does not add up and cannot access to all files

My computer is experiencing a critical issue where it is unable to load into the desktop environment, leaving me with a black screen and only the mouse pointer visible. Despite attempting various troubleshooting methods such as running "explorer.exe" through Task Manager and resetting Windows while preserving personal files, the issue persists. As a last resort, I have decided to reinstall Windows. Before proceeding with the reinstallation, I have removed the hard drive from the malfunctioning computer and converted it into an external hard drive to retrieve important files. However, I'm encou

:)

Sylar Darrenneyan, May 18, 2024
  2. Argel Obm Win User

files from a system reserved drive

Hi Malathi,

We need to clarify some information first for us to better understand your file recovery concern. Please provide the answers to the questions below:

• Have you accessed Disk Management to see if the hard drive of your old laptop has used space? This will help us verify if your files from your old laptop is still saved in the hard drive. To access Disk Management, follow these steps:
      • Right-click the Windows logo (Start button).
      • Choose Disk Management.
    • Have you checked if you can see the files inside the hard drive when enabling
      Hidden items? To see hidden items, follow these instructions:
      • Access File Explorer.
      • On upper-right part of File Explorer, click View.
      • Click the checkbox beside Hidden items.
    • Can you see the files inside the hard drive of your old laptop when connecting it on another computer?

Argel Obm, May 18, 2024
  3. Using up space on hard drive

Further to Anthony's reply, I didn't upgrade to Windows 10. My new computer - less than 6 weeks old - came with Windows 10 pre installed. And its STILL using up space on the hard drive. Which it shouldn't be doing - I'm not downloading, merely streaming.
    Any suggestions ? Nick

NickSpokes, May 18, 2024
  4. Old computer hard drive used space does not add up and cannot access to all files

No space on hard drive due to system reserved patition and installer files

Hi Ruth,

The issue may occur due to corrupted system files or memory full. In order for us to assist you, please answer the questions below:

• What is the exact error message?
    • Can you please provide us a screenshot of your hard drive status.

To isolate the issue, we suggest to check this article of Andre Da Costa:
    How to free up disk space in Windows
    . It contains troubleshooting steps and explanation pertaining to the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, May 18, 2024
Thema:

Old computer hard drive used space does not add up and cannot access to all files

1. Old computer hard drive used space does not add up and cannot access to all files - Similar Threads - Old computer hard

2. Accessing files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing files from old hard drive: My old laptop crashed. I was able to get the hard drive out of the laptop and I got a reader. This old laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 long before it died. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 11. When I hook up to the old hard drive, it will not allow me to access my...
  3. Accessing files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing files from old hard drive: My old laptop crashed. I was able to get the hard drive out of the laptop and I got a reader. This old laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 long before it died. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 11. When I hook up to the old hard drive, it will not allow me to access my...
  4. Accessing files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Old computer hard drive used space does not add up and cannot access to all files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old computer hard drive used space does not add up and cannot access to all files: My computer is experiencing a critical issue where it is unable to load into the desktop environment, leaving me with a black screen and only the mouse pointer visible. Despite attempting various troubleshooting methods such as running "explorer.exe" through Task Manager and...
  6. Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive: I need to retrieve some very important files from a hard drive that has not been in use for more than a year after I needed the ram from that PC for something else because my current Windows 10 PC decided to purge these files without my consent and I am UNABLE to access these...
  7. using old hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    using old hard drives: I have two 500 gb ssd's on my old pc that I used for file storage and games. Can I take those out of my old pc and hook them up in my new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-old-hard-drives/2db83d2f-0c2c-4d23-80e5-623fbc526676"
  8. Used Hard Drive Space does not match

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Used Hard Drive Space does not match: my c: drive says I've used 192G... when I select all folders and click properties its says I've used 80.1 G. How do I fix? [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  9. New computer can't access old hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New computer can't access old hard drives: My old Asus laptop died last week, psu might be the issue. Anyway, decided to get a new laptop and just try to retrieve my info with an IDE/SATA adapter. Every time I connect up the old hard drive, the usual jingle chimes in to let me know I've connected something, but the...
  10. File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access

in Windows 10 Support
    File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access: Hi all! I've searched across the web for help with this and nothing has seemed to work so far. I pulled a hard drive out of my old Windows 7 (I think) PC and I was trying to salvage some old family photos. I found a file with a lock icon on it. It allows me inside, but all...