Windows 10: Old computers not yet compatible with 1703 (Broadcom 440x driver)

Discus and support Old computers not yet compatible with 1703 (Broadcom 440x driver) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Edit: See below for info on a fix ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Just a heads up for anyone with an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidY, Apr 29, 2017.

1. DavidY Win User

Old computers not yet compatible with 1703 (Broadcom 440x driver)

Edit: See below for info on a fix

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a heads up for anyone with an old computer (Vista/XP era, I guess) who wants to upgrade to the Creators' Update (1703).

Before you try the upgrade, check you don't have a Broadcom 440x ethernet driver. On my computer it's listed in Device Manager as:
    "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller"

Old computers not yet compatible with 1703 (Broadcom 440x driver) [​IMG]

If you *do* have that device, read on before you upgrade.

Although Anniversary Update (1607) works fine with this driver, currently (30 April 2017), if Windows 10 Creators' Update (1703) is installed, the driver will stop a clean-install from completing (circling dots circle for ever). On an upgrade install, the ethernet driver also takes down the WiFi driver so you can't connect to a network through either route. They look OK in Device Manager but they aren't. Neither can you simply 'Disable' the offending driver in Device Manager - it just seems to hang.

This thread on Microsoft Answers has a post from a Microsoft person saying they know about the bug in Creators' Update and are trying to fix it:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-a64b92445385
    On the thread some people have got 1703 to install by disabling the ethernet hardware in their BIOS, but some computers (like mine) don't have that option.

But I think the best course is to wait for Microsoft to issue a fix.
    Edit:
    There is now an official fix released, in the latest cumulative update to version 1703.

https://answers.microsoft.com/messag...3-a64b92445385

The only thing I'm not sure is whether the downloadable ISOs will contain the fix. But I imagine that if you use the latest Media Creation Toolkit for 1703, the cumulative update will be included in any media you create.

:)

DavidY, Apr 29, 2017
  2. helga123 Win User

Windows 10 Creator Upgrade Kills Internet Connection

The problem with the Broadcom 440x NIC controller has been resolved with a recent Windows 10 update, so it is now unnecessary to disable the Broadcom 440x NIC in the BIOS settings. The Broadcom 440x NIC can now be used in Windows 10, with all the latest
    updates installed.

helga123, Apr 29, 2017
  3. Lilla45 Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update broke my LAN port

Same here with Dell Dimension E521 (with latest BIOS), and Broadcom 440x 10-100

NOTE WORTHY: Even with Broadcom 440x enabled, I was still able to install the Creators Update via Windows Update, without a hiccup.
    Except 'no internet access' after updating, until I disabled Broadcom 440x. Details below.

2017-04-13 I updated from Windows 10 Home 64-bit from v1607 (aka Anniversary Update, released July 29 2016) to v1703 (aka Creators Update, released Apr 11 2017) via Windows Update.

After installing Creators Update, Device Manager > Network Adapters …

• Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (Ethernet connector on the motherboard)

“This device is working properly”

Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver Date: 10/14/2008, Driver Version: 4.60.0.2
    • Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter (external)

“This device is working properly”
    It is interesting that initially, before installing the Creators Update, I was using the Ethernet adapter (Broadcom). The Wireless adapter (Realtek) was connected, but was disabled (via Windows Device Manager).

ISSUE: The Creators Update went smoothly and installed completely without so much as a hiccup. However, when I sat down to use the computer I noticed a problem: The icon on the taskbar had a yellow triangle on it and reported ‘no internet access’, and yet
    Device Manager reported that both network adapters were ‘working properly’.

SOLUTION: Disable your Broadcom 440x adapter in Device Manager (or BIOS) and your Wireless adapter will then work. See details in Action 2 below.

CONCLUSION and QUESTION: Broadcom 440x was supported in Windows v1607, but is not in v1703. Is this intentional, or is it a bug? Since v1703 just started going out to users via Windows Update on Apr 11, and it is now only Apr 13, it makes me wonder if perhaps
    they will release a fix for this.

ACTIONS taken to try and resolve the problem.

• Action 1 (no change, problem persisted). I ran the Windows Troubleshooter (Settings > Network & Security > Troubleshoot). It indicated there was a problem with my wireless adapter. So, I tried to disable the
      wireless adapter in Device Manager, however, it just displayed a circle that kept spinning forever. So, I closed that window, shutdown the computer, disconnected the Wireless USB cable from the back of the computer, and then restarted the computer. Results:
      No change, problem persisted, icon on taskbar still said ‘No internet access’.
    • Action 2 (worked). I did some research and found a discussion thread titled “No network after Creators Update” (Installation: Kein Netzwerk nach Creators Update).
      This thread included this workaround (my wording): disable your Broadcom 440x driver in Device Manager (or BIOS) and your wireless adapter will start working. However, when I tried to disable the Broadcom 440x driver in Device Manager, it displayed a circle
      that just kept spinning forever. So, I closed that window, shutdown the computer, unplugged the Ethernet cable, and plugged in my Wireless (Realtek) USB cable, and then restarted the computer. It worked, I was once again able to connect to the internet.
    • Action 3 (optional). In Device Manager, uninstall the Broadcom driver. In BIOS, disable the Integrated NIC (Broadcom 440x) port.

Lilla45, Apr 29, 2017
  4. DavidY Win User

Just to flag up that there was an update on this issue on June 6th from a Microsoft representative (page 10 of this thread)

DavidY, Jun 16, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    I guess you won't be offered an automatic update to the CU until MS consider the upgrade is suitable for your PC. I haven't been offered the CU yet for my 3 year old Dell Inspiron laptop.

Steve C, Jun 16, 2017
  6. DavidY Win User
    Yeah - as far as I can tell from comments earlier in that thread, once they found out about the issue, they blocked it so that the CU won't be offered automatically for devices with that Broadcom network adaptor, until they fix it.

Your 3 year old Dell is unlikely to have this particular Broadcom device though. More likely it's just that they roll out CU gradually, starting with newest devices first as the most likely to be compatible, and haven't got to yours yet. Plus there's probably a link in the Windows Update page in settings which I think allows you to upgrade voluntarily, so they will get some folk upgraded that way before they start mandating it to everyone.

DavidY, Jun 16, 2017
  7. Try3 Win User
    Thanks for the warning. I have an old upgraded XP that is almost-but-not-quite** Windows 10 compatible and, fortunately, its BIOS does have the ability to disable the Broadcom 440x.

Ver 1607 runs without any problems other than the two annoyances** mentioned below. I intend to install Ver 1703 in the next week or two so I will disable the LAN card in the BIOS before I do so. I'll post back here if I learn anything useful.

Denis

** [caregiver for a Dell Inspiron 9300 from October 2005] So far, the only drawbacks in Windows 10 have been that PowerCfg Battery Reports cannot be produced and Task scheduler cannot wake it from sleep despite all the normal settings being made. Turning off an unused LAN card will not be any great loss.

8. DavidY Win User

There's been an update over on the Microsoft Answers thread:

DavidY, Jun 21, 2017
  9. Try3 Win User
    Thanks for the warning. I have an old upgraded XP that is almost-but-not-quite** Windows 10 compatible and, fortunately, its BIOS does have the ability to disable the Broadcom 440x.

I disabled the Broadcom 440x in the BIOS & installed Ver 1703 this morning and everything is fine. No surprises at all [the two annoyances** continue, as they will until this venerable computer finally goes the way of all things].

Denis

** [caregiver for a Dell Inspiron 9300 from October 2005] So far, the only drawbacks in Windows 10 have been that PowerCfg Battery Reports cannot be produced and Task scheduler cannot wake it from sleep despite all the normal settings being made. Turning off an unused LAN card will not be any great loss.

10. erpster4 Win User
    what kind of computer are you using, DavidY?

My mom's Dell Inspiron 640m/e1405 laptop has a BIOS option to disable/enable the integrated NIC controller for the Broadcom 440x LAN device. Also the integrated Broadcom 440x LAN controller is not only just for laptops, it's also featured on desktop PCs as well like the Dell Optiplex 320 & Dimension C521/E521.

Looks like I'll upgrade to the upcoming Windows 10 fall creators update (1709) release when that one comes out next season, which is almost 3 months away and will skip the 1703 release. In the meantime, I'll stay with the anniversary update 1607 release since that version is working well.

erpster4, Jul 9, 2017
  11. DavidY Win User
    Mine's an Acer laptop, but no BIOS option unfortunately.

Yes I'll probably end up skipping to the second Creators' Update as well. The machine needs a clean install in any case so I may as well wait until the next release and clean-install that one.

DavidY, Jul 9, 2017
  12. MartinO Win User
    Ugh...!! wish I had seen this last night, especially since I can disable the NIC in my BIOS. Describes exactly my problem, but it would've never occurred to me it was the Broadcom that screwed up all other network adapters.

Anyway, I'll stick to my plan to go ahead with a dual boot of 1607 and 1703 so I can test the latter while continue to work on this computer.

MartinO, Jul 13, 2017
  13. erpster4 Win User

wow Acer is really stupid for not including a BIOS option to disable/enable onboard LAN or integrated LAN/NIC.
    at least Dell and HP have such BIOS option available [now I know my next desktop or laptop PC won't be an Acer brand, ha *Biggrin]

no recent cumulative update for Win10 v1703 will make the Broadcom 440x device work under there - I tried it last month with KB4022725 & KB4022716 and Win10 v1703 either hangs on the startup screen with the circling dots or hangs on the desktop & constantly using between 50%-100% CPU resources when the Broadcom 440x device is enabled.

erpster4, Jul 16, 2017
  14. DavidY Win User
    Well it's still going and it's 10 years old, so I can't really complain.
    Realistically I think all laptop manufacturers have changed so much in that time that it's probably not useful to judge them based on what they were like 10 years ago, whether good or bad.
    The Preview versions of the *next* Creators Update should have the fix though, including the ISO version that's in Slow Ring. Although I can't get it to update further on that laptop. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't issue a fix to 1703 and just tell people to skip to 1709 (or whatever it turns out to be), as it isn't that far away.

DavidY, Jul 16, 2017
  15. DavidY Win User
    It looks like there is now an official fix in the latest cumulative update to version 1703.

https://answers.microsoft.com/messag...3-a64b92445385

DavidY, Aug 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Old computers not yet compatible with 1703 (Broadcom 440x driver) - Similar Threads - Old computers yet

2. Broadcom 802.11ac 101.10.340.2 driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broadcom 802.11ac 101.10.340.2 driver: Hi Looking for a link to Broadcom 802.11ac network adapter drivers version 101.10.340.2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broadcom-80211ac-101103402-driver/1ec652af-6dce-442b-be77-d150aac80ede
  3. Broadcom 802.11ac 101.10.340.2 driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broadcom 802.11ac 101.10.340.2 driver: Hi Looking for a link to Broadcom 802.11ac network adapter drivers version 101.10.340.2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broadcom-80211ac-101103402-driver/1ec652af-6dce-442b-be77-d150aac80ede
  4. Compatible yet no update available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatible yet no update available: Device: HP 470 G8.Considering that the device is compatible, how advisable is it to manually install Windows 11 via USB Flashdrive and the official application, that creates a bootable drive, rather than waiting for the update to roll out?There might be a reason for the...
  5. Compatible yet no update available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compatible yet no update available: Device: HP 470 G8.Considering that the device is compatible, how advisable is it to manually install Windows 11 via USB Flashdrive and the official application, that creates a bootable drive, rather than waiting for the update to roll out?There might be a reason for the...
  6. Are Conexant/Synaptics Audio driver compatibility issues fixed yet?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Are Conexant/Synaptics Audio driver compatibility issues fixed yet?: Hi, I'm thinking about updating to Windows 10 2004 and I'm wondering if the problem with certain Conexant and Synaptics audio drivers has been fixed. I can't find anywhere that says whether it has been or not. I have a Lenovo Flex 14IWL 2019 with the "Synaptics Audio" sound...
  7. Is old computer compatible with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is old computer compatible with Windows 10?: submitted by /u/jinx612 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iqhhms/is_old_computer_compatible_with_windows_10/
  8. Recent drivers' compatibility with relatively old hardware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recent drivers' compatibility with relatively old hardware: Hi , I am in possession of an acer Travelmate P253-E which has a few connectivity issue. Internet cuts in and out all the time , and it only happens within my LAN. My first guess was that my drivers are not up to date, so I tried to update , but I couldn't install the latest...
  9. Deleted broadcom 802.11 driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Deleted broadcom 802.11 driver: I have deleted the driver. I have tried to update hardware thing in device manager and it didn’t work. I couldnt download the driver itself i could only download the updating versions or etc. How can i fix it i cant connect to internet...
  10. Broadcom wifi driver question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Broadcom wifi driver question: Does anyone here know if the issue where if you have a broadcom chipset wifi card windows 10 updates past and including 1709 will brick your wifi has been resolved? 109328