Windows 10: old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709

Discus and support old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Since the upgrade to Fall Creators update the old style Defender UI MSASCui.exe produces an error if you try to look at Quarantined items on the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Bree, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Bree New Member

old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709

Since the upgrade to Fall Creators update the old style Defender UI MSASCui.exe produces an error if you try to look at Quarantined items on the History tab.

Error loading type library/DLL
    Error code: 0x80029c4a

I'm not the only one, apparently. Also reported here...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...cc78197?auth=1

:)

2. can anyone help me to sort windows defenderwhen i click on qaurantine saying that library dll error code 0x8029c4a

This error can occur in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709) if you are using a shortcut to open Windows Defender, and that shortcut was created while using Windows 10 version 1703.

Windows Defender Antivirus had an updated experience that shipped with Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703), which was designed to be easier to use and provide a comprehensive security experience. However, the old UI from version 1703 is no longer supported
    in version 1709.

To resolve the error, we recommend you delete any previous shortcuts you were using launch Windows Defender and create a new shortcut within Windows 10 version 1709.

You can also use this work around:

Right-click on the desktop and select New > Shortcut.

Then copy and paste this line for the “location”:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"

Now right-click on the shortcut and choose “Run as administrator”.

That should give you access to the History tab.

or

Press Windows key + R

Type: MSASCui.exe

Hit Enter

Andre Da Costa, Oct 19, 2017
  3. Display issues

KB4041994 is quite a few months old, it pre-dated the 1709 Fall Creator Update.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 19, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

I have found that it can be made to work, but only if it is run as Administrator. Must be a permissions snafu.

5. Fix MSE Utility is a portable utility which will reset all the Registry and other settings of Microsoft Security Essentials to its default value. This utility will restore all its registry values & service settings to known good defaults, without re-installing MSE. It also re-registers the concerned .dll and .exe files, required to run MSE properly.

FreeBooter, Oct 19, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    And this would help Defender how exactly?

I do not have MSE installed, I couldn't even if I wanted to. MSE is not compatible with Win10 (or Win8, come to that) and cannot be installed. This utility was written in 2009 for Win7+MSE. Who knows what registry settings it could damage for Win10's built-in Defender.

No, this seems to be a problem that Microsoft introduced in 1709. They appear to have changed permissions somewhere (probably in the registry) and forgot to update the old UI. It is reproducible on all machines I have updated to Fall Creators Update. It requires a fix from Microsoft in (the next?) cumulative update.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-1b0834082059

7. Bree New Member
  8. Steve C Win User

This is a useful tip. I just created a shortcut in my user account and confirm it now works fine.

Steve C, Dec 8, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    If you have had the 6th Dec. update to the malware engine you no longer need to run as administrator, it works fine without that now.

Check its Help > About to find the version, the update takes you to: Antimalware Client Version: 4.12.17007.17123

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709 - Similar Threads - old defender broken

2. "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators: In Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! Solved - Windows 10 Forums I posted of my confusion, a problem now solved, about an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 10 installed suddenly being unable to download and install updates. "Net" of that...
  3. Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly: Hi All Not sure if this is a real issue or not, but it shows Other Updates all Failed, is it Related to Avast Free 17.8? or just a Windows 10 Update glitch, or nothing to be concerned about, I can try the update reset if need be 97860
  4. Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update: Hello How to turn off driver update via regedit ? os windows 10 fall creatros update 1709 Thank you 99435
  5. Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items: This got to be a bug in version 1709 because despite installing all updates and rebooting many times, after I Unpin From Start from the items from the Start Menu Items list, they reappear after I start up again. Microsoft again, messed up big time on this... See...
  6. Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop: After upgrading window 10 to the Fall UC, i'm having some problems with remote desktop: two pc both with 1709: Sometimes the login stuck and i only see the login image with the user icon but it does not enter the descktop, some other times it ask for password again, it...
  7. Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index: I got the Fall Creator’s update recently, and it somehow broke Windows’ indexing of programs. I'm currently on Winver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.64). Before the problem: Windows 10/drive C: is installed on a 250GB SSD, but most programs are installed on a conventional 640 GB...
  8. Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues: I am having issues updating from 1703 to 1709, and I could use some help. I used the native Windows Update tool to download 1709. I restarted my computer when prompted to begin the installation. I got about a quarter of the way through the installation when I got a blue...
  9. Rumor: Fall Creators Update is Windows 10 version 1709

in Windows 10 News
    Rumor: Fall Creators Update is Windows 10 version 1709: it appears that Microsoft has referenced the version number for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update in related documentation. A blog post (first spotted by WZor) related to the the Policy device description framework (DDF) file in Windows mentions "Windows 10, version...
  10. Windows Fall Creators Update 1709 Problems Please Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Fall Creators Update 1709 Problems Please Help: Hello,I have successfully installed the update But my Acer Aspire F 15 Notebook wont Reboot and shuts of when I use AIMP4 and A Browser at the same time,there are other issues but this is the worst,in generally my pc runs like the wind.*Mad 100134