Windows 10: Old Dell 9400/E1705 Workhorse ATI x1400 Driver for Windows 10

Discus and support Old Dell 9400/E1705 Workhorse ATI x1400 Driver for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've had the Dell Inspiron 9400 (E1705) for years, upgraded it to Win 7 Ultimate and the ATI x1400 driver with Mobility Modder to get full screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ethersurfer, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Old Dell 9400/E1705 Workhorse ATI x1400 Driver for Windows 10

I've had the Dell Inspiron 9400 (E1705) for years, upgraded it to Win 7 Ultimate and the ATI x1400 driver with Mobility Modder to get full screen resolution functionality and better performance.
    Windows update showed the Win10 icon and I ran a compatibility test which returned a favorable upgrade result - so I ran the update. Obviously the Modded driver is gone - replaced by a generic MS driver that gives me only 2 resolutions and poor video performance.
    The 9400 is old, heavy, and slow - but it's a "tank" and great for just sitting on the kitchen counter for recipes. If the CPU isn't overloaded with background missions - it's a solid and reliable performer for a limited set of tasks.
    Can anyone suggest a fix or mod to get the x1400 running on Windows 10?
    Thanx

:)

ethersurfer, Aug 25, 2015

2. Intel graphics media accelerator not compatible with windows 10

I have a Dell Inpiron 9400 with ATI Radeon X1400 and was getting the message that it was not compatible. I followed your steps and have now upgraded to Win10.

Thanks a lot!

JohnyMathew, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Vortex-5 Win User
    After updating to creator's update BSOD with the ATI Radeon x1400

Just wanted to note a configuration that is BSOD on startup.

Once I install the 1709 update it goes back to the microsoft basic video driver.

Upon switching to the ATI Radeon x1400 driver on my laptop (version 10.2 unfortunately hasn't been updated since vista x64) windows instantly BSOD before reaching the login screen.

I had to roll back to the last 1703.

System configuration for Microsoft's records:

Dell Inspiron 9400 / e1705

Video card ATI x1400

Lan: broadcom x440

I would recommend Microsoft put a block on offering the update to 1709 until the BSOD driver issue can be addressed for the video card. This I'd imagine is similar to what they did with the broadcom x440 which a temp block was put on it until microsoft was
    able to address the issue.

If anyone in the community has a work around I'd be glad to hear it, using the basic driver is a not a good solution as I can't use the native resolution on the old aging laptop. For the time being I've rolled back and everything is good again. I've also
    temporarily switched to the current branch for business to defer feature updates for now again.

It would be nice to be on current branch if it would stop offering me an update that would BSOD on startup tough.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

Vortex-5, Aug 25, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Old Dell 9400/E1705 Workhorse ATI x1400 Driver for Windows 10

Have look at this article from March this year. Might work for you too (maybe with a few changes)

WhyMe, Aug 25, 2015
  5. WhyMe!
    One of the few times where advice worked like a charm!
    Thanks!
    *Smile

ethersurfer, Aug 26, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    You're welcome!

Please mark the thread as solved to help others. (click on the button)

WhyMe, Aug 26, 2015
  7. Whyme, The link to the website you gave is not working anymore and I have no idea which one it should be. Would you mind posting a new link? Thanks!

Godsfunambulator, Oct 31, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

I'm using the windows 7 driver for my ATI Radeon x1600 from the update catalog and it works very well on Windows 10.

If you want the X1400 then using Internet Explorer go here http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/..."radeon x1400" and accept the add-on when Internet Explorer prompts you. (It will not work with other browsers).

It isn't obvious so download the larger windows 7 file if you have 64 bit and the smaller if you have 32 bit.

Old Dell 9400/E1705 Workhorse ATI x1400 Driver for Windows 10 [​IMG]

Extract the contents of the .cab file you downloaded with 7-zip to some folder.

Go to device manager, display adapters and right click on "Microsoft basic display adapter" (I've already updated mine in the picture below).

Click on "update driver software", "browse my computer for driver software", browse to the folder you extracted from the .cab and click OK.

Old Dell 9400/E1705 Workhorse ATI x1400 Driver for Windows 10 [​IMG]

9. spapakons Win User
    If you are running Windows 10 32-bit, you can also download the official AMD Vista 32-bit driver from the hide any AMD driver update so it is not replaced, it should work fine.

spapakons, Oct 31, 2015
  10. Thanks to both of you. I will be using these links a soon as I do the upgrade. I am waiting for now until I get more time...or if win8 starts giving me more problems.

Godsfunambulator, Nov 15, 2015
  11. Okay, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my old Dell e1705 but I can no longer use the computer while in a video chat. And the video chat itself is very choppy. So I was going through the instruction you gave but realized I do not have an AMD videocard but have the graphics intel 945 chipset. At least of the links you posted took me to a paid driver utility instead of the actually download location. Any suggestions on how to get the right drivers? I am hoping this will fix both the video chatting and allowing me to again multitask. Thanks again! Lawrence

Godsfunambulator, Jan 12, 2016
  12. spapakons Win User
    No problem! There is an official Intel Window Vista driver for Intel 945G graphics. Run the setup in Windows Vista compatibility mode with Administrator rights. If this doesn't work, open it with WinRAR to extract the files in a folder and install the driver manually from Device Manager.

Link for the 32-bit driver version

Link for the 64-bit driver version

I have successfully installed that driver in Windows 7 and 8, so I hope it will also work in Windows 10 without any issue. Don't forget to also install DirectX 9.0c runtime for compatibility with older games.

Link for latest (June 2010) offline DirectX 9.0c (so you can install in any other computer running XP and newer without downloading again)

spapakons, Jan 12, 2016
  13. Old Dell 9400/E1705 Workhorse ATI x1400 Driver for Windows 10

Thanks again for the fast reply and the links! Old Dell 9400/E1705 Workhorse ATI x1400 Driver for Windows 10 :). I just tried running the Intel utility, and unfortunately after it unpackages itself it gives an error and says "This operating system is not supported. Setup will exit." I am running the latest Win10 32-bit.

Any other suggestions?

Godsfunambulator, Jan 13, 2016
  14. spapakons Win User
    Download the 32-bit driver. If you don't already have WinRAR, you can download and install it from WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files. Right click on the driver and select Open with WinRAR, then extract the files to a folder. Go at Device Manager (search for device to see link), expand Display Adapters and right-click on the graphics card. Select Update Driver, but do not let Windows automatically search for the driver. Instead select the last option and then again the last option. You should see a "Have disk" button, click on that and browse to the folder you extracted the files. If it gives you a list, select the first Intel 945G model from the list and continue. Ignore any warning that Windows cannot verify compatibility and proceed. Restart the computer and you should be OK.

spapakons, Jan 13, 2016
  15. Thank you very much for the reply with details. I tried this last night, when downloading the trial version of WINRAR.

Once I referred to the driver my screens went black and after waiting more than 10 mins and even trying to restart using ctrl alt delete to restart blind,I ended up using the power button. Upon starting Windows the icons were all big and out of proportion so after a quick test of seeing the problem persisted, I restarted again. This time icons were all at the correct display resolution. I fired up chatting again and it seemed to be able too multitask at a reasonable speed. Then later my wife got on and it was back to its old problems of jumpy video chatting and not being able to multitask even to do a basic web search.

Do you have any other suggestions or do you think I should just throw in the rag and downgrade back to win 8?

Thanks! Lawrence

Godsfunambulator, Jan 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Old Dell 9400/E1705 Workhorse ATI x1400 Driver for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Old Dell 9400

2. OLD DELL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OLD DELL: HiWhat causes it when i have 3 websites open at the same time reading one of them then all of a sudden they all close at ounce, is it my HDthank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-dell/8f9d5ffc-e1ff-4882-be4c-c9d4964e4ec9
  3. ati mobilty radon 5650 driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ati mobilty radon 5650 driver: After installing ati mobility radon 5650 driver computer crash. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ati-mobilty-radon-5650-driver/51b8ae81-fdbf-433c-b98f-2cee16225360
  4. windows 10 32bit drivers for ATI Radeon HD 3870

windows 10 32bit drivers for ATI Radeon HD 3870: Windows 10 32bit drivers for ATI Radeon HD 3870Where to download driver for the above. Thanks W F Bennett https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-32bit-drivers-for-ati-radeon-hd-3870/27e1f89c-39d4-40ab-a7f5-c86d48650314
  5. ATI RAdeon drivers

ATI RAdeon drivers: Dell Studio. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650. When I installed 2004...resolution was terrible, and this driver was no longer available. No updated drivers on their website as they have discontinued support for this driver. Apparently I will have to buy a new computer when...
  6. Is an old HP Pro Book workhorse mechanically too old for latest W10 updates?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is an old HP Pro Book workhorse mechanically too old for latest W10 updates?: I bought a used HP ProBook from a reliable computer shop, which installed a high speed hard drive and Windows 10 last year. It ran very quickly until Microsoft dropped the KB4549951 update on me. I uninstalled it, and thought I had resolved the problems, but with every...
  7. GeForce 9400 Motherboard Drivers

GeForce 9400 Motherboard Drivers: Greetings. Need help locating w10 motherboard drivers based on the antique Nvidia Geforce 9400 chipset, in particular the co-processor driver. Appreciate any assistance. Many thanks and best regards, 144329
  8. my ati hd 4200 driver windows 10 laptop

my ati hd 4200 driver windows 10 laptop: hi i need to know how i can install my ati hd 4200 video in compatiblity mode in windowsd10 please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/my-ati-hd-4200-driver-windows-10-laptop/5adc8849-a17a-46cd-a456-fafcbf752f18
  9. This is not a supported system. on E1705

This is not a supported system. on E1705: Hello world, I am having trouble installing Quickset on a old E1705. It says the following This is not an supported system. Setup cannot complete. Is there a download link that supports win10 and for e1705? the laptop (e1705) has Windows 10 and 4gb of ram. Thanks BM *Smile...
  10. Can't find drivers for old ATI RADEON X1300

Can't find drivers for old ATI RADEON X1300: The hardware ID in device manager is Vendor 1002 and device id 7166 which pcidatabase says is "ATI RADEON X1300 / X1550 Series Secondary". Windows update didn't find anything nor did slimdrivers nor did ATI autdetect utility. I just formatted it from windows 7 which used to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bsod win 10 ati 1400