Windows 10: Old desktop icons

Discus and support Old desktop icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I did a complete Windows 10 reset on my desktop pc. It left the old icons still showing on it. When I right-click on the icons to delete them it acts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by slowboy, Aug 29, 2018.

1. slowboy Win User

Old desktop icons

I did a complete Windows 10 reset on my desktop pc. It left the old icons still showing on it. When I right-click on the icons to delete them it acts as if it doesn't see the icons and goes to the drop down menu for 'view, sort by, refresh, new, display settings, personalize'.

I've reset a couple times but icons are still there.

Anyone know what to do to fix this please?

Thanks,

Keith

:)

slowboy, Aug 29, 2018

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 29, 2018
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Aug 29, 2018
  4. Old desktop icons

Desktop Icons

Hello Glenda,

Share this information to assist you better.

• Is the issue particular to the Comcast?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates?
    • Did you try changing icons of other shortcuts?
    Follow the steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Press Windows+I to open Settings panel, and click
    Personalization to access Personalization settings.

Step 2: Tap Change desktop icons on the top left in the Personalization window.

Step 3: In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select the icon of
    This PC and click Change Icon.

Step 4: Choose a new icon from the list, and tap OK.

Step 5: Click OK to confirm the change.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Aug 29, 2018
Thema:

Old desktop icons

1. Old desktop icons - Similar Threads - Old desktop icons

2. old desktop picture

in Windows 10 Customization
    old desktop picture: Good morning,I changed my desktop background but I lost the reference to the previous one.I know I can find the current location taking a look at the following register key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper Do you have any idea about how I can find the...
  3. Need desktop icons from old pc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need desktop icons from old pc.: Hi, I saved the old drive and connected it to my new pc as an external drive. I'm trying to access the prior desktop icons to use them on my new pc. Please advise. Thank you! Joe...
  4. Desktop icons moved, old ones reappeared.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons moved, old ones reappeared.: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363. 720) At switch-on this afternoon the desktop icons had been moved and other ones which were stored in a desktop folder were displayed too. I am now in the process of placing them where I want them but they are moving without touching them even...
  5. desktop icon

desktop icon: how do I get the edge desktop icon onto the desk top. drag and drop do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon/c319dfe3-84c8-4e70-a042-79c898cc3037
  6. Desktop Icon

Desktop Icon: Out of nowhere new icon appeared on my desktop “removable storage devices” and there is no option to remove it. Pls. help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon/1cc0c65f-aab6-4397-a335-48b79d5a0bc5
  7. My old desktop

My old desktop: I got Windows 10 when it first came out, i had some updates a while ago and this morning it took for ever for my desktop to appear and when it did it was not my original desktop that i had before. How do i get my old desktop back????...
  8. Desktop with icons

Desktop with icons: I have lost the page that opens at start up that is my desktop with icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/desktop-with-icons/0200c1b4-6f87-4a32-93bf-04603658ed1d
  9. Desktop icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop icon on desktop: Hi, A desktop icon suddenly appeared on my desktop.. If I delete it, the whole desktop is also deleted... The desktop folder on the drive, does not contain that icon. Does anyone has any experience with this scenario? *Smile 5511
  10. old desktop icons reappered - can't delete

in Windows 10 Support
    old desktop icons reappered - can't delete: I have a load of old shorcuts reappered on my desktop, they are not clickable so can't delete them & they are also not appearing in my desktop folder, i have tried to delete the thumbnail cache but had no luck, how can i get rid of theses? 47567