Windows 10: Old files not showing up in Windows Search

Discus and support Old files not showing up in Windows Search in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello everyone! Recently I have bought a new SSD drive and I decided not to clone the old drive, but to install a new system (Windows 10). Everything... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by KingZero121, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Old files not showing up in Windows Search

Hello everyone!

Recently I have bought a new SSD drive and I decided not to clone the old drive, but to install a new system (Windows 10). Everything is fine, except that when I try to use Windows Search for old files that are on my other two drives they don't appear (also they are not listed in Applications & Functions). Every new program that I install is then appearing in Search just fine, so only old files that were installed when I had old system are not appearing.

I've first tried rebuilding Indexing - after 2 days it finally found and indexed about 2mln elements, but today again there are only ~150k indexed files and still searching for new (idk if that is how it's supposed to work). I now am able to search for folders that didn't appear before, but still not for applications.

Then I tried Searching and Indexing Troubleshooting, which gave me an error: "incorrect permissions on windows search directories", so I tried changing ownership and giving permissions to C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Search/Data, but error still appears and permissions are restored to default after few minutes anyway.

I then tried to give permissions for all folders on both drives, but that didn't help.

I found some guide on the Internet with the following commands

in PowerShell:

• reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TileDataModel\Migration\TileStore" /va /f
    • get-appxpackage -packageType bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}
    • $bundlefamilies = (get-appxpackage -packagetype Bundle).packagefamilyname
    • get-appxpackage -packagetype main |? {-not ($bundlefamilies -contains $_.packagefamilyname)} |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmanifest.xml")}

That didn't do anything either, I don't know what to do now. I hope you guys could help me a little with this, because I don't want to reinstall all my apps again.

:)

KingZero121, Nov 5, 2018
  2. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Explorer search not showing files

Hello,

I suggest you to run the Search and indexing troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps provided below.

• Press Windows logo key + X Key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Double Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all option, on left hand side of the window.
    • Click on Search and indexing and follow the on screen instructions.

I also suggest you to install the latest Build and check if it helps:

Windows Blog -

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 6, 2018
  4. Old files not showing up in Windows Search

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

Old files not showing up in Windows Search

1. Old files not showing up in Windows Search - Similar Threads - Old files showing

2. Old Pictures not showing in File Explorer search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Pictures not showing in File Explorer search: So when i use the file explorer search function, sometimes it just doesnt show old pictures and im not sure why. It started doing this a few months ago but before that it worked fine. Any idea how to fix this?...
  3. Old Pictures not showing in File Explorer search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Pictures not showing in File Explorer search: So when i use the file explorer search function, sometimes it just doesnt show old pictures and im not sure why. It started doing this a few months ago but before that it worked fine. Any idea how to fix this?...
  4. Old files showing up in recent files list Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old files showing up in recent files list Windows 10.: Each time I boot up the computer, a number of files will be added to the recent files list. These are old files that I have not accessed recently in some cases not for months or years. All of the files added are word, excel or PDF documents. Please advise....
  5. Old files showing up in recent files list Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old files showing up in recent files list Windows 10.: Each time I boot up the computer, a number of files will be added to the recent files list. These are old files that I have not accessed recently in some cases not for months or years. All of the files added are word, excel or PDF documents. Please advise....
  6. Old files showing up in recent files list Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. OneDrive files not showing up in Windows File Explorer search.

in Cortana
    OneDrive files not showing up in Windows File Explorer search.: Help would be appreciated. OneDrive tech could not help. My onedrive files and folders are not showing up when I search for them in file explorer windows search in the bottom task bar. They used to, before I moved my onedrive files to D:, which has more space. My C: is a...
  8. Windows settings are not showing up on search

in Cortana
    Windows settings are not showing up on search: Hello, I just installed win10 today on my new SSD. But there is an issue I am facing on search. On my previous OS, when I search "Disk Management" it doesn't appear. Same for "Adjust ClearType text" and many things. Seeking for help....
  9. Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file

in Windows 10 Support
    Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file: I chose not to put this in the virtualization section because I don't think this problem is VirtualBox. I'm trying to run another os on VirtualBox so I download the iso image. All my downloads are found in the downloads folder and the iso I download is shown along with a...
  10. windows search shows old apps

in Windows 10 Support
    windows search shows old apps: I used a program to remove built in apps like groove music and edge yet they still show up in the search results. Nothing happens when I click on them but how can remove them from the search results? 81840