Windows 10: Old folder name still hanging around somewhere underneath the UI?

Discus and support Old folder name still hanging around somewhere underneath the UI? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a strange problem. In 2005 I created a folder called "Downloads" with the date appended to it. Later on, (I'm not sure when), I removed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by THX1138, Apr 17, 2019.

1. THX1138 Win User

Old folder name still hanging around somewhere underneath the UI?

I have a strange problem. In 2005 I created a folder called "Downloads" with the date appended to it. Later on, (I'm not sure when), I removed the date, renaming the folder to just "Downloads". I just tried to set this folder to be the default downloads location for Firefox and even though the file browser sees the file name correctly, when I click "Select folder", the old folder name shows up with the appended date. Where is this old name coming from? Firefox is now downloading to the "temp" folder on the C: drive because of course it can't find this "Downloads - 01-03-2005". I don't know how HDDs and filesystems work but it looks like something in there has not been updated when it should have been?

Old folder name still hanging around somewhere underneath the UI? [​IMG]

:)

THX1138, Apr 17, 2019

2. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Apr 17, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Old folder name still hanging around somewhere underneath the UI?

User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Old folder name still hanging around somewhere underneath the UI?

1. Old folder name still hanging around somewhere underneath the UI? - Similar Threads - Old folder name

2. I have renamed a folder in windows, but the old name is still there, and it causes problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have renamed a folder in windows, but the old name is still there, and it causes problems: I renamed an old 'desktop' folder to '8 Jun 2016-Nov 2018'. Here is the properties of the folder. You can see that the name is '8 Jun 2016-Nov 2018'But when you look at the sharing tab, it shows the old name 'Desktop':Also, when I copy and paste folders, Windows explorer goes...
  3. I have renamed a folder in windows, but the old name is still there, and it causes problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have renamed a folder in windows, but the old name is still there, and it causes problems: I renamed an old 'desktop' folder to '8 Jun 2016-Nov 2018'. Here is the properties of the folder. You can see that the name is '8 Jun 2016-Nov 2018'But when you look at the sharing tab, it shows the old name 'Desktop':Also, when I copy and paste folders, Windows explorer goes...
  4. Changed my Microsoft Account username, but the Local folder still has the old name, how can...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed my Microsoft Account username, but the Local folder still has the old name, how can...: as the title says https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-my-microsoft-account-username-but-the/b8019733-e881-4113-a198-953fa2533273
  5. UI Glitches all around the system

in Windows 10 Support
    UI Glitches all around the system: Hi everyone, i am here to ask you if anyone of you has had a similar issue to me. For some time now i have been having UI glitches all around my system. It happens in Windows itself and in apps like Sonos or Affinity Photo. When i hover over items of a ui (only when they are...
  6. Old Account Name folder keeps reappearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old Account Name folder keeps reappearing: So I recently changed the user account name in my PC but a folder with the same old account name keeps reappearing at C:\Users\ the new account name folder is there too. While everything with the new account name folder seems fine, the old account name folder gets...
  7. Folders name reverting to old name when being copied

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders name reverting to old name when being copied: My home PC is Windows 10 and all updates applied. The only change I've done is creating a new user profile for work to avoid having having work files and work VPN settings in my home/admin profile. For some reason, when I rename a folder and then copy or move it to a new...
  8. USERS FOLDER Shows old name of Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    USERS FOLDER Shows old name of Microsoft Account: I've checked everywhere, there was an old post relating to my problem but has been archived since 2012 ...I've tried everything it was suggested with no luck! I'm running win 10 Home with all recent updates, PC is running good no problem whatsoever other than old account that...
  9. When uninstalling / deleting folders occasionally a process will still be hanging that...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When uninstalling / deleting folders occasionally a process will still be hanging that...: Is there any way to track which process is using the file to permanently remove it? submitted by /u/Skullfurious [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/epwb8m/when_uninstalling_deleting_folders_occasionally_a/
  10. Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder "Search" not deleting old file names: For some reason my computer isn't deleting old file names. Example: I have a picture named "Bob 1.0". I then change the name to "Bob 2.0". I then move that picture from Folder 1A to Folder 2B. When I do a search for "Bob" I get three results: I get "Bob 1.0", "Bob 2.0" in...