Windows 10: Old game goes black screen and unresponsive, but ok when windowed.

Discus and support Old game goes black screen and unresponsive, but ok when windowed. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Yes, this is a known issue, but it seems to be different. I play this old game that's from 2003, but it's got a massive modding community still. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MartyTheGamer, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Old game goes black screen and unresponsive, but ok when windowed.

Yes, this is a known issue, but it seems to be different. I play this old game that's from 2003, but it's got a massive modding community still. It's called Street Legal Racing Redline. Anyhow, whenever I start it up in full screen, it freezes up on a black screen and becomes unresponsive. On top of that it doesn't let me turn it off with task manager, meaning that I need to restart my computer to turn it off. Although, if I change a setting and start the game in windowed mode, it plays completely fine.

I would play in windowed mode but I need it to be full screen, otherwise there's this thing that doesn't work properly. I tried compatability modes, but to no avail.

EDIT: I know people who are playing this game on Windows 10 and they are not experiencing this issue. It's something from my end.

:)

MartyTheGamer, Aug 7, 2015

2. Computer is unresponsive after sitting idle

My laptop screen goes black after sitting idle or when i close the lid. Sleep and hibernation are disabled but laptop becomes unresponsive.

hasanani96, Aug 7, 2015
  3. I cannot seem to run my mechwarriors 2 and 3 and 4 games on windows 10

Why can I not get these games to run they are old but how can I get them to run on windows 10. When I put them in once I click install the screen goes black or it doesn't show up at all.

GageHamilton, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Old game goes black screen and unresponsive, but ok when windowed.

Hello? Any fix found for this?

MartyTheGamer, Sep 12, 2015
  5. Dude Win User
    Look into windowed borderless, it may help

6. That won't do as I use an ENB for that game that doesn't work properly if it's any kind of windowed.

MartyTheGamer, Sep 12, 2015
  7. Older games that use DX9 typically don't work in Win10 when in full screen mode due to a bug MS introduced. Hopefully they will fix it soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Until then, the fix is to run the games windowed borderless a.k.a. windowed full screen. You'll have to choose between playing the game without the ENB, or playing with the ENB broken.

SylenThunder, Sep 18, 2015
  8. Old game goes black screen and unresponsive, but ok when windowed.

Okay, guess I'll have to wait... but weird thing is that as stated in the OP, I know people who use Windows 10 and have zero problems with this exact game...

MartyTheGamer, Sep 18, 2015
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I have to disagree. I play a lot of DX9 games full screen and they all work fine. Your mileage may vary though.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Old game goes black screen and unresponsive, but ok when windowed.

1. Old game goes black screen and unresponsive, but ok when windowed. - Similar Threads - Old game goes

2. Screen goes black and game crashes when playing heavy games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen goes black and game crashes when playing heavy games: I’ve been having this problem with my PC for a while and I’ve tried so many fixes but nothing is working. It’s a custom built PC I got last Christmas. It started with Minecraft, when I added shaders and used mods it just crashed one day and my whole screen went black, then I...
  3. Screen goes black when idle for a minute

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen goes black when idle for a minute: I recently changed a setting on my laptop so that when my mouse is idle for a minute my screen goes black, not to sleep as I it was so I could listen to music without a light. Now I need to turn it off as it keeps getting in the way but I cant remember how to turn it off....
  4. Monitor screen goes black while gaming.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor screen goes black while gaming.: Yesterday i built my first gaming pc, and it seems like i've done everything right but when I launch games I get consistent blackscreens, especially with FreeSync enabled. My specs are: Ryzen 5 2600 ASRock B450m Pro4 mobo 2x8GB G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 (16ms CAS latency)...
  5. Screen goes black when charging... Why ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen goes black when charging... Why ?: When I plug my charger in while using the laptop my screen goes black. It never did this before like WTH ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-goes-black-when-charging-why/360de468-a95c-4f27-ae45-2fbddd395ac8
  6. screen goes black and glitches my games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen goes black and glitches my games: so after a month of dealing with this problem i am puting up my own question problem: my screens go black and after 2 seconds my screens come back but my game's like Garry's Mod go completely white and i can still play but i cant see anything so i have to restart my game...
  7. screen goes black and glitches my games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen goes black and glitches my games: so after a month of dealing with this problem i am puting up my own question problem: my screens go black and after 2 seconds my screens come back but my game's like Garry's Mod go completely white and i can still play but i cant see anything so i have to restart my game...
  8. Black unresponsive screen when launching war thunder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black unresponsive screen when launching war thunder: I have played war thunder on my new PC since Christmas when I got it. It has worked fine, like everything else, until four days ago when instead of launching the game after pressing the "play" button in the launcher, a black screen appears after a slight but alarming delay....
  9. When launched, most games will go to black screen and be unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When launched, most games will go to black screen and be unresponsive: I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro today from Windows 8.1 Pro. My main issue with Win10 is that most of the games I play have trouble launching. I press play (in Steam), and the game will launch, but never fully load; it'll just go to a black screen, and in the task manager it says...
  10. Laptop screen black and unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop screen black and unresponsive: I downloaded windows 10 and all had been running smoothly, however, when I turned my laptop on this morning my background was black and about 20 new icons had appeared on the desktop all of which were just white and blank, i normally only have rhe recycle bin. i tried to run...