Windows 10: Old hard drive can't be opened, or not all files are shown

Discus and support Old hard drive can't be opened, or not all files are shown in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I took out the hard drive from my old netbook that stopped working, and put it in an adapter to connect to my computer via USB. The first time that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CdogXV, May 31, 2019.

1. CdogXV Win User

Old hard drive can't be opened, or not all files are shown

I took out the hard drive from my old netbook that stopped working, and put it in an adapter to connect to my computer via USB. The first time that I did it was at least over a year ago, and now, opening it is taking too long and now it froze up Explorer.

Old hard drive can't be opened, or not all files are shown 0f0c03ba-d776-4b45-9dad-d401d6cc3360?upload=true.png

The drive that's having that problem is F:\

:)

CdogXV, May 31, 2019

2. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, May 31, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 31, 2019
  4. Old hard drive can't be opened, or not all files are shown

Boot from old hard drive

The motherboard of my old computer died suddenly and so I bought a new computer. It has two 1TB HDDs on RAID 0 and comes preinstalled with Windows 10 Home. I wanted my computer to boot from my old 120GB SSD from my old computer but it doesn't seem to recognize it as boot drive. It was working perfectly with my old computer.

I can view files from the SSD and so this confirms that it is working. The boot partition is marked active.

I tried changing the boot hard drive in the bios but in the bios, the only two options shown in the boot menu are

• Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume1)
    • CD/DVDRW

After searching online, a website suggested swapping the Sata of the old hard drive with that of the new one. I tried even this but this didn't work either. It gave me the error "boot disk not found" and in the boot menu, the only option was "CD/DVDRW".

For Reference :<br>
    Motherboard : ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING<br>
    All Hard Drives Run GPT.

Any other solutions?

Don&#39;t Root here plz..., May 31, 2019
Thema:

Old hard drive can't be opened, or not all files are shown

1. Old hard drive can't be opened, or not all files are shown - Similar Threads - Old hard drive

2. One Drive Search not all files are shown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive Search not all files are shown: Hello,I am using one drive since years on windows 10, withing the last years mainly using mobile Android app.Files should be indexed for quick searching them,but this isn't working the whole time properly.I am not talking about new uploaded or moved files, for example I tried...
  3. One Drive Search not all files are shown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive Search not all files are shown: Hello,I am using one drive since years on windows 10, withing the last years mainly using mobile Android app.Files should be indexed for quick searching them,but this isn't working the whole time properly.I am not talking about new uploaded or moved files, for example I tried...
  4. One Drive Search not all files are shown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Open External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Open External Hard Drive: Hi! I have an external hard drive G-Drive mobile USB with files from an old mac. When I plug it in it shows up as an icon and in my devices and printers but I am unable to access the files on it. When I click on it all that opens up is a properties window. In this window...
  6. Can't Open Hard Drive

Can't Open Hard Drive: I can't open the seagate external hard drive. I have gone into disk management and it says disk 1 and then there is a section next to that which has EFI system.... and then a section next to that Primary partition.... then a section that says 128mb unallocated. It will not...
  7. FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN?

FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN?: IN WINDOWS 10, Why is it so hard to find out what files are folders are taking up too much space, without clicking on 'properties' to check? I am familiar with DOS, since the 1980's where every file showed the size, and it was easy to see. In Win10 I have learned to...
  8. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  9. External hard drive can't open

External hard drive can't open: External hard drive is listed in disc management as "raw". Is there a way to open or access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-cant-open/6ac9492f-b2ed-4301-916b-48d818c0af86
  10. File explorer shown two external hard drive

File explorer shown two external hard drive: Hi, i hope someone could help me in my problem, so i been encountering this issue for a long time and i dont know how to solve it i already reset my laptop because i thought that was the solution but its not, i dont even know how this happend whenever i plugged in a usd or an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to locate hard drive that cant be opened

2. old hard drive not showing all files