Windows 10: old hard drive is unresponsive; all recovery methods freeze my computer. What's going on?

Discus and support old hard drive is unresponsive; all recovery methods freeze my computer. What's going on? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I was trying to move data from an old SATA HDD when my computer crashed. Since then, the five main folders have all shown up as 0 bytes, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JayF0ur, May 28, 2020.

1. JayF0ur Win User

old hard drive is unresponsive; all recovery methods freeze my computer. What's going on?

Hello!

I was trying to move data from an old SATA HDD when my computer crashed. Since then, the five main folders have all shown up as 0 bytes, and file explorer stops responding when i go into the folders.

When i used both the 'scan' and 'scan and repair' options for the drive, both of them reach a certain point before also freezing completely as well. At that point i can't close the programs, even through task manager, and I've had to force shut down my computer each time.

My father suggested putting it in the fridge - which I accepted out of desperation and that seemed to actually work because my Pictures folder started responding again, but after trying to scan and repair it again i realised the app had frozen once again.
    I've even tried to use the third party tool 'Disk Drill' but even that crashes after a minute or so. Finally, i'm trying to use chkdsk in command prompt but so far, it also seems to have stuck at Stage 2 examining file name linkage for an unreasonably long time.

At this point i've already given up on my drive - but I've got many memories and also a personal project on there so it would be a miracle if I was able to get it functioning again. Does anybody have any ideas as to what has happened to it, and if it's possible to restore anything. Thanks!

Below is a picture of the command line, which hasn't changed for about twenty minutes now.

old hard drive is unresponsive; all recovery methods freeze my computer. What's going on? bb7cd4c0-3ff3-41bd-b101-47ba35e83a4a?upload=true.png

:)

JayF0ur, May 28, 2020
  2. little cat, May 28, 2020
  3. Msap14 Win User
    Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, May 28, 2020
  4. xarzu Win User

old hard drive is unresponsive; all recovery methods freeze my computer. What's going on?

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. old hard drive is unresponsive; all recovery methods freeze my computer. What's going on? - Similar Threads - old hard drive

2. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  3. Computer freezing/unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing/unresponsive: I have an HP Envy x360 laptop.I was running some memory-intensive programs when the screen froze at 3:13pm.The keyboard and touchscreen were unresponsive. Buttons on the laptop that should turn on lights when pressed ie the capslock and volume mute buton don't light up....
  4. Computer freezing/unresponsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezing/unresponsive: I have an HP Envy x360 laptop.I was running some memory-intensive programs when the screen froze at 3:13pm.The keyboard and touchscreen were unresponsive. Buttons on the laptop that should turn on lights when pressed ie the capslock and volume mute buton don't light up....
  5. Computer freezing/unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  7. My computer repeatedly freezes at bootup. What's going on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer repeatedly freezes at bootup. What's going on?: I have an HP TouchSmart 9100, intel Core 2 Duo, Windows 10 PC. I recently installed Minecraft, and since then it has been having startup problems. It runs fine, but for it to fully start, I need to use a System Restore point. What could be the source of the problem? Is it...
  8. What if my computer's hard drive crashed?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What if my computer's hard drive crashed?: I have recently upgraded my ASUS G73SW-XN2 laptop to windows 10 from windows 7. Having purchased a copy from the Microsoft website that led me to receive a physical USB with a CD key for windows 10 home 64bit. My question is: in the event that my hard drive was to crash, that...
  9. computer freeze, hard drive 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer freeze, hard drive 100%: okay, whatever this issue is its getting on my nerves. this never happened on any other os besides 10. everyday at random (while gaming), ill have these freeze/hangs that boosts my hard drive activity to 100% and makes the game freeze. itll sit here for a minute or more! and...
  10. computer freeze, hard drive 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer freeze, hard drive 100%: okay, whatever this issue is its getting on my nerves. this never happened on any other os besides 10. everyday at random (while gaming), ill have these freeze/hangs that boosts my hard drive activity to 100% and makes the game freeze. itll sit here for a minute or more! and...