Windows 10: Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

Discus and support Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently pulled an old Toshiba 2.5 harddrive out my a laptop whose battery had died. I was hoping to pull the data off it onto my new laptop, but my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GentlemanGamer0, May 23, 2022.

1. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

I recently pulled an old Toshiba 2.5 harddrive out my a laptop whose battery had died. I was hoping to pull the data off it onto my new laptop, but my current machine simply won't recognise it. I have the drive connected via a SATA to USB cable, both USB plugs plugged in, so it has power can hear it whirring away. My previous laptop ran Win8, my current one Win10I did a bit of Googling and everything said to check Device Manager, but the drive is not showing there either. Is the drive stuffed or is there something else I can do?Thanks in advance.

:)

GentlemanGamer0, May 23, 2022
  2. John Vil Win User

Stop Recovery Loop on Old System Drive Hooked Up as USB

We appreciate your response. Before we can provide any troubleshooting steps, kindly provide us with the following information:

• Is your external hard drive connected to an enclosure?
    • What is the make and model of your SATA to USB adapter?
    • Have you tried plugging your external hard drive to a different computer to check if it is doing the same thing?
    • Have you tried connecting your external drive to a different USB port?

Thank you.

John Vil, May 23, 2022
  3. Hard Drive not Showing

Hi Lori,

Thank you for posting back.

• How are you connecting the Hard drive to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the hard drive to a different computer and check if it works?

It's possible that your USB drivers are corrupt. I suggest you to try the following steps and check.

• Press Windows Key +R and type
      devmgmt.msc
      to open Device manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
      at the left bottom.
    • Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, May 23, 2022
  4. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

SATA to USB not showing up anywhere

After much searching, I could not find an answer anywhere.

I have the hard drive from my old laptop connected to my new laptop with a USB 2.0 to SATA adapter. Everything is properly connected. The disk does not show up in disk management or device manager. I can't tell if the drive is spinning; all I can hear is
    a tiny, high pitched whine when I put my ear to it.

EDIT: There was no sign of a driver install or even detection of a USB device being connected. I've tried all 3 usb ports.

EDIT 2: I'm trying to recover my files from this drive. Formatting shouldn't be necessary, both old and new PC were running Windows 10.

JK-FlipFlop, May 23, 2022
Thema:

Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

1. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB - Similar Threads - Old Hard Drive

2. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB: I recently pulled an old Toshiba 2.5 harddrive out my a laptop whose battery had died. I was hoping to pull the data off it onto my new laptop, but my current machine simply won't recognise it. I have the drive connected via a SATA to USB cable, both USB plugs plugged in, so...
  3. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB: I recently pulled an old Toshiba 2.5 harddrive out my a laptop whose battery had died. I was hoping to pull the data off it onto my new laptop, but my current machine simply won't recognise it. I have the drive connected via a SATA to USB cable, both USB plugs plugged in, so...
  4. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  5. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows: I have a 500GB 2.5" form factor hard disk which I encrypted using bitlocker. It worked fine, I enter the password and it gets decrypted, however while encrypting the encryption did not completed and it stuck at 92% regardless the drive works fine whenever I plug it, the drive...
  6. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows: I have a 500GB 2.5" form factor hard disk which I encrypted using bitlocker. It worked fine, I enter the password and it gets decrypted, however while encrypting the encryption did not completed and it stuck at 92% regardless the drive works fine whenever I plug it, the drive...
  7. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Viewing Folders on old hard drives in Explorer via USB connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Viewing Folders on old hard drives in Explorer via USB connection: I've got a bunch of older hard drives, some SATA and some PATA that I've been trying to view the files on by connecting them with a Sabrent adapter and also a Vantec adapter. I've had spotty results with being able to view the disks in File Explorer. I can usually see the...
  9. SSD to SATA via USB not showing on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD to SATA via USB not showing on windows 10: Hello, I did solve the problem, and I am posting because I saw many forums with the same issue and nobody was telling the correct way to solve it. Background: The computer is a laptop, the original HD is inside the laptop and it is a 2.5", normal laptop SATA connector...
  10. Connecting An old hard drive via USB on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting An old hard drive via USB on Windows 10: Connecting An old hard drive via USB on Windows 10 the hard drive came out of the laptop that no longer functions I need to say the pictures and documents off of the but I can't seem to get Windows tend to see it it's easy to find under computer management but it says that it...