Windows 10: old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized

Discus and support old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to recover data from my old WD 500 GB HHD that had failed I replaced it with a 1 TB SSD. I have connected the HDD to multiple PCs and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by akiba1964, May 24, 2020.

1. akiba1964 Win User

old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized

I'm trying to recover data from my old WD 500 GB HHD that had failed I replaced it with a 1 TB SSD. I have connected the HDD to multiple PCs and multiple USB ports both front and back using a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter. Both of my PCs run windows 10. Neither one recognizes the USB connection to the SATA HHD when it is plugged in. I look in device manager, disk management, and a downloaded WD Data lifeguard Diagnostic tool for windows - nothing, not even the little USB connection sound prompt. The HHD hums when powered and the adapter has its own SATA to power converter cable so I don't think its a power issue.

Any advice on how I can get my PCs to recognize this USB connection to my old HHD?

:)

akiba1964, May 24, 2020
  2. GSquadron Win User

IDE with SATA wont recognize

Hi all!
    I tried today an old IDE i had 3 years ago
    The IDE itself works
    It turns out that the computer wont recognize the SATA drive 1TB i have
    Any suggestions?

Also, when i formatted with windows 7, it didn't install the updates
    For example, gpu, network drivers, mouse etc

And in device manager, it even writes it Hitachi 1TB

GSquadron, May 24, 2020
  3. Mooly Win User
    HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA.

At the moment this is a bit hypothetical. I have a 9.5yr old Acer laptop that has its original 120Gb drive fitted. The drive says on it 'Enhanced IDE'.

The Crucial website says that the original storage fitted has 'Serial ATA support' and suggests a standard SATA SSD as a replacement.

My question is whether you can just fit a modern SATA drive as a straight swap here. Not necessarily the Crucial one as I've seen some good offers on Samsung SSD's, and in any case I wouldn't want to spend much on such an old PC.

old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized [​IMG]

old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized [​IMG]

Mooly, May 24, 2020
  4. old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized

Darkrealms, May 24, 2020
Thema:

old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized

1. old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized - Similar Threads - old HHD connected

2. Laptop won't recognize IDE drive connected through USB adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop won't recognize IDE drive connected through USB adapter: I'm trying to recover pictures and files from an old PC drive. Maxtor model number 4D080H4 Maxtor D540X-4D 5400 RPM 80GB Ultra ATA / 100 Bought a Unitek Y-3324 - USB 3.0 to IDE+SATA Adapter to connect it to my laptop, but the D: and E: drives that show up on Explorer don't...
  3. USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update

USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update: I have a USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter that has worked for many years. Sadly Windows did a number of updates and I do not know which to remove to get my device working. It is important to note that I also have a number of external USB drives that work fine. However, the...
  4. Connected SATA with IDE Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connected SATA with IDE Settings: I have G4117L0D bios Zebronics ZEB G41 D3 motherboard in my PC I have connected 2 HDD, both have 6GB/s capability (SATA 3) BIOS has options of SATA type as IDE, AHCI, RAID. In IDE there are 2 options, Before PATA and Behind PATA. In AHCI there are again the same options...
  5. IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised

IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised: I have a SAMSUNG 40GB IDE HDD that I took out of an old case. I acquired an IDE to SATA adapter. The drive turns on; no strange noises, or anything. It looks pretty much band new, dispite it being 15 years old. It's not recognised by Windows, and it doesn't seem to show up in...
  6. IDE drive to SATA host

IDE drive to SATA host: I an trying to reuse old IDE drives and DVD writers in a system that only has SATA on board. I bought two kinds of adaptor board for it but none of them works. Here are the two boards: [img] [img] I've tried them on 2 PCs (B75 and Z97 chipset, both run Windows 10), 3 old...
  7. External HHD not recognized by Windows

External HHD not recognized by Windows: Hi, I've got WD MyPassport Ultra 1TB, and after reinstalling Windows, I have problem with it working on USB 3.0, it works fine on USB 2.0. Here I have to mention, that I installed drivers through DriverPack Solution Online. I've read a lot of threads in web, reinstalled...
  8. IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update

IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update: I have an R-Driver III USB 2.0 to SATA IDE Cable (Comes with an AC adapter) and a SODIAL USB 3.0 to SATA III Cable (USB power only). I have tried to format 2 IDE drives on the 2.0 cable and one drive on the 3.0 cable. Using the 2.0 cable I have incessant disconnecting and...
  9. HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA.

HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA.: At the moment this is a bit hypothetical. I have a 9.5yr old Acer laptop that has its original 120Gb drive fitted. The drive says on it 'Enhanced IDE'. The Crucial website says that the original storage fitted has 'Serial ATA support' and suggests a standard SATA SSD as a...
  10. Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge

Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge: Hi! I recently tried to use this device which worked on Windows 7 Professional before upgrading to 10. I found that the USB2 device fluctuated from appearing in Device Manager. Also the SATA drive appeared as named device, then Local drive or disappeared completely. I...