Windows 10: Old laptop and new desktop unable to see each other other in terms of shared drives over...

Discus and support Old laptop and new desktop unable to see each other other in terms of shared drives over... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; homegroups were so much easier but... I got a new desktop with a new installation of windows 10. That desktop and my laptop cannot see each other over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnY_3, Sep 14, 2019.

1. JohnY_3 Win User

Old laptop and new desktop unable to see each other other in terms of shared drives over...

homegroups were so much easier but...

I got a new desktop with a new installation of windows 10. That desktop and my laptop cannot see each other over the network. They can see every other network device they are supposed to see.

desktop does not see the laptop at all - desktop connects to the local network over fios router via ethernet

laptop can see the desktop as a media device only - laptop connects via wifi (I can test ethernet if needed)

Each device sees itself listed either as a computer (laptop) or unspecified (desktop)

Both devices have sharing enabled without password, with 128 bit encryption, both have all of the shared folders/drives shared with everyone with full permissions, have windows updated.

I am not sure what the issue is. As I said, I miss homegroups.

Any help is appreciated.

:)

JohnY_3, Sep 14, 2019

2. Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive

I have three computers, main desktop, backup old desktop, and laptop. I had a guy come and set up sharing so they'd see each other. However, the main desktop has stopped seeing the laptop. When I turn on the laptop and it connects to the network, it can
    see the other two computers no problem as connected network drives. The desktop can see the backup but not the laptop.

When I check the laptop's Document drive it is shared on the network. What do I need to reset on one or the other computer so that the desktop can again see the laptop's shared Documents folder

ithinktfiam, Sep 14, 2019
  3. Linking multiple laptops to a Share drive on a desktop via a Huawei Router.

I have created a Wifi LAN using a Huawei LAN. I have created a Share drive on a Desktop. I connected the Desktop to a Hauwei router. I managed to link two laptops to the Share drive by Mapping the Share drive.. I am unable to link the 3rd laptop (operating
    on windows 10) to the share drive. When I try to link, I am prompted with requests for User name and Password. I have set the Sharing Option to off, on user passwords. Please help me sort this.

Selvam J Ivasen, Sep 14, 2019
  4. Old laptop and new desktop unable to see each other other in terms of shared drives over...

Share desktop DVD Drive with Laptop

The DVD drive on my laptop died. I often play games like Monopoly on my laptop while watching TV, but they require the DVD in the drive (which doesn't work). Can I share the DVD drive on my desktop with the laptop. I'd put the Monopoly disk in the desktop,
    re-install from there to the laptop, then play on the laptop.

MadDoctor61, Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

Old laptop and new desktop unable to see each other other in terms of shared drives over...

1. Old laptop and new desktop unable to see each other other in terms of shared drives over... - Similar Threads - Old laptop desktop

2. Two laptops on network cannot see each other

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two laptops on network cannot see each other: I have this problem everytime there's a cumulative update. Two laptops on my network cannot see each other. Cannot transfer files from one to another. What does it take to fix this thing for good? Senior citizen on fixed income. Cannot go out and buy new laptops or Windows...
  3. my desktop icons are scrambled and over each other

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my desktop icons are scrambled and over each other: when I made some changes on the resolution the desktop icons got mad and they come over each other and not shown on the left as it was, and they aren't shown on the desktop properly....
  4. my desktop icons are scrambled and over each other

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my desktop icons are scrambled and over each other: when I made some changes on the resolution the desktop icons got mad and they come over each other and not shown on the left as it was, and they aren't shown on the desktop properly....
  5. Shared home computers see each other 'sometimes' yes, no?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared home computers see each other 'sometimes' yes, no?: 1 Win7 & 3 Win10 Pro 1909 I've shared everything imaginable on all the machines. Yesterday my P50 could see Connie's ThinkConnie and no more. This morning the P50 sees the T61. Rarely will the P50 see the previous + Connie's Dell. The reverse is true. If all machines were...
  6. PC and laptop cannot see each other on network.

PC and laptop cannot see each other on network.: I checked previous posts but they seem to be slightly different to my problem. I have a PC and laptop, both on W10. Laptop is on wifi. They cannot see each other. Both machines can see other devices on the LAN. Both machines can print to a network printer. When I open "Add...
  7. Unable to get computers to see each other in lan

Unable to get computers to see each other in lan: Hello I have 3 computers in the office each with different version of windows, the first and what I consider main have windows 10 home edition, the second one have windows 10 pro and the last one is using windows XP (because it is an old netbook that operate a cutter that...
  8. File sharing - unable to see other computers

File sharing - unable to see other computers: I have only two computers on my home network connected by a switch/router. It used to work fine when it comes to sharing and transferring files. They can usually see each other after turning on sharing for any individual folders or files, though, sometime, it does take a few...
  9. Another Laptop and Desktop not seeing each other, tried the other post

Another Laptop and Desktop not seeing each other, tried the other post: I'm trying to set up a very basic home network to share a wired printer on desktop with laptop and a few other public files. No matter what I do, laptop and desktop aren't seeing each other. Desktop is Win 10 Pro, Laptop is Win 10 Home. I can ping the other from both, both...
  10. Desktop and laptop can't see each other over Ethernet

Desktop and laptop can't see each other over Ethernet: I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10 on my laptop (desktop was already on Win10). Before the upgrade, both PCs could see each other over my network, whether hardwired over Ethernet or over WiFi. After the upgrade, neither can see the other. Both have network discovery...