Windows 10: Old Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...

Discus and support Old Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help me out with this problem. I encased my old laptop hd because there were significant problems. I connected the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HEichenblatt, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Old Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me out with this problem.

I encased my old laptop hd because there were significant problems. I connected the now external hd to my new laptop and changed the permissions on all folders and subfolders to "Everyone". However, I cannot see many of the folders and subfolders, (Documents, for example) via explorer.

Using the command prompt, I made a text file of all folders on the drive, and I can see the missing folders there. However, when I try to view the folders via the command prompt using dir, many of the folders that are in the text file do not appear via command prompt. "Volume in drive E has no label." When I try to change the directory via cd to a folder I know should be there, "The system cannot find the path specified".

Do you have any suggestions on how to access the folders?

Thank you.

H

:)

HEichenblatt, Sep 3, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, Sep 3, 2019
  3. Anthony12 Win User
    What to do with old laptop

Yeah this is good suggestions here with your old laptop but i just want to say you that you should replace your old laptop with any new laptop by exchanging the old one and i think this is the best opinion for you ....

Give us a call

Anthony12, Sep 3, 2019
  4. ElleTea Win User

Old Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...

External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop.

I have worked with Dell's IT support on this issue each time to resolve the issue but I would like to figure out how to stop this from happening and/or resolve it on my own when it does happen. Dell IT support eventually fixed the problem after trying many
    solutions and it was too convoluted for me to follow, so I cannot recreate what was successfully done to actually solve the issue. And I don't understand why it is reoccurring. I had zero problems with this external monitor with my old laptop.

Here's a summary:

- laptop always makes the chime sound when the cable to the external monitor is connected and disconnected; "no input" flashes on the screen of the external monitor

- sometimes I can get the external monitor to connect again if I hibernate my laptop and then wake it up; sometimes I need to shut my laptop down completely and restart to get the monitor to connect again; putting the laptop to sleep and then waking it up
    never resolves the problem

- I turned sleep off entirely because usually if my laptop went to sleep then the external monitor would no longer connect upon waking

- I turned off the laptop screen time out (i.e. laptop goes to screen saver or just turns off) because the external monitor would no longer connect afterwards

- In Settings, Display, I have tried the "Detect" button to try to connect to my external display; it doesn't work and I don't think it has ever worked

- I updated BIOS a few times and it did not help; I eventually had to roll back to a BIOS that was four versions older in order for the monitor to connect again

- I updated video card drivers (and a few others that I don't remember because it was months ago), and this did not seem to help

- My setup has been working for the last three or four months until yesterday and now I can't get the monitor to connect no matter what; the only update/change I could see that happened was an update of the "Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus",
    but perhaps there were other updates that happened that I don't know how to check for

- I've had three blue screen failures in the two months, and I think one or two others in the last year; stop code: unexpected store exception

I hope I've given enough detail here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.17134

Dell XPS 13 9360

BIOS Dell Inc. 2.9.0, 7/9/2018

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

driver version 23.20.16.4973 (installed in April)

***Moved from Windows 10/Performance & system failures***

ElleTea, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

Old Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...

1. Old Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new... - Similar Threads - Old Laptop stopped

2. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?: Hey there, this is my first time writing/asking here, so any response would be appreciated :So I have an old laptop of mine, an Asus A42J with 4GB of ram and 150GB of HDD. My plan is upgrading the HDD to an SSD, but I don't really want to backup anything from my HDD because...
  3. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?: Hey there, this is my first time writing/asking here, so any response would be appreciated :So I have an old laptop of mine, an Asus A42J with 4GB of ram and 150GB of HDD. My plan is upgrading the HDD to an SSD, but I don't really want to backup anything from my HDD because...
  4. Old and new laptop connected

Old and new laptop connected: I recently got a new laptop, so I was going to give my old one to my brother, but for some reason they seem to be connected. Whatever I do on one the same thing happens on the other. I have tried to turn of sync settings for both, sharing for both, and I even took the old...
  5. Transfer old laptop to new

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer old laptop to new: Can someone please let me know how to transfer as much as possible from my old Windows 10 laptop to a new one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-old-laptop-to-new/5fc63d8d-751c-446a-aad5-5f587e816202
  6. Hold Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hold Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...: Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help me out with this problem. I encased my old laptop hd because there were significant problems. I connected the now external hd to my new laptop and changed the permissions on all folders and subfolders to "Everyone". However, I cannot...
  7. External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop: For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop. I have worked with Dell's IT support on this...
  8. External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop: For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop. I have worked with Dell's IT support on this...
  9. External Optical Drive from Old Laptop Not Working

External Optical Drive from Old Laptop Not Working: I have a CD/DVD/Blu-ray player that I pulled from my old laptop so I could use it in my current laptop which does not have an optical drive. I purchased a SATA cable to connect it to my new laptop via USB, but most times I plug it in, it does not work. By this I mean, I got...
  10. Clone old laptop to new Laptop?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone old laptop to new Laptop?: Question: Could I with Data Migration clone my old laptop (win 10 installed & updated), and install it in a new laptop I am thinking of buying? As always your thoughts most appreciated. 54283