Windows 10: Old microsoft account being required after being deleted

Discus and support Old microsoft account being required after being deleted in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Question may be phrased weird, but for some windows features, my computer needs me to verify my account. However, when I go to verify/fix my account,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Logan Thomure, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Old microsoft account being required after being deleted

Question may be phrased weird, but for some windows features, my computer needs me to verify my account. However, when I go to verify/fix my account, I'm prompted to sign in with my old email address instead, which I no longer have access to. That email address has been replaced and removed from my current Microsoft account. I can't seem to figure out the password set for this and I do not have the option to "switch accounts" only "forgot password." When I hit "forgot password" it tells me that my old account is not a valid Microsoft account and to enter a new account, but it simply brings me back to signing in with my old account after I do this.

Attached are pictures of my step by step process.

Error Message

Old microsoft account being required after being deleted e9db9c89-f27a-4f96-85db-162b5ecb0b8e?upload=true.png

Step 1 I only have one email under my accounts, and it is the "log" one. This is my current account

Old microsoft account being required after being deleted c6d59ec6-7369-466b-a113-b38664745cb4?upload=true.png

Step 2 I go to fix my account

Old microsoft account being required after being deleted 834e49ed-8dfb-4212-9bb3-23510ed975e3?upload=true.png

Step 3 I'm prompted to sign in under my old account

Old microsoft account being required after being deleted c1402e56-4289-4e95-b8ed-2e263749b2ca?upload=true.png

Step 4 I hit "forgot password" since I don't know it, but then I get this message. I then type in my current account here

Old microsoft account being required after being deleted 01dddd98-4a3c-44eb-99c2-a72b54358d42?upload=true.png

Step 5 I reset my password, which DOES reset my "log" password, not my "1log" password

Old microsoft account being required after being deleted 4717efae-11b0-494f-bd65-70cc93f834f3?upload=true.png

Step 6 And we're back here again Old microsoft account being required after being deleted 8af8eab0-d486-46be-aeb5-9d151b87f179?upload=true.png

:)

Logan Thomure, Jun 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 Old Microsoft account issue.

Tom,

Thank you for your reply, appreciate the time taken by you in keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

Since the issue is still facing, you may try the below steps and check.

Step 1: Change your old account type from Microsoft account to Local account and then delete this old account by logging into some administrator account.

To switch to a Local Account follow these steps:

• Login to your old account.
    • Press “Windows key +X”.
    • Go to Settings
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.
    • Select “Switch to a local account” option.
    • Enter the required details.
    Step 2: Login to some other account which has administrator privilege and delete the old account.

• Click on Start and select
      Settings
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now select Family & other users.
    • Here you find your old account, just select and click on
      Remove.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Deleting microsoft account

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Are you trying to access emails using a Mail app or Office Outlook?

If you are using a Mail app, then I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Check for updates for apps from Windows Store and install if you find any.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/check-for-updates-for-apps-and-games-from-windows-store#

Restart the computer and check. Also, check for Windows updates.

Try to run the following commands and check if it helps.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.
    • Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.
    • Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    If you want to delete the account, then you need to create a new account/use existing Microsoft account and then give administrator permissions to it, then delete the old account.

Or other option is switching to a local account, then when switching a Microsoft account, it will ask you for the account, then enter a different email address and password.

Follow the steps below.

Step 1

Refer the link below to create a new account and to switch to a local account.

Set up accounts:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Step 2

Follow the steps to change the account type of the new account to administrator by navigating to user accounts under control panel:

a. Press Window key + X and select Control Panel.

b. Click on User accounts.

c. Click on Manage another account.

d. Click on the new account that you have just created.

e. Click on Change account type settings.

f. Click on Change account type.

g. Click on Administrator.

h. Click on Change account type.

i. Restart the computer and log in through the new administrator account.

Step 3

To remove the account log into your old account and delete it.

• Press Window key + X and select Control Panel.
    • Click on User accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account and then select the user account that you want to delete.
    • Click on “delete the account”.
    • Depending on whether you want to “Keep the files” or “Delete the files” choose the appropriate option.
    • You can delete the other accounts similarly.
    Note: Once deleted, the user accounts cannot be recovered. Make sure you back up any data if required.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Old microsoft account being required after being deleted

Old user account with Microsoft account reappeared on the computer

Hi Graham,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

It is very unusual that the old profile has reappeared on the computer.

Ideally, the old profile will only reappear if System Restore has been performed on the computer. We would like to if you are aware of any changes made to the computer.

As you have mentioned that your Microsoft account is linked to your old profile, I would suggest you to convert the Microsoft account to a local account by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the old account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on Accounts and select
      Your info
      from the left pane.
    4. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

After converting the account to a local account, if you wish to delete the account, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the newly created account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    3. Type control and click on
      OK
    4. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      View by.
    5. Now, click on User Accounts.
    6. Click on Manage another account and select the user account that you want to remove.
    7. Click on Delete the account and select
      Keep Files (if you want to keep the files of the user account) else select Delete
      to remove the account.

After deleting the old user account, to convert the new user account to a Microsoft account, go to
    Settings (Windows Logo key + I) >> Accounts >>
    Your info
    >> click on Sign in with a Microsoft account and follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope the information provided by me is helpful for you.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

Old microsoft account being required after being deleted

1. Old microsoft account being required after being deleted - Similar Threads - Old microsoft account

2. Upgrade requires login with old/deleted account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade requires login with old/deleted account: My laptop did a long automatic upgrade recently and when finished, a Microsoft login box appeared. The account that the login in requesting is an aol.com that I had almost 20 years ago and don't remember the password to.All options for "forget password" will only send access...
  3. Upgrade requires login with old/deleted account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade requires login with old/deleted account: My laptop did a long automatic upgrade recently and when finished, a Microsoft login box appeared. The account that the login in requesting is an aol.com that I had almost 20 years ago and don't remember the password to.All options for "forget password" will only send access...
  4. Upgrade requires login with old/deleted account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. microsoft account being hacked.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft account being hacked.: My emails and microsoft accounts has been hacked trough my internet wireless modem. Im trying to erased all my computers and fresh install windows. I have 3 computers that have the authentic microsoft windows product keys. what should i do....
  6. microsoft account being hacked.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    microsoft account being hacked.: My emails and microsoft accounts has been hacked trough my internet wireless modem. Im trying to erased all my computers and fresh install windows. I have 3 computers that have the authentic microsoft windows product keys. what should i do....
  7. microsoft account being hacked.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. File being deleted after Downloading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File being deleted after Downloading: Hi, the last few days I've been having some weird issues. I have a Bootstrapper exe file which downloads a set of specific files. Everything runs smoothly, but when the Bootstrapper finishes, another exe file which is the application gets deleted. Its only the exe file which...
  9. Passwords not being deleted.

in Browsers and Email
    Passwords not being deleted.: Since the Fall Creators Update my passwords are not being deleted when I delete Browsing History with all boxes ticked except Tracking Protection. I am using IE 11. Any thoughts please? Even the password for this forum was retained. 97362
  10. being asked the old local account password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    being asked the old local account password: I am being asked the old local account password, which I never set up, I, changed the windows password succesfully, but now I (W10) does not accept it Thanks All 18268