Windows 10: Old Microsoft Office Assistant for MS Word does not work in Windows 10

Discus and support Old Microsoft Office Assistant for MS Word does not work in Windows 10 in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; To whom may solve this problem, Since the most recent major Windows 10 update, nothing but trouble and annoyances at several levels. A galling... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by haku, Aug 10, 2017.

1. haku Win User

Old Microsoft Office Assistant for MS Word does not work in Windows 10

To whom may solve this problem,

Since the most recent major Windows 10 update, nothing but trouble and annoyances at several levels.

A galling one is the total disappearance of the well-know MS Office Assistant (whether or not using the animated figures like the paperclip, wizard, etc.).

I am still using an old version of Word (installed when I was still running on XP SP3) - simply because I am used to it and do not like the so-called bells and whistles coming with the newer Office.

Since Windows 7 (whose demise I very much regret because I found it far more stable and less prone to problems than Windows 10), the Office Assistant had been "deprecated" (to use Microsoft's quaint euphemism). But through Windows 7, 8 and 10 prior to that dreadful latest major update, which played havoc with many of my installed programs, there was a way around that particular "deprecation" by downloading and installing a hotfix, using MsAgent 2.0 among other things.

That is no longer the case. Even when downloading Microsoft's still available hotfix, there is no way to regain access to that useful assistant. When trying to install said hotfix installer, one gets an error message saying: "Installer encountered an error: 0x80096002". And no way to get around that error!

When trying to install an available MsAgent 2.0 exe, even by setting its compatibility to a former OS, one gets the error message that it is no longer compatible with Windows 10 (please note that prior to the mentioned recent major Win10 update, there was no problem whatsoever).

Be all that as it may, and whatever reason behind all these Microsoft shenanigans (this one being one of the less obnoxious ones), what else could I do to recuperate my cosy old Office Assistant? I don't use it for help as such, but mostly for grammatical explanations in English (this module was quite clever and helpful on that aspect).

So if someone can help me with a workable roundabout to get this fixed, I'll be most grateful. I have not much hope, because other Win 10 annoyances have not been resolved (like the near impossibility to avoid the dreadful Edge with pdf files, or Paint 3D with usual graphic files - whatever one may try to force Win 10 to behave otherwise). But one can always hope.

:)

2. mlg63 Win User

problems opening old documents on new computer

That is a very old Works Word Processor document not a Word doc. MS Office's Word does not come with Windows 10 and the converter utility is no longer available. As a workaround you can print it out on your old computer and scan it as a jpg file and keep
    the scan on the new computer. You will only be able to read the scanned file not edit it.

mlg63, Aug 10, 2017
  3. Windows 10, Internet Explorer 11, No Spell Check box

Any solution provided yet?

Windows 10 IE 11 spell check does not work.

Anywhere else works as Chrome, Mozilla, MS Office application such Word,skype4b.

Kindly assist.

Regards

Decio

Deciopereira, Aug 10, 2017
Thema:

Old Microsoft Office Assistant for MS Word does not work in Windows 10

1. Old Microsoft Office Assistant for MS Word does not work in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Old Microsoft Office

2. microsoft office word

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft office word: After resetting my pc Microsoft office word got accidentally deleted. So now how to restore it. Please help me as I have lot of work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-office-word/3f1cd679-f742-4b0a-abed-aeeafc5732e9
  3. Error 0xe0000142 MS Office "Word"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error 0xe0000142 MS Office "Word": A couple days after installing Win 10 Version 2004 on 6-1-20, and when I went to open up a Word PDF document, there was a box that came up on my screen that some updating was being done and wait. Then a another box came up unable to open document with error 0xe0000142....
  4. Office 2013 not working with MS Word

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2013 not working with MS Word: I purchased Office 2013 from Amazon in 2015 It has worked fine on my desktop and notebook computers until recently. Now I get the message that it can't open Normal.dotm and a few other error messages that makes it impossible to open MS Word documents. After trying to fix the...
  5. Office 2013 not working with MS Word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 2013 not working with MS Word: I purchased Office 2013 from Amazon in 2015 It has worked fine on my desktop and notebook computers until recently. Now I get the message that it can't open Normal.dotm and a few other error messages that makes it impossible to open MS Word documents. After trying to fix the...
  6. MS office not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS office not working: I got message on line to update windows and accordingly I updated the windows yesterday. Unfortunately my MS office is not working today. Kindly help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-not-working/6d99b0d4-1e3a-487e-b2c2-f49ed22974af
  7. Scrolling is not working on my (old) MS Office Keyboard 1.0a in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scrolling is not working on my (old) MS Office Keyboard 1.0a in Windows 10: Can anyone tell me how I can get the scroll working on the above keyboard. It seems that all other buttons work except the scroll wheel on the left side of the keyboard. I am running Windows 10. Windows 10 has installed a driver called "Microsoft Office" for the keyboard...
  8. ms word not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ms word not working: unable to edit documents https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-word-not-working/b439f02a-6add-4671-9af2-6f8d20909da7"
  9. Office/Word not working

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office/Word not working: When I originally upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 the Microsoft Office/Word I had with Windows 7 continued to work with Windows 10. But then I did a clean install of Windows 10, after which I added the Microsoft Office which I had stored on a thumb drive. When I added...
  10. Microsoft pushes ahead with 'Office Now' work assistant

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft pushes ahead with 'Office Now' work assistant: Microsoft officials have demonstrated that Cortana is going to get smarter about work in the not-so-distant future. But exactly how Cortana will be able to help users with tasks like finding files in OneDrive for Business has been a bit murky. On May 22, more tidbits about...