Windows 10: Old Motherboard and Windows Activation

Discus and support Old Motherboard and Windows Activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Code 0xC004F211 - Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed. I have had some trouble with motherboard over the last couple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DV_RSA, Sep 29, 2019.

1. DV_RSA Win User

Old Motherboard and Windows Activation

Code 0xC004F211 - Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed.

I have had some trouble with motherboard over the last couple of months, switching between a gigabyte and msi. Both these mobos decided to die and I got gifted another msi mobo from a friend and this one works fine, but Windows does not want to activate.

My version of windows 10 was an upgrade from windows 7. I still have the original win 7 pro 64bit key.

I have tried activation, troubleshoot wizard, link/relinking my Microsoft account, add and remove devices from my Microsoft account.

My Microsoft account was/is linked to the Win 10 Pro licences.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

DV_RSA, Sep 29, 2019

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Sep 29, 2019
  3. mshimala Win User
    Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Old Motherboard and Windows Activation

Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

Old Motherboard and Windows Activation

1. Old Motherboard and Windows Activation - Similar Threads - Old Motherboard Activation

2. New Motherboard, old User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard, old User: My old Motherboard broke, i recently got a new one and added another boot up drive, turning my original one into storage, i wanted to keep my original User as it contains my passwords and my Windows 10 License, but i don;t know how.Is there a way to regain my original User??...
  3. New Motherboard, old User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Motherboard, old User: My old Motherboard broke, i recently got a new one and added another boot up drive, turning my original one into storage, i wanted to keep my original User as it contains my passwords and my Windows 10 License, but i don;t know how.Is there a way to regain my original User??...
  4. Windows activation on a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation on a new motherboard: Looking to upgrade my motherboard, I'm aware my license says it's OEM and from what I've researched people have said that means non-transferrable. However, in my activation settings it says it's "a digital license linked to your Microsoft account," and this...
  5. New motherboard not activating windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New motherboard not activating windows: So i got a new motherboard and cpu and now windows is asking to be activated, i bought windows 8 back in 2014 off amazon and then did the free upgrade to windows 10. Is there a way to get it activated or figure out my key? When i do the activation troubleshooter and it gives...
  6. Window activation on new motherboard

Window activation on new motherboard: New build and installed windows 10 but didn't activate. Motherboard was acting strange so exchanged for a different model after one day. Installed windows 10 again and tried to activate but getting message saying my product key was used on a different device and I can't...
  7. Windows Activation On A New Motherboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Activation On A New Motherboard: I just installed a new motherboard but for some reason it is saying I cant activate windows with it. Every time I try to trouble shoot the issue it tells me the servers arnt working. Help!...
  8. Motherboard Upgrade Windows Activation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Motherboard Upgrade Windows Activation: Im upgrading the motherboard for my computer very soon, and I am worried I may loose my windows activation. I have windows activated but no longer have the key. Is there anyway I can safe gaurd against loosing the activation?...
  9. Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD

Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD: HI there, Recently I upgraded my PC with new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM. I plugged back my old SSD to the new motherboard. However, when I logged into the Windows (it is win10 pro, offer from win7 free upgrade). The activation of windows became invalid and keep...
  10. How to active my Windows 10 pro 64bit from old motherboard.?

How to active my Windows 10 pro 64bit from old motherboard.?: Hi Roomies, I have been trying the last 2 days to get the internet working on my new used motherboard and because I wanted to have it done asap. I took it back to the shop that did the work and they couldn't fix the problem, so they installed a cleaned version of win 10...