Windows 10: Old / New problem with 'Start'

Discus and support Old / New problem with 'Start' in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, As you know, and sent several answers, I cannot unpin a tile from 'Start', I also spent some hours searching the net with no results. So I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Motim, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Old / New problem with 'Start'

Hello,
    As you know, and sent several answers, I cannot unpin a tile from 'Start', I also spent some hours searching the net with no results.
    So I'm thinking...
    My recent Macrium backup is 11 Feb 2017 and I have to update the backup, if I backup now, the problem will remain in the backup, if I first make a restore from the recent backup, I'll be almost a week backward, and the problem may or may not be repaired.
    I will kindly ask your opinion about this 'thinking'.
    At this time, I resized the tile and draged it downward so I do not see it.
    Thanks

:)

Motim, Feb 19, 2017

2. problem with a change old and new phone

Click "Remove this phone" and register again with your new Lumia.

Yu-Hao Feng, Feb 19, 2017
  3. vjvikram Win User
    problem with a change old and new phone

i brought a new phone nokia lum 800 within a week i had problem they changed to a new phone of same type when i go to myphone website and try to find my phone or ring it doesnt work what should I do

vjvikram, Feb 19, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

Do a full backup as it sits now, then restore the old backup and see if the problem is resolved. If yes you can copy new data from the latest Macrium backup to bring it mostly up to date.

What have you done to try to fix the problem?

Run these command in a Elevated Command Prompt, sequentially:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

Try Tweaking.com Windows Repair All-In-One. This fixes many strange problems.

Create a new account, see if the problem exists or not.

Ztruker, Feb 20, 2017
  5. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thanks for the answer. When the problem was still there, I ran sfc scan, all was ok, then I restarted several time windows explorer, ran antivirus chk - ok. The Dism chk (dont know what it is) did not.
    Then yesterday made a whole new backup as recomended, made a restore from 1,5 weeks ago - problem gone.
    I only had to update antivirus, repair 3 shortcuts to the desktop, and by the way, macrium free has a new update.
    Now that system is ok (hopefully) I'll a new full backup and delete all the others.

This Dism chk - would like to have some explanation what it is, is it involving some online help ?
    Thanks again.

Motim, Feb 21, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Feb 21, 2017
  7. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thanks for the answer. First I opened the first link above, and it applyes to win 8, to tell the truth - I have not understood a word of this. I am satisfied the system works fine after I made the restore and some small repairs to some programs.
    If I get ok when I run sfc scan - its good enough for me
    After all this I made a new full backup.
    Windows update is turned off - once when update was on - could not select which updates to install, and when it started (once I posted on this forum the whole story) my machine crashed, display was black, no mouse nor keyboard, had to restore the system, since then - update off.
    What I have now is good for me, I only keep antivirus to be updated.
    And just by the way, when I received the computer with installed system, the first thing was to install Macrium free and made a full backup, it is still kept on a separate disk as well as the routine backups.
    Thanks again.

Motim, Feb 22, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

Just remember you sometimes have to run SFC 2-3 times to fix all problems. I always run all 2 commands sequentially from a batch file I call DISMandSFC.bat. I'll run it up to 3 times before I start getting concerned about corrupted files that can't be fixed.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Old / New problem with 'Start' - Similar Threads - Old problem 'Start'

2. Problem with new AOL vs Old AOL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with new AOL vs Old AOL: AOL automatically did an upgrade, and now I can not find my old list of names and/or comments? I have tried to find them but no luck. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. TX...
  3. New installed apps start menu problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New installed apps start menu problems: So apps newly installed from Internet like teams whatsapp and many others aren't showing up in Start they're no icons for these app so i can't open but they're listed in my app list as installed help please....
  4. problems with new and old computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    problems with new and old computer: so I recently got a new laptop and every thing I deleted on it deleted on my old one even know I wanted to keep it on my old computer. Its also same with downloads every thing I download on my new laptop ends up on my old one. How would I keep this from happening...
  5. new / old computer

in Windows 10 Support
    new / old computer: A friend found it on the shelf and gave it to me (ex hubby's) while it was bought used , it hadn't even been Activated . She couldn't find the adapter but that wasn't a problem, I have a couple of adapters that worked. (She's and Apple and penguin fan) It hadn't been...
  6. old pc to new

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    old pc to new: can systems imaging be used to transfer programs, files and settings from old pc to new https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-pc-to-new/8f3cf01f-b06b-4f88-90a7-2b2e6d7b9cd6
  7. Old Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Old Start menu: How to bring back the old start menu without any programs on Build 10041 ? Below one didn't work.. ​Right click on the Start Button and select "Run" Type "regedit" Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advance Create a new...
  8. old problem, maybe -- IE 11 not starting in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    old problem, maybe -- IE 11 not starting in Windows 10: My wife's PC (Win-10) developed aproblem after an update last year when Internet Explorer 11 stopped starting. She uses Chrome and paid little attention to it. IE 11 just does nothing when clicked. Reading all nonsense materials onthe Net about this problem nothing so far...
  9. Old / New problem with 'Start'

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Old / New problem with 'Start': Hello, After a day's search for a solution, I write to you for some help. Recently I have updated a portable program - it does not need installation, only unzip to a folder, send the executable file to the desktop for a shortcut, that's it. (Name of the program is...
  10. problem with start menu, search and new notifications

in Windows 10 Support
    problem with start menu, search and new notifications: I'm having a problem with the start menu, search and new notifications not responding to a click. I think it might be tied to the fact I am using a local logon only. I have created a new user that logs onto Microsoft that doesn't seem to have this problem. I saw this in the...