Windows 10: Old / New problem with 'Start'

Discus and support Old / New problem with 'Start' in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, After a day's search for a solution, I write to you for some help. Recently I have updated a portable program - it does not need installation,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Motim, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Old / New problem with 'Start'

Hello,
    After a day's search for a solution, I write to you for some help.
    Recently I have updated a portable program - it does not need installation, only unzip to a folder, send the executable file to the desktop for a shortcut, that's it.
    (Name of the program is "CDBurnerXP-4.5.7.6521", its in zip format)
    But I also want to remove the old tile from 'start', a right click has two options only :Unpin from start, or, resize, unpin does not work, click on the tile does not open the program.
    I tried twice to restart windows explorer and restart computer, but this tile is just there, useless and annoying.
    I even tried to unzip (for the test) the previous version of this program, tried to unpin the tile - no luck.
    PS. I looked where shortcuts are stored - since this program was not installed there is no shortcut there.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

:)

Motim, Feb 17, 2017

2. problem with a change old and new phone

Click "Remove this phone" and register again with your new Lumia.

Yu-Hao Feng, Feb 17, 2017
  3. vjvikram Win User
    problem with a change old and new phone

i brought a new phone nokia lum 800 within a week i had problem they changed to a new phone of same type when i go to myphone website and try to find my phone or ring it doesnt work what should I do

vjvikram, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Old / New problem with 'Start'

Just so that we're clear, Motim, Was the previous version of the program installed normally? Or was it portable like the new version?

Gurn Blanston, Feb 17, 2017
  5. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thanks for the answer. This program's version and the previous, both were portable versions.
    I just for my convenience sent the executable to the desktop (for shortcut) and to the 'Start'. Only cannot get rid of it from the "Start'.
    And since the program was never installed, it cannot be uninstalled from the control panel, and as well there is no shortcut in the windows system.
    I tried several times to restart windows explorer (as I read somwhere) with no results.
    I also ran sfc /scan - OK.
    Any other 'tricks' ?
    Some help needed.
    Thanks

Motim, Feb 18, 2017
  6. Something that you could try is right clicking on the Start orb, choose Properties and Start Menu. Then untick "Show recently used programs in Start Menu" if it is already set that way. That may work to get rid of your problem.

Gurn Blanston, Feb 18, 2017
  7. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Sorry, do not know what is "Start Orb" (where it is), I made a guess, right click on the most left end on the taskbar, there are no 'properties' item, just this (attached screenshot)
    or am I wrong, so please show me where.

Old / New problem with 'Start' [​IMG]
    Thanks

Motim, Feb 18, 2017
  8. Old / New problem with 'Start'

Sorry, I got my Windows versions mixed up.

You need to go to Settings>Personalization>Start, and set the parameters as follows:

Old / New problem with 'Start' [​IMG]

See if that will help.

Gurn Blanston, Feb 18, 2017
  9. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thank you for the answer.
    I checked the settings as you described above, they were and are the same as above.
    Thanks again

Motim, Feb 18, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    You could have a look and see if there is an old shortcut in either of these locations:

C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

Both are hidden so you'd need to tick the "hidden files" box on the "View" tab of File Explorer.

Thema:

Old / New problem with 'Start'

1. Old / New problem with 'Start' - Similar Threads - Old problem 'Start'

2. Problem with new AOL vs Old AOL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with new AOL vs Old AOL: AOL automatically did an upgrade, and now I can not find my old list of names and/or comments? I have tried to find them but no luck. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. TX...
  3. New installed apps start menu problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New installed apps start menu problems: So apps newly installed from Internet like teams whatsapp and many others aren't showing up in Start they're no icons for these app so i can't open but they're listed in my app list as installed help please....
  4. problems with new and old computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    problems with new and old computer: so I recently got a new laptop and every thing I deleted on it deleted on my old one even know I wanted to keep it on my old computer. Its also same with downloads every thing I download on my new laptop ends up on my old one. How would I keep this from happening...
  5. new / old computer

in Windows 10 Support
    new / old computer: A friend found it on the shelf and gave it to me (ex hubby's) while it was bought used , it hadn't even been Activated . She couldn't find the adapter but that wasn't a problem, I have a couple of adapters that worked. (She's and Apple and penguin fan) It hadn't been...
  6. old pc to new

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    old pc to new: can systems imaging be used to transfer programs, files and settings from old pc to new https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-pc-to-new/8f3cf01f-b06b-4f88-90a7-2b2e6d7b9cd6
  7. Old Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Old Start menu: How to bring back the old start menu without any programs on Build 10041 ? Below one didn't work.. ​Right click on the Start Button and select "Run" Type "regedit" Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advance Create a new...
  8. old problem, maybe -- IE 11 not starting in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    old problem, maybe -- IE 11 not starting in Windows 10: My wife's PC (Win-10) developed aproblem after an update last year when Internet Explorer 11 stopped starting. She uses Chrome and paid little attention to it. IE 11 just does nothing when clicked. Reading all nonsense materials onthe Net about this problem nothing so far...
  9. problem with start menu, search and new notifications

in Windows 10 Support
    problem with start menu, search and new notifications: I'm having a problem with the start menu, search and new notifications not responding to a click. I think it might be tied to the fact I am using a local logon only. I have created a new user that logs onto Microsoft that doesn't seem to have this problem. I saw this in the...
  10. Old / New problem with 'Start'

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Old / New problem with 'Start': Hello, As you know, and sent several answers, I cannot unpin a tile from 'Start', I also spent some hours searching the net with no results. So I'm thinking... My recent Macrium backup is 11 Feb 2017 and I have to update the backup, if I backup now, the problem will remain...