Windows 10: Old password not recognized after adding PIN; How can I recover the password, change it, or...

Discus and support Old password not recognized after adding PIN; How can I recover the password, change it, or... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Sometime at or after adding a PIN to sign-in to a user account on my local machine, Windows 10 ceased to recognize my old password as correct (perhaps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Russ Isaia, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Old password not recognized after adding PIN; How can I recover the password, change it, or...

Sometime at or after adding a PIN to sign-in to a user account on my local machine, Windows 10 ceased to recognize my old password as correct (perhaps I am not remembering the password correctly, but I doubt that). It does recognize and report the hint I created years ago but that is not helpful as I know the password. There are no security questions as the user account was imported from a Windows 7 installation.

So far, that is not a huge problem as the PIN can be used instead in most situations. Only a password will work when you attempt to change the password, however. Also, I suspect you cannot create a password recovery disk without the password (I am guessing here, however, as the link to that program also does not work). And there may be other cases when only a password will work that I have just not encountered yet.

I know I cannot recover the old password. But is there some way to convince Windows 10 that there is none stored for my user account and set a new password, using the PIN to verify my bona fides? Or another solution short of a full Windows reinstallation?

:)

Russ Isaia, Feb 5, 2019
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Change password to pin

Hi Ana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to log in to your desktop?

• Do you see any error code along with the error message?
    I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to set up a PIN on your Windows User Account:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click
      Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Add button.

• Type in the password for your User Account, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.

From now on you’ll be able to log in to your Windows account by entering your 4 digit PIN instead of your password.

You can change your PIN at any time by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Change button.

• Enter your Windows password, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a new 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Click the Finish button.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.
    Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Old password not recognized after adding PIN; How can I recover the password, change it, or...

Changing from password to pin

Hi Alison,

It's good to know that you want to use the PIN option to sign in to your computer. It's great as well that you've already set up a password, since setting up a password is one of the steps for you to be able to use the
    PIN option. Here's the steps on how to set up a PIN:

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Choose Sign-in options, then click Add under the PIN option.
    • Follow the prompt until you finish the setup.

Once done, you may lock your screen and try your PIN in
    Sign-in options

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

Old password not recognized after adding PIN; How can I recover the password, change it, or...

1. Old password not recognized after adding PIN; How can I recover the password, change it, or... - Similar Threads - Old password recognized

2. How can I recover my password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I recover my password?: I changed my laptop Pin but I accidentally removed it. I use a Huawei Matebook D15. I don't remember my password or the answer to any of the security questions. I don't want to reboot or factory reset my laptop because I have some important files in it. I have tried...
  3. How can I recover my password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I recover my password?: I changed my laptop Pin but I accidentally removed it. I use a Huawei Matebook D15. I don't remember my password or the answer to any of the security questions. I don't want to reboot or factory reset my laptop because I have some important files in it. I have tried...
  4. How can I recover my password..?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I recover my password..?: Actually I use msconfig and restart my pc. Now I input password but this password is wrong how can I fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-recover-my-password/b419d626-e91e-42f2-965e-ad80055bd425
  5. How can I recover my password..?

How can I recover my password..?: Actually I use msconfig and restart my pc. Now I input password but this password is wrong how can I fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-recover-my-password/b419d626-e91e-42f2-965e-ad80055bd425
  6. recover old passwords.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recover old passwords.: recover old passwords https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-old-passwords/9ff5a7e8-b725-44c2-b92f-39c20055bca8
  7. recover old passwords.

recover old passwords.: recover old passwords https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-old-passwords/9ff5a7e8-b725-44c2-b92f-39c20055bca8
  8. How can I change my password back to an old password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change my password back to an old password?: Microsoft forces you to change your password for absolutely no real reason, and it makes their products not worth using. It will not allow me to change my password back to one of the many that I could remember, thus again using their products becomes useless. Is there some...
  9. How can I change my password back to an old password?

How can I change my password back to an old password?: Microsoft forces you to change your password for absolutely no real reason, and it makes their products not worth using. It will not allow me to change my password back to one of the many that I could remember, thus again using their products becomes useless. Is there some...
  10. How can I change my password back to an old password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security