Windows 10: Old printer installation gives Status:Error

Discus and support Old printer installation gives Status:Error in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Would appreciate help with getting an old HP Photosmart 8450 printer working in W10 - if that's possible. It is connected by USB cable to my Win10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dogfonos, Mar 27, 2020.

1. dogfonos Win User

Old printer installation gives Status:Error

Would appreciate help with getting an old HP Photosmart 8450 printer working in W10 - if that's possible. It is connected by USB cable to my Win10 Pro 32 bit (Build 18363) desktop PC.

Beware: I may be using some incorrect terminology - I'm new to this...

I've spent a day looking into this topic and attempted many 'fixes' but still haven't been successful and I can't understand what's going on. 'Device manager' lists the HP printer (alongside my newer Brother printer that works fine) and 'Device manager>Properties' tells me it's working properly yet when I attempt to print a test page from 'HP Photosmart 8400 series', I get an error message ("Error printing on Hp..." etc). I can see the test page has been sent because it appears in the queue of documents ready to be printed. I've now deleted all documents in the queue.

A couple of days ago, I uninstalled the HP printer drivers then re-installed and it made no difference. I think these were generic Windows drivers. I did system restore today to take the system back a week or so but to no effect (didn't expect it to - just getting desperate really). The HP printer is rarely used, for photos only, so I don't think I've printed from it since "upgrading" to W10 from W7 (where it worked just fine) in January. I've tried to install the printer drivers from the original HP drivers disc but understandably, the drivers were incompatible with W10.

I've also done other things as well, including some online tutiorials which suggested a possible spooler problem so I cleared the printer spooling folder as suggested but that didn't help either. I've unplugged the USB cable, turned the printer on and off more times than I care to recall. One tutorial suggested the problem may have something to do with the printer port (currently DOT4_001) which I don't understand?

Any guidance gratefully received but bear in mind I won't understand jargon, thanks.

:)

dogfonos, Mar 27, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Step 1: Go to store.
    Step 2: Buy a less shitty printer.
    Step 3: Pick up some beer while you are there.
    Step 4: Enjoy both your new printer and your beer.

In all seriousness, I have had more issues with Lexmark printers and their shitty drivers then any other manufacturer, HP is a close second though.

However, if you don't want to get a new printer*Laugh :laugh:, and I can understand that, when my Lexmark was giving me the same troubles in Win7(and Vista) I had to make sure the Windows firewall was ON and the firewall service was enabled and running. After I shared it I could re-disable the firewall and firewall services.

newtekie1, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    printer status

Hi Dick,

You may modify the settings to change the printer status. To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article by clicking on this

link
    to change printer status from offline to online.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 27, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Not working... I see the printer, but when I go to add it, I get this messge: "Windows could not connect to the printer (error 0x0000000d)."

I installed the 32-bit drivers for it and printed something out from the pc the printer is connected to, and I went to the additional drivers page and added drivers for 64-bit, and when I went to add the printer on the other machine, it copied drivers over, but after that I got the error message listed above...

Thema:

1. Old printer installation gives Status:Error - Similar Threads - Old printer installation

2. Printer Error/ Collecting Printer Status

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer Error/ Collecting Printer Status: Hello! I have been trying to print PDF files from my Microsoft computer, which is running windows 10, to no avail. Whenever I try, I get a message saying that there was a printer error. Other times I get one saying "collecting printer status." I've tried printing through...
  3. Printer giving me an error message

Printer giving me an error message: I have a Brother HL-L2390DW laser printer. It was working fine but after a Windows 10 Update, it is not printing anymore. Everything shows as printer working and connected but no printing. Please advise asap....
  4. printer status

printer status: windows 10 on laptop recognizes my printer, however, says "printer status is offline". USB laptop to printer and power laptop and printer turned on. How do I change status to online please....
  5. printer status

printer status: printer status denial unable to print https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-status/967a71f3-8528-4814-9906-4977b7cadcb7
  6. printer ink status

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    printer ink status: need to check printer ink status, how to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-ink-status/66971b32-5caf-4a81-a1a8-8e0e269e94ba
  7. printer status

printer status: My printer is in an idle status. How do I make it active? It prints a WIndows Printer Test Page! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-status/e6255a3b-c427-4eec-88ab-6062bd1fb16e
  8. printer status says error

printer status says error: printer status says error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-status-says-error/56fdbf11-cc3b-4ab1-98fc-65910caa67d3
  9. Install Old Printer Drivers

Install Old Printer Drivers: I have an old Canon MF3240 Multifunction Laser Printer. I have installed this printer on a Windows 10 Machine in the past. This is a USB connected installation. The most recent drivers for this printer were for Windows 8. The driver files are in a folder. There is no...
  10. Printer Status

Printer Status: How do I fix the following: Printer Status: Default, Attention Required This error message is from W10 Home system. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/printer-status/7b6aa3aa-dfa5-4d3b-a799-cbdeb6327434