Windows 10: Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?

Discus and support Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, I have a VERY old legacy program that was written during the late 90's (not by me) and runs just fine on an old Pentium machine I have (running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KenHorse, May 16, 2020.

1. KenHorse Win User

Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?

So, I have a VERY old legacy program that was written during the late 90's (not by me) and runs just fine on an old Pentium machine I have (running Win98). This program basically plays wav files while it commands an external board via an RS232 port.

On a lark, I wondered if it would run under Win 10 (home edition, 64 bit) so I installed it on my Win10 machine, run it in Win98 compatibility mode and it kinda works. Except the serial com doesn't work (FTDI USB >serial converter). It plays the wav files just fine but it just doesn't seem to know about the comport (Device Manager reports it as Com3).

So... I also have an older WinXP machine (SP3) and did the same thing on that. Except this hardware has a genuine comport but the same problem - the program does seem to realize the port is there (Com1).

Am I simply SOL with this? I really hate having to keep the Win98 box around just for this one program!

:)

KenHorse, May 16, 2020

2. Just bought new computer with WIN 10. Old computer WIN 7. How can I migrate the data and programs from old to new?

* Original Title: migrate programs and data

Just bought new computer w/ WIN 10. Old computer WIN 7. How can I migrate the data and programs from old to new?

GeneRozewski, May 16, 2020
  3. need w-95/98 to run old cds, w-10

need 95/98 windows to rum old cds, have w-10

JamesRice2, May 16, 2020
  4. JS3278 Win User

Old program work on Win 10?

Hi all,

I have an old invoice form filling software that has been working for many years, the latest being Win 7. I had to upgrade to Win 10 and the program will not install. Is there anything I can do to make this program work on Win 10? If you need more info to
    answer, please ask.

Thanks,

Jim

JS3278, May 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10? - Similar Threads - Old program runs

2. Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware: Hi Folks I have updated my 12 yr old PC with a faster processor and an SSD in the hope of being able to get Win 10 to boot in minutes rather than hours. Now the machine is back on my desk I have happily booted it with the old HDD albeit pretty slowly. Win 10 asked for an...
  3. Why some old games run poorly in win 10 ?!!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why some old games run poorly in win 10 ?!!!!: I tried Crysis 3 in both win 10 and win 8.1 . In 8.1 the game run much better 170 FPS but in win 10 stock at 64 for some reason. View Poll submitted by /u/Medium_Web6083 [link] [comments]...
  4. Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?: So, I have a VERY old legacy program that was written during the late 90's (not by me) and runs just fine on an old Pentium machine I have (running Win98). This program basically plays wav files while it commands an external board via an RS232 port. On a lark, I wondered if...
  5. Old program work on Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old program work on Win 10?: Hi all, I have an old invoice form filling software that has been working for many years, the latest being Win 7. I had to upgrade to Win 10 and the program will not install. Is there anything I can do to make this program work on Win 10? If you need more info to answer,...
  6. transfer of contacts old old win 7 comp to new win 10 computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer of contacts old old win 7 comp to new win 10 computer: I have copied the .pst file from old computer that seems to be contacts or an old back up or something as is dated older than when all data moved to new comp, how do I get the latest file of all contacts, but in trying to import into new email setup (Microsoft 2010) it keeps...
  7. need w-95/98 to run old cds, w-10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    need w-95/98 to run old cds, w-10: need 95/98 windows to rum old cds, have w-10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-w-9598-to-run-old-cds-w-10/ba6cab63-424b-479f-8fec-a04b487d6dbd
  8. WIN 10 compatibility list of unlisted hardware - aka OLD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WIN 10 compatibility list of unlisted hardware - aka OLD.: MIRROR POST: WIN 10 compatibility list of unlisted hardware - aka OLD. Please SHARE YOUR CONFIGURATION. link your known list for compatible hardware here, I will update the thread as is grows with working parts successfully updated on a working WIN 10 HOME / PRO /TP also...
  9. Win 10 Workable on old hardware?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 Workable on old hardware?: I own a Toshiba NB100-10Y (netbook ) with following hardware: CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270@1.60GHz RAM: 798MHz 2GB RAM Is this: 1. enough to clean install Window 10 Home Edition 32-bit and 2. will it be workable? thanks for any anser, gabriël 43393
  10. Install Win 10 on new computer build and keep old computer running

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Win 10 on new computer build and keep old computer running: I am in the process of building a new PC. After updating the old existing Win 7 32 bit desktop to Win 10, can I do a clean Win 10 64 bit install on the new build and keep the old computer running while I install all the necessary programs and files? In previous versions, we...