Windows 10: Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10

Discus and support Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone: This is a big problem: Not only do I have a problem, but its hard to express technically what is going on without a lot of detail as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tenacious, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Tenacious Win User

Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10

Hi everyone:

This is a big problem:

Not only do I have a problem, but its hard to express technically what is going on without a lot of detail as I don't understand what technological jargon would cut through all the details here to provide a clear picture...

I hope its under the correct theme here...its not a custom build as I've done nothing but talk about doing that...its not a software problem exclusively as it has to do with how Windows 10 reacts to older programs vs how Windows 7 handled them...

So I posted in General Support

But here I go...

I ran (see my posts under XP VM USER in Windows Seven Forum) my laptop too long until it refused to boot up

as there was no other clear solution (other than reinstalling Windows 7---with many of the same problems as you will see below)

I was pretty well forced to take Windows 10---with the upcoming end date of 2020 for support for Windows 7--It was not worth the effort to just get Windows 7 back again...and never go upward to Windows 10...

But....

I have many free/student version/ trial version/ College loaned and installed versions (they have the product keys) etc etc. of many expensive programs I've use sporadically over the years.

I've often tried various tools to look inside the files created by the programs...

but all I get is "computer gibberish"

I need something that would let me install my old Windows XP as well as many of my fully paid for Windows 7 programs into Windows 10.

Microsoft (I called the HQ) before accepting Windows 10 as my only option to move forward in computer life...
    Microsoft said they have a "XP" compatibility mode on their choices when you place a program in the CD / DVD slot that it detects is older..

Sure...it does...but it refuses to install (Installer on XP does not work on Windows 10....it DID work on Windows 7 but I no longer have an operating Windows 7 drive.

New larger SSD Drive in older laptop---just has blank empty Windows 10

(Oh yes...Best Buy copied all of the "data" files over...

but their rules were that they could not clone the drive or copy over "programs")

So here I am writing to you today... for your experience and genius answers!

I have equipment that I use with the XP programs.

Example : Sony recorders that do not use standard MP3 files (which are too big for my smaller HDD back then) so their very space conserving .msv files cannot be read by anything other than the "Sony Voice Editor" which works under XP

which works under Windows 7 with XP Compatibility selected

Which refuses to install in Windows 10 no matter what [XP, Vista Windows 7 etc] button I hit
    I can do "things" I managed to rewrite parts of the open source program and got around the problems it was experiencing...

But of course...its installed but now refuses to run as by my cheats it can't find where Windows 10 stored the various parts of the program---if it installed it correctly at all in the Windows 10 environment.. (which is the constant phrase I see:

" This program/installation is not compatible with Windows 10"

No choices other than the stupid "[ OK ]" box...... nothing else to do but quit

I can buy new equipment

I can buy new programs (Sound Organizer by Sony works---but it refuses to open up anything but MP3 files, which the older program did not create at the time for simple reason:

a clear lack of money! to buy the larger and larger HDD's and backup HDD's to store all of the data in!

I also have photos...from old "non-smart " Sony phone (lots of Sony products other than these too) and the phone refuses to "pair" with the Bluetooth program of the Windows 10.

Best Buy technicians and their on phone technicians for days worked at this...

Everything goes as it should...password given and entered etc etc

It just does not work...

No signs that say its "incompatible"

no other ways around it.

So again...all my old photos are unavailable

All my new photos take with old phone are unavailable for uploading (and I'm running out of M2 chips to store them while I wait for a solution!)

I have other proprietary programs like Autodesk and ABBY fine reader OCR etc which saved in their own formats only readable using their older versions...

Ok....I have old old XP scanners and other devices...I know I have to replace those as the I/O and ports are totally wrong for the Windows 10 as its in laptop without these facilities and the XP computer is not going to function much longer.

I tried in Windows 7 (note my user name back in Windows Seven Forum: XP VM USER)

I tried the Windows 7 Virtual Machine....

When it refused to work properly.. I tried "Oracle Virtual Box" program....that did a lot of things perfectly and got many things to work "in" the box.

But zero... I mean zero output for anything!

No sounds

No printed pages

No downloads from the program inside the Virtual Box....its imprisoned inside there...

Ok.

Enough describing in non-technological terminology the problems--- time for some solutions!
    ---

Oh, before anyone responds:

I have a few items I know about or tried...and can cut down on some back and forth as I knew about these already from prior experience...

as no matter how I think about it...its like I will lose all access to the data even though I have the data...without working programs...they are useless...

1. Of course I could go to my local Computer places to ask them to do a "dual booting" Windows 7 and Windows 10 computer (either in one drive or two separate drives.

Ans: Several of the older places I used to do this for Windows 7 and XP no longer exist!

Ans "Best Buy" and some sole individuals with computer help places refuse to get involved in something like that... Best Buy would install a second HDD for me, but that is it... no OS no programs nothing to do with it..

I'm on my own

2. I could use programs like Partition Commander Or OS Commander remember those?

That I did use automatically to set up partitions and put different OS in it...

But they were all long ago made unworkable by features of Windows 7 and definitely running it inside of Windows 10 to create partitions for Windows 7 is impossible as again these are XP programs that will no longer install or open up if I did get them installed as not compatible with Windows 10 apps etc etc.

3. Get a HS kid who knows his stuff... but in today's world I know better---single male asking a kid to stay in house with me for hours and hours working with devices and old programs doing that... not a good idea... parents not happy so nixed that.

4. Get a whole new computer! Brilliant! Besides the cost involved....run up with same problem that no one will allow me to clone programs from old Windows 7 HDD as it won't open properly as I waited too long ---I have backup but they don't have the Macrium program and they won't load it in their computers as they don't know how Macrium backup works

So I'm stuck again!

Just clearing the way for some really outstanding ---out of the box ideas!

(Hmmm maybe if I developed my own computer that can do all this....and RAID too (I used to have it but lost it too along the way)----I can call my new computer "NEXT"!

(oh sorry---that name was already taken by Steve Jobs).

(ended on a joke there).

Thanks everyone for reading this far.

:)

Tenacious, Oct 31, 2018
  2. ZetBet Win User

Windows 7 compatible software?

This shortcut is absolutely useless for the system and security programs because they dig deeply in the operation system and if they not compatible with Windows 7, this system is running them only in virtual work regime. Then these programs actually don't work, you only can install and open them in Windows 7.

ZetBet, Oct 31, 2018
  3. cdawall Win User
    Windows 7 vs 10

Specific software compatibility. Not everyone wants to run a vm of 7 to utilize certain programs and not every computer will perform better with 10 vs 7.

I still run a Windows xp machine for data recovery at work, certain drives that won't mount inside of 7 and later will still mount in xp and can have the data pulled.

cdawall, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10

1. Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Old programs compatable

2. Program Compatibility from Vista to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program Compatibility from Vista to Windows 10: I have a CD program that is windows Vista compatible. How do I make it compatible with Windows 10 or 11.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-compatibility-from-vista-to-windows-10/1ac3f560-b4ad-4eef-adb4-592399fa47a7
  3. Program Compatibility from Vista to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program Compatibility from Vista to Windows 10: I have a CD program that is windows Vista compatible. How do I make it compatible with Windows 10 or 11.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-compatibility-from-vista-to-windows-10/1ac3f560-b4ad-4eef-adb4-592399fa47a7
  4. Program Compatibility from Vista to Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Compatibility Mode windows 10 to windows XP.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compatibility Mode windows 10 to windows XP.: I purchased a new computer for my small business as the old computer is windows xp pro? sp1. I have a program that I use on the old computer, and need it on my new computer. I transferred the program over via USB, but I get errors when trying to use it. Part of the program...
  6. run windows xp of windows 7 program in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    run windows xp of windows 7 program in windows 10: I need to run a dbase III program on windows 10 that I used to run on windows XP and windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-windows-xp-of-windows-7-program-in-windows-10/065ac656-4fd2-476a-a1fa-b1bd1afbe24e
  7. Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10

Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10: Hi everyone: This is a big problem: Not only do I have a problem, but its hard to express technically what is going on without a lot of detail as I don't understand what technological jargon would cut through all the details here to provide a clear picture... I hope its...
  8. Old Windows XP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Old Windows XP: Has anyone in the Microsoft Community experienced this yet. I made a new discovery today. In 2008 I created a Facebook page using Microsoft Windows XP. Over the course of 5 1/2 years, the News feed has been producing Spam, Malware and effecting everything up and including my...
  9. Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode

Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode: I have an old XP program, xReminder Pro, that I have been using for many years. I am currently running it in Compatibility Mode on Windows 7 and it runs fine. On my Windows 10 test machine, this program will install and run from a "manual" start in Compatibility Mode (Windows...
  10. Upgrade from windows 7... and all old programs ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from windows 7... and all old programs ?: Just a question... i upgrade my windows ultimate and select to mantain file, documents, settings etc.. Now when i start windows 10 all my documents are present but no programs before installed, all are under windows.old / program.... So with this "upgrade" i must reinstall...