Windows 10: Old question... SSD alignment. I'm puzzled what has happened here.

Discus and support Old question... SSD alignment. I'm puzzled what has happened here. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I clean installed 1903 onto an un-allocated SSD for a friend back in the summer and also created a Data partition and a Recovery partition on the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mooly, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Mooly Win User

Old question... SSD alignment. I'm puzzled what has happened here.

I clean installed 1903 onto an un-allocated SSD for a friend back in the summer and also created a Data partition and a Recovery partition on the same drive.

Today I installed 1909 and checked the SSD alignment because the performance had slowed drastically. The last partition starting offset was not divisible by 4096 although all other partitions were.

To try and get the speed back I again wiped the drive (so back to unallocated) and reinstalled again. The disk throughput speed is better by a factor of around 3.

The last partition now has the correct offset.

Now the plot thickens because I checked (just for curiosity) my own PC which I also set up in the same way quite some time ago. This one is running weekly insider builds.

I was surprised to find the same offset error on the last partition. This drive is a larger capacity than my friends and although the disc structure is similar, I use totally different partition sizes.

So what is going on? I'm not inclined to start altering anything as mine runs as fast as ever but I'd like to know why the final partition has such an error on both set ups.

These images are of my system:

Old question... SSD alignment. I'm puzzled what has happened here. [​IMG]

Old question... SSD alignment. I'm puzzled what has happened here. [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Dec 21, 2019

2. When I updated to windows 10 my old 101 puzzle and logic games are not working

Hello,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you installed these games on your Computer? Is it through CD/DVD or Windows Store?
    • When you say, "old 101 puzzle" are you referring to Microsoft Jigsaw puzzles?

As you have already tried different troubleshooting steps with no avail, I suggest you to contact the game manufacturer regarding this matter for assistance and check if this helps.

Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Dec 21, 2019
  3. bro67 Win User
    M.2 SSD no longer being recognized

Yep. It would disable the m.2 since some motherboards have the SATA bus tied to the m.2 port.

bro67, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Sisrace Win User

(GPT) SSD to SSD cloning & Confused about alignment etc..

I checked into CMD (diskpart) to see if the disk was misaligned, after writing list partitions it said "Partition 1, Primary, 221GB, Offset: 11GB
    I downloaded the MiniTool Partition Wizard. (the only one i found that didnt make my brain crumble) and when i chose align all partitions it told me that everything was perfectly aligned! (this disk is using the MBR system too). So should i trust it? I dont know?

Edit: Ah! The EZ GIG IV software does 4K alignment automatically *Biggrin

Sisrace, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Old question... SSD alignment. I'm puzzled what has happened here. - Similar Threads - Old question SSD

2. What has happened?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What has happened?: I've exhausted every step known to man. This is a fresh install of windows 10 and this is how it installed. It will not detect hardware and it will not accept the manufacturers drivers....
  3. What has happened?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What has happened?: I've exhausted every step known to man. This is a fresh install of windows 10 and this is how it installed. It will not detect hardware and it will not accept the manufacturers drivers....
  4. What has happened?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. What happened here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What happened here?: When I pressed Alt+F4 on the Desktop, it opened the Shutdown options prompt, as usual. I clicked "Hibernate" from the drop-down menu, then this came up-I don't know if something is wrong with my system, or it's just a typo. Please let me know....
  6. what happened to the completed puzzle in the background?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what happened to the completed puzzle in the background?: Whatever happened to the picture of the completed puzzle? what happened to hiding the upper bar? what happened to the completed puzzle in the background? can i get any of that back, or is it gone forever?...
  7. what has happened to the old driver support

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    what has happened to the old driver support: used to have Driver support on Desktop pc lost it tried to reload and it won't https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-has-happened-to-the-old-driver-support/7ebb80af-99c3-49b7-9189-0d407cdb626a
  8. What happened here?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happened here?: Can I have some help?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happened-here/8fa5ac3e-d817-453d-88dc-5b27bc7070c4"
  9. Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?: Long story cut short... I am having a play to try and resolve an issue with a specific program that I suspect could be graphics related. I got curious on refresh rates and found various on-line checkers that are supposed to show actual rates on your PC. Why does changing...
  10. 'tap here to decide what happens'

in Windows 10 Support
    'tap here to decide what happens': A couple of things I do not like about 8.1 are what happens when I plug in a removable drive: the 'tap here to decide what happens' message. For several reasons this is very poor. And the 'decide which app to open this file' dialog, which is a step back in usefulness....