Windows 10: Old SSD from previous laptop causing BSOD errors

Discus and support Old SSD from previous laptop causing BSOD errors in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So FYI, Both of the laptops I am discussing are the ROG Zephyrus G15. I had my old laptop just quit out on me but I had insurance on it so I got a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WarrenCrouch, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Old SSD from previous laptop causing BSOD errors

So FYI, Both of the laptops I am discussing are the ROG Zephyrus G15. I had my old laptop just quit out on me but I had insurance on it so I got a new one. I didn't want to re-download every game file I had on my old laptop so I just moved my old SSD drive into my D-drive slot in my new laptop. But for some reason I keep getting random BSODs. Also when I unplug or re-plug my power cable it will end up giving me a BSOD or my screen will go black and wont turn back on till I restart my laptop. Any idea of how I can fix it myself or what I can have fixed?

:)

WarrenCrouch, Jul 21, 2021
  2. ZacOng Win User

BSOD cause by ntkrnlmp.exe SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Hi Eric, actually this issue persists when I started to use this new laptop, therefore I had run a fresh windows , however this issue still persists. BSOD happens occasionally, and I found out that no BSOD occur if I turn off the fast startup feature.

For your information, I had installed an extra slot of 4 gigs RAM during the purchase of this laptop

Acer A515-51G-50AC

Intel -8250U CPU

4 (inboard) + 4 (slotted ram stick) RAM

Nvidia MX150 2GB DDR5 GPU

1TB HDD + 120 GB SSD

ZacOng, Jul 21, 2021
  3. Xlrtech Win User
    HP laptop - multiple BSODs

I have an HP Pavilion 15-cs0021na, (Intel i3, 8GB, 128GB SSD) running Windows 10 Home, which exhibits the following characteristics:

• On startup, occasionally completes boot, but within 5 minutes, BSODs. with a random error, e.g. Page Fault, IRQL not equal, Memory Management and so on.
    • Repeated attempts to reboot then fail with more random BSODs
    • Rarely, it will attempt a Startup Repair – which will invariably fail with another BSOD.
    • Wiping the hard disk and attempting to install a clean version of the OS (downloaded from Microsoft using Media Creation Tool to USB stick) will get a little way into the process, then fail with BSOD as above.

What I’ve done:

• Attempted clean install as above.
    • Run multiple hardware tests on Memory and SSD - HP’s built-in tests, Memtest86, Seagate disk tools. All tests pass with no errors.
    • Updated BIOS from Insyde F.04 to F.22 (HP supplied).
    • Repeated clean install, same result.

I have now run out of ideas, and am at a loss to understand what is causing these errors. How are BSODs generated if no Windows installation is present? Is it likely that a hardware component other than RAM or the SSD is causing these?

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated.

Xlrtech, Jul 21, 2021
  4. Msap14 Win User

Old SSD from previous laptop causing BSOD errors

BSOD Hardware Caused???

they do weird things like that, which all seem like something else is failing.
    One of the worst things to diagnose, they seem to only quit when they want to.

Memtest is a good next step, if you rule out RAM and Power Supply make sure you disconnect all unnecessary peripherals and try to start the system with as little hardware as possible, if it works then, you can narrow down the culprit by trial and error.

the follow was taken from some website:

It's very difficult to determine if a failure is caused by the CPU because many other components can cause the same symptom when they fail.

1. System fails to boot
    2. System re-boots intermittently
    3. General Protection Fault
    4. Illegal Operation
    5. Stop Error, or BSoD (Blue Screen OfDeath)

Actually, CPUs rarely fail, and about the only way to determine if the CPU is causing the failure is to swap it out with a known working CPU of the same type and speed. Since this is difficult, the best bet is to first rule out every other possibility.

Before suspecting the CPU, rule out all the possibilities listed below.

1. The Operating System
    2. A peripheral port device
    3. A bad memory module
    4. The hard disk drive
    5. The power supply
    6. The motherboard

If you have ruled out out all the other possibilities, investigate the items listed below.

1. Overheating
    2. A short circuit
    3. ESD

Msap14, Jul 21, 2021
Thema:

Old SSD from previous laptop causing BSOD errors

1. Old SSD from previous laptop causing BSOD errors - Similar Threads - Old SSD previous

2. Old Folder from Previous PC Showing Up on New Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Folder from Previous PC Showing Up on New Laptop: So, a few days ago, I noticed a new folder appeared in my Videos folder. The thing is, I recognize the name of the folder from my previous PC. It was empty, so I just deleted it.I assume that this happened either through my computer syncing with my Microsoft account or One...
  3. Old Folder from Previous PC Showing Up on New Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old Folder from Previous PC Showing Up on New Laptop: So, a few days ago, I noticed a new folder appeared in my Videos folder. The thing is, I recognize the name of the folder from my previous PC. It was empty, so I just deleted it.I assume that this happened either through my computer syncing with my Microsoft account or One...
  4. Old Folder from Previous PC Showing Up on New Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. boot from an old-laptop SSD and read out the files in WSL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boot from an old-laptop SSD and read out the files in WSL: Hi everyone,My laptop was broken but the SSD survived and I can read out all files in the SSD. However, I wish to obtain the codes inside the WSL, which I found out to be non-trivial. So my problem could be addressed in two ways. 1. If there is a way to open the WSL from the...
  6. Broken SSD causing BSOD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken SSD causing BSOD?: I‘ve had a Crucial BX500 SSD in my PC for almost two years and it recently started causing it to freeze and BSOD. WhoCrashed tells me that "ntoskrnl.exe" is causing it. The drive has no bad sectors, it triggers the BSOD when mounted inside via SATA and also while in a USB...
  7. New SSD causing multiple BSOD

New SSD causing multiple BSOD: I have an Acer Aspire TIMELINE X, i3. Recently bought a new SSD - Emtec X150 480 GB. After I install Windows and do all the updates, I get multiple blue screens of death, like: Unexpected store exception CRITICAL PROCESS DIED Kernel data inpage error Memory Management...
  8. 2nd SSD installation causing BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    2nd SSD installation causing BSOD: Hello, I have a new Dell Inspiron 15 7591 laptop. The laptop has room for two M.2 NVMe PCIe 3x4 drives, one of which has been filled by the SSD that came with the laptop, and an additional space for a 2.5" Sata hard drive therefore giving me 3 drives for storage. This...
  9. Added SSD to Old Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Added SSD to Old Laptop: I purchased an Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD and installed it in my old ASUS X53U laptop. Cloning the drive was very straightforward and it boots up nicely and seems to be working ok but I have a couple of questions. The BIOS reports LEGACY BIOS but UEFI is an option....
  10. SSD causes slow Windows, IDE controller causes BSOD

SSD causes slow Windows, IDE controller causes BSOD: Hey, I am currently running a Toshiba DT01ACA300 SATA 3TB HDD on my computer connected through a SATA 3G port, and the BIOS' SATA controller mode is set to AHCI. My friend gave me an SSD (120GB 6Gb/s Patriot Blast SATA3) because it had his Windows installation files that...