Windows 10: Old SSD to new computer

Discus and support Old SSD to new computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an old SSD that I would like to install and use on a new computer that already has one SSD and on HD. Windows is installed on the new computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SOTF KrameR, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Old SSD to new computer

I have an old SSD that I would like to install and use on a new computer that already has one SSD and on HD. Windows is installed on the new computer on the SSD. However, windows was also installed on the old SSD I would like to move to the new computer. When I hook up the old SSD windows will not start and goes to blue screen with options to recover, use different version of windows, etc. As soon as I disconnect it, windows boots right up again. How do I format the old one to get windows off of it to use it as storage?

:)

SOTF KrameR, Sep 4, 2020

2. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Sep 4, 2020
  3. Convert from HD to SSD and install to new computer

Hi Microsoft,

I have windows 10 pro and Microsoft office 365 installed at old computer.

I planed to convert The HD to SSD and than The SSD will install to new computer.

What must step/procedure be followed to successfully the installation at new computer?

Thank you.

AriefSulistyawan, Sep 4, 2020
  4. Old SSD to new computer

Adding an old SSD to new computer

When I got my new computer, I also got another SSD, so now that I am adding the old SSD in addition to my new one and HDD I am not sure what to do. Before I added my SSD from my old one, I reinstalled Windows 10 on it. I do not want to remove it since it
    cost me money, so I am keeping it as a backup, however when I open file explorer, I see 4 disks; Local Disk (COld SSD to new computer :), HDD (DOld SSD to new computer :), System Reserved (EOld SSD to new computer :), and Local Disk (EOld SSD to new computer :). The last two have only appeared after I have added the old SSD.

My problem is that I would like to use my old disk for games, yet want to keep another copy of Windows 10. Additionally I don't fully understand why the System Reserved disk shows up and would not like to see it, do you know what I can do?

GeryMolnar, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

Old SSD to new computer

1. Old SSD to new computer - Similar Threads - Old SSD computer

2. Activating new SSD with the old license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  3. Activating new SSD with the old license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  4. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable: I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot screen now shows 2 Windows 10 to boot into. The one that goes to the new Windows 10 OS started with no problem, but the one that...
  5. transfer old ssd info to new computer with pcie

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer old ssd info to new computer with pcie: i've searched here and found bits and pieces of what i'm trying to do but not sure if i've got it right. I have a five year old Dell Inspiron laptop whose casing is breaking. it boots from a crucial ssd running windows 10 home most recent version as of today. i would replace...
  6. installing old ssd with windows pro to new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    installing old ssd with windows pro to new computer: hey guys my pc cpu broke and I bought new motherboard + cpu my question is I don't want to reinstall everything if I did a clean windows install so if I use my old ssd and hdd will they work just fine or will I face problems? + I don't mind buying a new windows key but as...
  7. How do I connect a new SSD to computer to clone old SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I connect a new SSD to computer to clone old SSD?: I have a Dell Precision 5510 with a 512 GB SSD. I have ordered a new 1 TB SSD from Dell, on which I want to clone my 512 GB drive. I'm using EaseUS software for the cloning operation. I've contacted Dell and made sure I have the correct SSD on order. I have never done this...
  8. new / old computer

in Windows 10 Support
    new / old computer: A friend found it on the shelf and gave it to me (ex hubby's) while it was bought used , it hadn't even been Activated . She couldn't find the adapter but that wasn't a problem, I have a couple of adapters that worked. (She's and Apple and penguin fan) It hadn't been...
  9. New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

in Windows 10 Support
    New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary: Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on them, and each is bootable in the new PC. In the interest of conserving space on the SSD, I want to install programs on both...
  10. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609