Windows 10: Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10

Discus and support Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a windows 7 I've had for at least 8 years and when Win 10 came around, I took the free upgrade. But my old Pc finally died on me and I bought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by KarineMallet, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10

I have a windows 7 I've had for at least 8 years and when Win 10 came around, I took the free upgrade.

But my old Pc finally died on me and I bought myself a ryzen 5 2600 and everything in order to get back at it. But now I cant seem to reactivate windows 10. I really don't wanna have to buy a new license and I know that it is transferable from one pc to another for cases like this.

And I am signed in with the same account I used to on my old pc.

:)

KarineMallet, Nov 13, 2018
  2. GalenAA Win User

How do I transfer an ssd from old system to new using two licenses?

I have an old system (with Windows 10 Pro OEM) from which I'd like to harvest the primary ssd, and move it to a new system - I realize I have to buy a new license since the motherboard is different, so I got a new license for the new system. Both licenses
    are OEM, and both systems have been built by me (not HP, etc.). I would like to slap a new drive in the old system and give it to a family member. Note that I'll have all the drivers ready on the disk before the transfer, so no big technical issues that
    I can't solve on my own should occur. Also, both licenses are same editions/architecture (Win 10 Pro 64 oem).

Can I somehow decommission the license on the ssd on the old system, and reactivate on a new hard drive on the old system (basically a primary HDD replacement)? Following that, using the ssd drive just moved, can I change the product key and activate the
    new license I just bought on the new system (which would then be tied to the new motherboard)?

I know it's confusing - that's why I'm asking here before trying anything. Basically I'd like to keep a ton of applications and dev environment I have setup, without having to redo everything - which would be nigh impossible in Windows (A nice WSL setup,
    lots of system configuration, and a bunch of embedded programming libraries and so on) - at that point I'd just install a Linux distro instead.

Thanks!

GalenAA, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 13, 2018
  4. Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10

Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

If you want to move it from hard disk, system image or cloning would be your options:

Choose system image if the SSD is equal in size or larger than hard disk:

Choose cloning if its not:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clone-move-windows-10-data-larger-ssd-disk-drive/

OR

You can remove the hard disk, reinstall Windows 10 directly to SSD, reattach the hard drive and format it.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Andre Da Costa, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10

1. Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10 - Similar Threads - Old system died

2. Reactivate windows key on 10 year old system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivate windows key on 10 year old system: I have an old computer 2011 that originally ran win 8, I have upgraded it over the years through the Microsoft free win 10 upgrades. Never had a problem.Today I'm getting a message telling me that I need to activate my key and to reenter my win10 key number. I have reentered...
  3. Reactivate windows key on 10 year old system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivate windows key on 10 year old system: I have an old computer 2011 that originally ran win 8, I have upgraded it over the years through the Microsoft free win 10 upgrades. Never had a problem.Today I'm getting a message telling me that I need to activate my key and to reenter my win10 key number. I have reentered...
  4. Reactivate windows key on 10 year old system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Remove Old SSD System Reserved and Recovery Partitions to New SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove Old SSD System Reserved and Recovery Partitions to New SSD: Hello,I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 onto a new m.2 SSD and I noticed that my System Reserved and Recovery partitions were still present and active on my old boot SSD Disk 1. I wasn't able to delete them through Disk Management or through an elevated powershell,...
  6. Move windows from old SSD to new.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move windows from old SSD to new.: I have bought a new SSD and I want my windows located in it. I have 2 SSD's in my pc and I want to swap my small one for the new. The thing is I have windows in the small one and the other SSD cannot fit windows, so I don't know how to move windows to an SSD that is not...
  7. Reinstalling Windows 10 on old system [Moved]

Reinstalling Windows 10 on old system [Moved]: Hi everyone. While trying to fix my dual boot, dual OS machine (Windows 10, Opensuse Linux 15.2) I inadvertently have fouled up the Windows partitions (C: & D:) although overwriting them from a linux backup seemed to be a bit copy (I thought) but now the MBR is fouled up (I...
  8. Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD

Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD: Hi all My PC is a 2009 machine, 64 bit with a Phenom II 925 quad processor with a 1TB HD... so very old by PC standards. Instead of buying a new machine I was thinking I would buy a SSD and move the operating system to it as it seems to take an age to boot and use the...
  9. Move SSD with windows 10 from old to new desktop

Move SSD with windows 10 from old to new desktop: Hello, This past weekend I upgraded my 2013 Dell desktop from windows 7 to 10, after seeing the windows 7 warning messages. A few years before that I bought a Samsung 250GB SSD and used their software to transfer the image of the Dell HDD to the Samsung SSD. WIndows 10 is...
  10. Moving my current SSD to a new system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving my current SSD to a new system: Hello, I am looking to buy a brand new PC soon and I want to be able to use the SSD that I already have on my current system. The SSD that I already own has Windows 10 already installed on it. I do not mind having to freshly install Windows but I'm in the dark a little on how...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reactivate windows 10 existing motherboard broken ssd boot drive

2. how to reactivate windows 10 to ssd license no readable