Windows 10: Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys

Discus and support Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi folks If anybody was a member of the old TechNet system and have keys from those days -- W7 / W8 /W8.1 keys are still valid to be used for W10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Feb 5, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys

Hi folks

If anybody was a member of the old TechNet system and have keys from those days -- W7 / W8 /W8.1 keys are still valid to be used for W10 installs.

If you haven't got your keys or lost them you can still logon (use your Microsoft ID) and get your keys -- export as an XML file and then open with EXCEL to get a nice formatted list.

Same rules apply -- W7 PRO and up for example can be used to install W10 Pro etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2016
  2. AZubair Win User

W10 Activation Problem

Hi ..

I've purchased a Retail W8 from local store & then upgraded it to W10 almost a year ago ..

Now. I have a new PC (new motherboard & CPU) installed clean version of W10 ..

when I tried my old W8 key .. activation is failed ..

Error Ex004c003 .. saying I need to purchase a new key from store and they key is not valid !

I tried logging in using my Microsoft account but still I encounter the same error

Please help ..

AZubair, Feb 5, 2016
  3. How do I change a misapplied product key after upgrading to W10?

OK, thank you for the replies.

In the interest of adding constructive info to this forum:

1. Entegy- This is the process that ended with the "invalid" key. Again, the mother ship said the key was not valid, even though it had been in the machine for four years. I then called to try to get a human to help. Two humans reaffirmed the invalid
    status and the calls dropped before they could get anything done to resolve.

2. Now, for the rest of the story. Turns out (silly me) I had installed a new OS at some point and had forgotten this simple fact. That installation came with it's own key. That key had worded fine for four years. Why that key became invalid when I
    installed W10 is still a mystery.

3. Left to my own devices, I unhitched everything and pulled the box out from under the desk. I looked for the OEM label and found ANOTHER key. I entered this one, and the darn thing WORKED!

4. This still leaves the final mystery of why a key from another (eight year old) box also validated just fine in the four year old box.

Food for thought.

Peace

RalphArden, Feb 5, 2016
  4. Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys

Yep, all my Windows 10 Free upgrades were from my TechNet Windows 8.1 keys. Those were the keys in use at the time I did the free upgrade. At that time, you had to do the upgrade at least once to get your digital entitlement. Now you can clean install and just type in your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key. Bonus bonus.

alphanumeric, Feb 5, 2016
  5. doorules Win User
    I was not aware you could do this. Many thanks guys.

doorules, Feb 5, 2016
  6. You can still log into TechNet, and look at what keys you had requested in the past. You just can't request any new keys or download any software. My Windows 8/8.1 keys are listed as Retail keys. If Microsoft wants me to test out how the free upgrade works, I don't see why I can't do it with my TechNet keys. I'm evaluating the upgrade process to provide feedback. *Wink

alphanumeric, Feb 5, 2016
  7. doorules Win User
    All of my W7 keys are listed as retail as well. W7 pro and ultimate keys.

doorules, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys

1. Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys - Similar Threads - Old Technet keys

2. Bitlocker Keys Still Inaccessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Keys Still Inaccessible: Hi!When will the Bitlocker recovery key page become accessible again? As of January 2024, and seemingly since November of 2023, accessing the page returns a Trace ID and an error when signed in.Thanks....
  3. Upgrade from Old technet W8.1 TWO keys shown - OEM and Installed Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Old technet W8.1 TWO keys shown - OEM and Installed Key: Hi there I notice when looking at the key after installing the W10 upgrade from an old TechNet W8.1 system there are TWO keys OEM Key (which is the old TechNet key) and Installed key which is the W10 generic key. If you do a clean install don't enter any key again or...
  4. Old Technet ISOs - Keys becoming not valid ?????

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old Technet ISOs - Keys becoming not valid ?????: Hi there I tried re-installing Windows 8.1 Enterprise that I downloaded from TechNet during my subscription --it's the VL multiple activation one. The Keys don't activate it any more -- I've only activated it about 3 times and it IS a VL one with Multiple activations...
  5. Old unused Technet Keys You MUST activate product first before upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old unused Technet Keys You MUST activate product first before upgrade: Hi there (@Mods -- wrong Section - please move to Windows activation) If you have a load of old unused TechNet keys then doing a Clean install and entering any of these keys WON'T WORK. You need unfortunately to install the product (W7/W8/W8.1), activate (those...
  6. Free upgrade still working using old keys

Free upgrade still working using old keys: A few days after the 29th-July free upgrade date passed, a few people on this forum (myself included) were still reporting that new clean installs of Win10 could still be done using old Win7 keys. Not talking about re-installs, but new installs with old Win7 keys that had...
  7. Technet /Msdn Subscribers - Get keys into EXCEL

Technet /Msdn Subscribers - Get keys into EXCEL: Hi there For those of you who have MSDN or the last few days of TechNet and you want to keep your Keys for your downloads in a nice easy file do the following. 1) on the subscriber Product keys page chose EXPORT to XML 2) Save as an XML file 3) Now open with EXCEL...
  8. Previous Technet subscribers - Keys still available

Previous Technet subscribers - Keys still available: Hi there For those who were previous TechNet subscribers -- you CAN still get your keys even if you can't download the products any more. This is good for people who for example want to get a W10 licence -- you can enter a VALID W7 / W8 / W8.1 key for example for W10...
  9. Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys)

Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys): Hi there I created some Windows images on different machines this morning (30 Jul 10:56 local time) -- still activating W10 --using old keys from my Technet subcription. If you've got some keys left and some machines grab the Free upgrade while it's still working...
  10. Free W10 Update -- Technet subscribers - can still get keys

in Windows 10 Support
    Free W10 Update -- Technet subscribers - can still get keys: Hi there If you still need to create some Free W10 updates before expiry (Jul 29) and you were an old technet subscriber - you can still log on and get ALL your keys. The easy way is to save to XML (there's export to XML at the top right hand corner after you've logged in)...