Windows 10: Old to new computer in system

Discus and support Old to new computer in system in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello. When I try to get an app in my MS account it states it is downloading to my old computer not my mew one. It downloads but does it matter?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AlisonBuchanan1, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Old to new computer in system

Hello. When I try to get an app in my MS account it states it is downloading to my old computer not my mew one. It downloads but does it matter?

:)

AlisonBuchanan1, Feb 5, 2020
  2. xarzu Win User

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Feb 5, 2020
  3. Migrating old Win 10 system to New computer

My granddaughter's old laptop has a fried motherboard and she has many Apps and files for graphics work (no games) that she needs to transfer to a new laptop computer. There is an older backup but alas not a recent one.

The existing hard drive has the free Win 10 update (from Win 8) and I was hoping to migrate the whole System/Apps/Data to the new computer but the hard drive is an MBR disk and the new computer is UEFI and won't boot the old drive which I have connected
    with a USB enclosure while changing the boot type to Legacy. Presently, I have no means to access the old drive system, but can read the files as an external USB hard drive. There is a lot of data and older graphics apps that would take forever to re-establish
    individually to the new drive.

My options are:

1.) Backup the old hard drive and restore to a GPT disk, but the new computer can only read it as an external drive, and probably not the system.

2.) Copy the old hard drive to new hard drive but this will lose App settings in the registry.

3.) Convert the old drive from MBR to GPT if possible without losing Apps data and settings.

4.) Magic? - other suggestions would be appreciated.

My grand daughter is paranoid that any of the above will cause loss of data/settings, and I am trying to be her knight in shining armour, with arts college starting in a few days.

Michael

mfoster3139, Feb 5, 2020
  4. erocker Win User

Old to new computer in system

Is there a good guide out there on actually assembling the new rig?

List your system specs (All of the parts you're using), putting a computer together isn't very difficult. I can give you some steps on doing it no problem.

erocker, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

Old to new computer in system

1. Old to new computer in system - Similar Threads - Old computer system

2. Old Files on New Computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old Files on New Computer: I set up a new computer 3/21/22. In the Searches folder are a bunch of files from 1979. Most of them are pak file extensions. Would these be from something I downloaded or maybe from an update? It's just 1979 is more than just old........
  3. Old Files on New Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Files on New Computer: I set up a new computer 3/21/22. In the Searches folder are a bunch of files from 1979. Most of them are pak file extensions. Would these be from something I downloaded or maybe from an update? It's just 1979 is more than just old........
  4. problems with new and old computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    problems with new and old computer: so I recently got a new laptop and every thing I deleted on it deleted on my old one even know I wanted to keep it on my old computer. Its also same with downloads every thing I download on my new laptop ends up on my old one. How would I keep this from happening...
  5. New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system: I downloaded and installed Win 10 to a new computer from Microsoft so that I could use PC Trans to migrate my system and accounts and files from my old machine to my new machine. However, since my email address and password are the same, PC Trans thinks they're the same...
  6. new / old computer

in Windows 10 Support
    new / old computer: A friend found it on the shelf and gave it to me (ex hubby's) while it was bought used , it hadn't even been Activated . She couldn't find the adapter but that wasn't a problem, I have a couple of adapters that worked. (She's and Apple and penguin fan) It hadn't been...
  7. Install old computer on new computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Install old computer on new computer: I have an HP LaserJet 1018 printer. There is no driver for Windows 10. This printer was installed on my Windows 7 laptop when I upgraded to Window 10. After the upgrade, the printer still worked fine. I now have a new Windows 10 laptop and I would like to be able to use...
  8. New computer, old scanner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New computer, old scanner: Just got a new computer. Can't find the drivers for my Canon Lide 110 CanoScan scanner. How do I get them again without paying someone?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-old-scanner/3cab1af9-8faf-4842-866c-0d69be9c0fb0
  9. Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer: Hello My "old" (10 yea rs) computer crashed (motherboard and processor) but the system disk is still readable I had a new computer built with the latest hardware When I sttart to boot from the "old" system disk, after a few seconds, I have a "Blue Screen Of Death" (I have no...
  10. New monitor, old computer?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New monitor, old computer?: I have an older computer that I haven't updated in a long time. I recently bought a monitor that connects to the computer via DisplayPort or an HDMI. Plugged the DisplayPort cable into the computer and the monitor says no input connected. My guess is the video card is...