Windows 10: Old vista laptop

Discus and support Old vista laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I was given an old windows vista laptop that supposedly is in good condition. Unfortunately, they could not remember the password and I haven't been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 80gp, Jul 8, 2021.

1. 80gp Win User

Old vista laptop

So I was given an old windows vista laptop that supposedly is in good condition. Unfortunately, they could not remember the password and I haven't been able to get logged in. If I were to buy windows 10 installation, would it wipe it clean with an install so I can start over. Definitely don't want to spend the money if it isn't going to work. Only using the laptop for 3d printing stuff and nothing else. Just trying to not buy a new laptop

:)

80gp, Jul 8, 2021
  2. Suupala Win User

Disk boot failure after removing old Vista partition

Thank you for the reply, muchomurka! As I indicated in my post, I have already tried all the steps you suggested to no avail:

- I cannot choose startup repair since the computer does not boot from the installation media
    - I cannot use command prompt since the computer does not boot further than the POST screen
    - I have disconnected and tried out all hard drives individually.

Since I had Win 10 up and running a few hours ago, I can say with 100% certainty that none of the hardware is faulty.

The real mystery is, how come the system won't boot from any media without an empty disk containing an old Vista boot sector being on top of the boot priority list? And which steps to take now that I've cleaned this disk and it does not exist anymore?

Would appreciate any ideas and pointers!

Suupala, Jul 8, 2021
  3. Nordic Win User
    What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, Jul 8, 2021
  4. n-ster Win User

Old vista laptop

n-ster, Jul 8, 2021
Thema:

Old vista laptop

1. Old vista laptop - Similar Threads - Old vista laptop

2. What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?: I have this old Windows Xp era laptop and have Windows 7 installed but its really slow, so I was wondering if Windows Vista being older runs faster than 7....
  3. What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?: I have this old Windows Xp era laptop and have Windows 7 installed but its really slow, so I was wondering if Windows Vista being older runs faster than 7....
  4. Transferring A Old Windows Vista Laptop Product Key to another Windows 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring A Old Windows Vista Laptop Product Key to another Windows 10 Laptop: HiI had a Old HP pavilion dv5 1215ee, Now its died about 2years. Now I want to activate another Windows 10 laptop with Vista Product Key. So can I Do with that? Also I had died Toshiba satellite c660 with Windows 7 Home Basic OA MEA Product key. Can I activate anyone ?...
  5. Transferring A Old Windows Vista Laptop Product Key to another Windows 10 Laptop

Transferring A Old Windows Vista Laptop Product Key to another Windows 10 Laptop: HiI had a Old HP pavilion dv5 1215ee, Now its died about 2years. Now I want to activate another Windows 10 laptop with Vista Product Key. So can I Do with that? Also I had died Toshiba satellite c660 with Windows 7 Home Basic OA MEA Product key. Can I activate anyone ?...
  6. Transferring A Old Windows Vista Laptop Product Key to another Windows 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Old Windows Vista PC can't login

Old Windows Vista PC can't login: So recently. I picked up a Windows Vista Home Premium PC from a give and take to reuse, but unfortunately, I've run into an issue. The old password is still active, and I can't access the administrator account no matter what I do. Whether using safe mode or any other safe...
  8. Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?: Hi. I had an old Packard Bell Hera-C laptop sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe unused for nearly 13 years, but am in a situation where I need to use the built-in webcam and microphone, which I don't have on my PC. Rather than buy a new laptop, I was wondering if I could...
  9. Strange issue with old ACER laptop (Vista era)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange issue with old ACER laptop (Vista era): I have just reformatted an old ACER laptop (Vista era) which had w7 installed on it. It has got 3GB of DDR2 RAM. For some weird reason I cannot install x86 version on it because Windows Installer keeps shutting down and restarting the machine. x64 version seems to be...
  10. Reclaiming old HP/Vista/Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reclaiming old HP/Vista/Win 10: Several months ago a friend told me she was getting a new desktop machine since the old Vista machine was sick beyond repair. She asked if I would I like the old box. I agree and planned to use this as a Linux/Mint platform. When I powered up, I found Win 10 Home, four...