Windows 10: Old (Win7) games fail on Win10 AU

Discus and support Old (Win7) games fail on Win10 AU in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This has to be the least important problem with the AU, but ... Shortly after installing Win10 I installed the old W7 solitaire package using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by pokeefe0001, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Old (Win7) games fail on Win10 AU

This has to be the least important problem with the AU, but ...

Shortly after installing Win10 I installed the old W7 solitaire package using the procedure in
    Hearts and Solitaire Games in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums.
    It has been working fine for a a year or so.

Today I installed the AU on an old PC I use for testing. I noticed that the games I had pinned to Start were not there. I looked in one of the game folders and found that the .exe file was gone. (That is so bizarre that I'm not going to swear it's correct.) I uninstalled and reinstalled the games. Everything looks fine but the games won't execute ... or more likely start and immediately end.

Is this the end of the Win7 games, or is there a simple fix?

:)

pokeefe0001, Sep 6, 2016
  2. logbobi Win User

Win7ULTIMATE games

Sorry but doesn't help. I am talking about the Titan Chess, and other games in the win7 series.

The chess that is in win10 is unplayable. It is so slow I can't believe you included it in win10.

My hope is you will get the "old" games repaired soon....

logbobi, Sep 6, 2016
  3. My old games- spider solitaire, freecell, and mohjong titans.

so when I realized that MS ditched all my WIN7 games, I went to my laptop and copied all the WIN7 versions that I loved and pasted them to my WIN10 desktop. I was very proud of myself. Then I updated my laptop. Yesterday there was an extensive MS10
    update...and guess what....all my WIN7 games were erased. Now I'm screwed cause I don't have a WIN7 system to get copies of the old games. Bummer and shame on you Microsoft.

StefaniDaniels, Sep 6, 2016
  4. Old (Win7) games fail on Win10 AU

I have installed Microsoft Games for Windows 8 v1.2 on Windows 10.
    I've lost the download link, but here is a link to the files I downloaded:- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...208%20v1.2.zip

The install includes all of the games that were shipped with Windows 7 and has both 64bit and 32bit versions.

Hairy Scot, Sep 6, 2016
  5. I haven't looked at every hit in that search, but most that I did look at looked like the same ones from a year ago. Do you know for a fact that some solutions there work for AU? I saw one mention of AU, but it didn't look like it was for the old Win7 games. I'll check again.

From what I read in some of those postings, the games to version checking. Since the games I had been running on Win10 were from a Win8 package, does that imply the the internal version numbers of Win8 and pre-AU Win10 were the same, but Win10 AU has a new version number?

pokeefe0001, Sep 6, 2016
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Winaero has a page where I downloaded their Windows 7 Games for Windows 10. It was updated for Anniv and they recommend downloading after each major version. Here's their page with a current download link in Step 1 and screenshots of the install. I put this on a couple computers that I updated to Anniv so I know this one works. I had to put a shortcut to the Games folder on desktop so they wouldn't have to use the huge drop down menu created for Start menu and you get to choose which games to install or not. Go here for full info -
    Get Windows 7 games for Windows 10

mrgeek, Sep 6, 2016
  7. Yup. That worked. Thanks.

pokeefe0001, Sep 6, 2016
  8. mrgeek Win User

Old (Win7) games fail on Win10 AU

Thanks for reporting and marking topic Solved so others can find it more easily

mrgeek, Sep 6, 2016
  9. Unfortunately that version does not work after Win10 AU.

However I can confirm that the version posted by Mrgeek does work:- Get Windows 7 games for Windows 10

Hairy Scot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Old (Win7) games fail on Win10 AU

1. Old (Win7) games fail on Win10 AU - Similar Threads - Old Win7 games

2. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails: Hi,I have a Dell Precision T3600 workstation running Win7 Pro. I bought a copy of Win10 Professional from the Microsoft store. But the update fails with error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017I have removed unnecessary software. I have checked that all my drivers are up to date in...
  3. Help with networking new Win10 and old Win7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with networking new Win10 and old Win7: We've had a wired home network for many years for our 3 Win7 computers and it worked pretty well. About 2 years ago my wife got a new Win10 and a tech guy wired that into out network just fine with my remaining 2 Win7's. About a year ago we lost partial connectivity where the...
  4. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  5. Old games on Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old games on Win10?: Howdy. I have old games. Or: almost all of my games are for old computers, here are two examples of the minimum requirements: Win 3.x,Win95,98, Ram 8 MB,Graka from 256 colors Win 98,ME,XP,96 MB Ram,Pentium III is there a general trick to getting all these games to...
  6. Win7 to Win10 inline upgrade is failing with CalculateRequiredDiskSpaceInstallReq2184:...

Win7 to Win10 inline upgrade is failing with CalculateRequiredDiskSpaceInstallReq2184:...: Hi, Win7 32bit pro to Win10 bit pro inline upgrade is failing - no antivirus running - no external devices attached - C drive has 77GB space available - Executed disk clean up - Executed disk defragment - Executed disk checkdisk /f - did the clean reboot The Win10...
  7. Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen

Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen: I'm trying to update a win7 machine to win10. At a certain point the screen became black and nothing happen. The problem occurs when install is at "Cortana choice page", for a short time I can see a "Disconnecting" message and then the screen became black, still on but...
  8. Win7 games on Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 games on Win10: A while ago I installed Win7 games on Win10 using msgames_win8_x64.msi as mentioned in thread Hearts and Solitaire Games in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I wondered if this was legal but did it anyway. Installing the TH2 update removed the games. I installed them again, but...
  9. Gaming hardware drivers for Win7 OK in Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Gaming hardware drivers for Win7 OK in Win10?: I haven't had the new PC delivered yet, but am wondering if, as Vista drivers for gaming hardware tended to be OK in Win7, should they and/or Win7 drivers work in Win10? Thinking of things like Saitek X52, Belkin Nostromo N52.. I could of course post to the various...
  10. Optiplex 7010 Upgrade win7 to win10 failed

Optiplex 7010 Upgrade win7 to win10 failed: Looking for some advice. As stated, I'm trying to upgrade a Dell Optiplex 7010 from Win7 to Win10 and keep getting a failed install due to 0xC1900101-0x30017 "the installation failed in the first_boot phase with an error during boot operation". Normally I would do a clean...