Windows 10: Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware

Discus and support Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Installed a new mobo/ram/cpu into my old case and have found that the key I was using with the old hardware wont activate. Tried calling microsoft's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Resomatic, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Resomatic Win User

Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware

Installed a new mobo/ram/cpu into my old case and have found that the key I was using with the old hardware wont activate.

Tried calling microsoft's phoneline to see if customer support will activate it for me but their automated phone system is garbage and hangs up on me after I press the option for windows activations. Have tried this several times and did actually get through one time but was connected to some Indian sounding guy who couldn't speak a word of English or understand my accent, quality outsourcing there microsoft!

Not sure what else I can do.

:)

Resomatic, Jan 7, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jan 7, 2019
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Hi guys,
    Okay, so I wanted to know, I currently have a pc at home with a paid Windows 7 installed. I am getting a new computer either Friday or Monday with an SSD. Seeing as I want Windows 10 now and not 7 and I want it on my SSD how to I get to do this. I already downloaded a Windows 10 file in order to make one of my flash drives eligible for a windows 10 installation.

Will it be possible for me to just install windows 10 on the new SSD with this flash drive using my Windows 7 key, whilst my original windows 7 is still installed on the old Hard drive. And if it is how to I go about deleting my old OS from the HDD, seeing as I also want to use that HDD in my new pc, without formatting all the games I have on it currently?

Thank you in advance

MichaelDFF, Jan 7, 2019
  4. Marcel Win User

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Once your key is registered with your motherboard you can always exchange the hdd for an ssd, just install it on the new ssd, after successful activation on your old hdd, windows will be activated on the new ssd.

Also a clean install with a windows 7 key will work, just skip the serial and afterwards go to change productkey and fill in the w7 key.

Marcel, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware - Similar Threads - Old key Hardware

2. Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware: I have windows 10 pro and my workstation no longer meets minimum requirements for certain software I wish to install - I would like to move my existing 10 pro licence by moving the hard drive of my current workstation to another and with fresh install of 10 pro - is this...
  3. Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware: I have windows 10 pro and my workstation no longer meets minimum requirements for certain software I wish to install - I would like to move my existing 10 pro licence by moving the hard drive of my current workstation to another and with fresh install of 10 pro - is this...
  4. Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC?: I do currently still have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro on my PC. I now want to upgrade my PC and I've bought a new motherboard and a new processor. I assume that after swapping those parts out, I will need to reinstall Winodws. So I've downloaded the Windows 10 media...
  6. Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop: Hi. Searching in the internet i've read over and over that those stickers with windows keys in my case windows 7 home are tied to that computer, you can't transfer to another laptop, andwon't work even if you try yeah right... So why did it work in my case? Old laptop not...
  7. Getting new Hardware, can I use the old Product key?

Getting new Hardware, can I use the old Product key?: Hello, I bought the Windows 7 Home Premium CD years ago and later upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. Now I want to get new Motherboard, CPU, Storage and RAM. 1. Can I use the old Product key Windows 7 Home Premium to activate Windows 10 Home after I reinstall it on the...
  8. network new windows 10 to old windows 10 and windows 7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network new windows 10 to old windows 10 and windows 7: I have two computers networked a windows 10 to windows 7. My old windows 10 shares the new windows 10 and the windows 7. My windows 7 shares the new and old windows 10 computers. My new windows 10 shares with my old windows 10, but my problem is the new widows 10 does not...
  9. Old Win 7 key - new Win 10 HDD install question ...

Old Win 7 key - new Win 10 HDD install question ...: I paid retail for 3 copies - "Family Pack" - Win 7 Home Premium many years ago. They all 3 use the same install key. I am now finally getting around to investigating Win 10. Previously I only used two of the 3 as Win 7 and never actually activated one of them. I just now...
  10. Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD: My situation is this: I have now Windows 7 in my HDD, and I just bought a new SSD to install Windows 10 in. Also bought a new Windows 7 license (old one is pirated *Rolleyes). I'm going to install Win7, then upgrade to Windows 10 and do clean install. The question is, will I...