Windows 10: Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop

Discus and support Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. Searching in the internet i've read over and over that those stickers with windows keys in my case windows 7 home are tied to that computer, you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rui.jorge, May 8, 2020.

1. rui.jorge Win User

Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop

Hi.

Searching in the internet i've read over and over that those stickers with windows keys in my case windows 7 home are tied to that computer, you can't transfer to another laptop, andwon't work even if you try yeah right...

So why did it work in my case?

Old laptop not in use with old windows 7 key, also not in use.

New laptop, downloaded windows 10 from Microsoft and use that old windows 7 key.

Windows 10 home installed and activated.

So why did it work in my case?

Thanks

:)

rui.jorge, May 8, 2020

2. windows 7 key reuse

Hey guys,

I'm selling my 1 year old laptop (laptop 2 in sig), which came with Vista OEM.
    I installed windows 7 on it with a key from MSDN. My best friend(the buyer) will format the laptop before he gives it to his sister, so I wanted to know how I can reuse my key for a new pc in the future.

I googled a little bit, but I couldn't find a clear answer. Will I have to call Microsoft or something?

kind regards,

CounterZeus, May 8, 2020
  3. Need some help. Old HDD. New laptop.

Yes, that would be a favorable solution if possible. But it requires what I said as a first step. Once he gets booted into the OS, then he can either use it as is or try to recover the product key. I'm not saying he couldn't do what you said, I was replying to another post that suggested simply copy/pasting documents from the old hard drive.

Papahyooie, May 8, 2020
  4. batboio Win User

Using an old Windows 7 on a new laptop (and upgrading to Win 10)

I am currently looking to buy a new laptop on a somewhat tight budget. In order to get a bit better parts I have the option of buying it without a Windows license. I need Windows however and after some thinking I remembered that I have an old PC collecting dust which should have a retail version of Windows 7. Now I've long forgotten where the key is or even if I had a key (it might have been a volume license thing from work) so I have a few questions...

1. How can I check what type of license I have and whether it can be transferred to a new PC?
    2. If I can use the old license, how can I see the activation key?
    3. I've read that even now (about 2 years later) one can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free? How is the best way to do this? I mean is it better to upgrade on the old PC and then reinstall on the new one, or should I install Win 7 on the new laptop and then upgrade?

I hope I've managed to ask my questions clearly enough as I don't think I understand Microsoft's licensing policy well.

Thank you!

batboio, May 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop - Similar Threads - Old key laptop

2. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?: I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-old-not-in-use-laptop-with-win7-product/7176e101-a954-4b38-9d24-5c7a87b1d08d
  3. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?: I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-old-not-in-use-laptop-with-win7-product/7176e101-a954-4b38-9d24-5c7a87b1d08d
  4. Windows 10 key from old laptop on new one

Windows 10 key from old laptop on new one: HelloMy laptop motherboard died so I bought second hand for replace. Is there a way I can use my old laptop windows lincense on a new one?System was installed on 2.5 SSD and new one has only m.2 storage. I can't add 2.5 disk to my new laptop lenovo x13.Kind regards...
  5. Windows 10 key from old laptop on new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 key from old laptop on new one: HelloMy laptop motherboard died so I bought second hand for replace. Is there a way I can use my old laptop windows lincense on a new one?System was installed on 2.5 SSD and new one has only m.2 storage. I can't add 2.5 disk to my new laptop lenovo x13.Kind regards...
  6. Windows 10 key from old laptop on new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC?: I do currently still have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro on my PC. I now want to upgrade my PC and I've bought a new motherboard and a new processor. I assume that after swapping those parts out, I will need to reinstall Winodws. So I've downloaded the Windows 10 media...
  8. Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine: Googled this to death and cant find anyone asking the question . I have an existing Win 7 Ultimate computer, and I've built a new Ryzen box and installed Win 10 Pro on it . I wanted to try and use the key from Win 7 , to see if that will activate. The only concern I have...
  9. product key used for new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    product key used for new laptop: I got a new laptop and using the same product key used for my previous one can the same key work on the new laptop or do I have to buy another subscription ? the last subscription was bought 4 days back and trying to disable on the older laptop...
  10. Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware

Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware: Installed a new mobo/ram/cpu into my old case and have found that the key I was using with the old hardware wont activate. Tried calling microsoft's phoneline to see if customer support will activate it for me but their automated phone system is garbage and hangs up on me...