Windows 10: Old windows install SSD has its User folder write protected

Discus and support Old windows install SSD has its User folder write protected in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi!I've stumbled upon an issue that I can't resolve.I've had a big tech windows issue that forced me to reinstall it on a fresh drive. I still have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by amg313, Oct 1, 2022.

1. amg313 Win User

Old windows install SSD has its User folder write protected

Hi!I've stumbled upon an issue that I can't resolve.I've had a big tech windows issue that forced me to reinstall it on a fresh drive. I still have the previous windows install SSD and figured I would plug it back afterwards to grab the files I need to recover before eventually formatting it, however this doesn't seem to be currently possible.The drive is recognized, but I am locked out of my old User folder X:/Users/Username as its access is "denied". I've tried changing its permissions but then it claims that the "media is write protected" and the permissions and security settings cannot b

:)

amg313, Oct 1, 2022

2. How do you remove write-protection on a folder?

Maybe in Windows 10 it is a little more complicated than the old article suggests. Win 10 sets the document folder itself (along with pictures and so on) to write protect. It can be changed with administrator rights, but it will immediately revert to write
    protect. That means that not even from Word you can save a new document in the Document folder.

So - Users Document Folder is write protected even from both its owner and any administrator. Doesnt seem too smart...

Peter Fangel, Oct 1, 2022
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Old windows install SSD has its User folder write protected :)

Frogger, Oct 1, 2022
  4. larrens Win User

Clean SSD install (Users folders remain on HDD) - help

My desktop has an old SSD (Win10 boot and applications) and HDD for Users files / data.

I am replacing the old SSD with a new one and will do a clean install of Windows10 Home 64bit and all applications.
    I will keep my existing Users files data on the HDD.

2 questions:

1. Is it best to disconnect the HDD while doing the SSD clean install and then reconnecting the HDD once Win10 installation is complete?
    2. Regarding Users folder on the HDD - what is the best way to instruct Windows that the Users folders will be on the HDD?

1. during installation / setup (eg. using audit mode, registry editor etc), or
    2. after the Windows 10 SSD installation is completed and selecting move the location of the users folders within Windows that have been set up to the HDD?

Thanks

larrens, Oct 1, 2022
Thema:

1. Old windows install SSD has its User folder write protected - Similar Threads - Old install SSD

2. Accessing a User Profile Folder on old SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing a User Profile Folder on old SSD: I recently took out my old SSD out of my laptop, and I am trying to transfer the files in my User profile folder to my new SSD. As I am accessing my profile folder, it provides a prompt that I need admin access in order to go into the folder. As I proceed onto the...
  3. Accessing a User Profile Folder on old SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a User Profile Folder on old SSD: I recently took out my old SSD out of my laptop, and I am trying to transfer the files in my User profile folder to my new SSD. As I am accessing my profile folder, it provides a prompt that I need admin access in order to go into the folder. As I proceed onto the...
  4. User has 2 User folders causing ERROR: "Microsoft Edge Can't read and write to its data...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User has 2 User folders causing ERROR: "Microsoft Edge Can't read and write to its data...: Hi,I have an issue where my managed machine gives a user 2 user folders kyletest and AzureAD_kyletest_$. THe user does not have any access to the AzureAD_kyletest_$ folder; therefore, when logging into an app gives me the error "Microsoft Edge Can't read and write to its data...
  5. User has 2 User folders causing ERROR: "Microsoft Edge Can't read and write to its data...

User has 2 User folders causing ERROR: "Microsoft Edge Can't read and write to its data...: Hi,I have an issue where my managed machine gives a user 2 user folders kyletest and AzureAD_kyletest_$. THe user does not have any access to the AzureAD_kyletest_$ folder; therefore, when logging into an app gives me the error "Microsoft Edge Can't read and write to its data...
  6. Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD: I’ll try to keep this short but honestly there’s a ton to dig into here. Built my current PC last year, have had zero troubles with it. Boot drive is a Samsung Evo 970 1TB running Windows 10. Literally no problems whatsoever until today. I’m watching that Netflix documentary...
  7. Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD

Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD: I’ll try to keep this short but honestly there’s a ton to dig into here. Built my current PC last year, have had zero troubles with it. Boot drive is a Samsung Evo 970 1TB running Windows 10. Literally no problems whatsoever until today. I’m watching that Netflix documentary...
  8. Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Old windows install SSD has its User folder write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old windows install SSD has its User folder write protected: Hi!I've stumbled upon an issue that I can't resolve.I've had a big tech windows issue that forced me to reinstall it on a fresh drive. I still have the previous windows install SSD and figured I would plug it back afterwards to grab the files I need to recover before...
  10. Can't access SSD as "media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access SSD as "media is write protected": Hi there. I was looking for a solution to an issue I've been having and came across this forum. Maybe someone could help? I recently had a few problems with my PC, leading to me replacing and swapping different components. I originally had the SSD as my main drive, having...