Windows 10: Old windows key never used

Discus and support Old windows key never used in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. I have an old asus laptop that came with windows 7 home installed. As far i remember i probably never used that windows home since at the time i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rui.jorge, Apr 12, 2020.

1. rui.jorge Win User

Old windows key never used

Hi.

I have an old asus laptop that came with windows 7 home installed. As far i remember i probably never used that windows home since at the time i had acess to windows 7 pro from my college. I did a clean install of windows 7 pro and using the pro version i upgraded to windows 10 pro a few years later. This old laptop as a sticker with a home edtion serial that i never used it.

On my recent asus laptop, which was bought with no windows, i decided to try out the key that’s in the sticker of my old asus laptop the serial of the home edition, windows version that i removed right after buying that old laptop. I downloaded windows 10 from microsoft, used that old serial and it worked just fine. Installed windows 10 home edition. I did not use any “trick”.

Contrary to what i’ve read across the internet it just worked. Can you explain me why did work without any trick? Can i still use it?

Ps: About any grammar error you may find in this post...English is not my native language and for some reason my keyboard tablet word correction is not showing up.

:)

rui.jorge, Apr 12, 2020
  2. Feather Win User

Free upgrade still working using old keys

Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works. I tested today. First I installed and activated Windows 8.1 (I used an old Windows 8 key that had never been used) and after this I upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

Note that Windows 10 upgrade installation does not accept Windows 7/8.x product key, so you need to select the option I'm reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC (see screenshot below).

Old windows key never used [​IMG]

You can also clean install Windows 10 and activate it directly with your unused Windows 7/8.x product key.

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Feather, Apr 12, 2020
  3. Need old Windows Start menu

Hi,

I realize that you need the old Windows start menu. I will try to help you with this issue.

You can click the hash icon located above the 3D Builder icon to check if that helps.

Suggest you to follow these steps to check if that helps:

• Press Windows key + I to get the Settings screen.

• Click on Personalization and click Start.

• Enable the feature for “use start full screen”.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Old windows key never used

Need some help. Old HDD. New laptop.

Yes, that would be a favorable solution if possible. But it requires what I said as a first step. Once he gets booted into the OS, then he can either use it as is or try to recover the product key. I'm not saying he couldn't do what you said, I was replying to another post that suggested simply copy/pasting documents from the old hard drive.

Papahyooie, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

Old windows key never used

1. Old windows key never used - Similar Threads - Old key never

2. Retrieve windows key never installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retrieve windows key never installed: I have been having issues on retrieving my windows license key, it is shown that in my subscriptions of Microsoft services, the windows 10/11 is included so that I should have my licence key but I don't think I know what is it. Can I use my unique ID to retrieve the product...
  3. Retrieve windows key never installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retrieve windows key never installed: I have been having issues on retrieving my windows license key, it is shown that in my subscriptions of Microsoft services, the windows 10/11 is included so that I should have my licence key but I don't think I know what is it. Can I use my unique ID to retrieve the product...
  4. Activate product key that was used for old laptop that was spolied

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate product key that was used for old laptop that was spolied: I bought a new laptop to replace my old one that could not start up. How do i activate my office using the same product key on my new laptop?...
  5. Use old Windows 10 Key?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use old Windows 10 Key?: I buy a new notebook and want to use the Windows 10 Key from my old notebook. Is that possible? And generally, is it possible to use one key for several devices? Alten Windows 10 Key benutzen?
  6. Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop

Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop: Hi. Searching in the internet i've read over and over that those stickers with windows keys in my case windows 7 home are tied to that computer, you can't transfer to another laptop, andwon't work even if you try yeah right... So why did it work in my case? Old laptop not...
  7. Product key never accepted

Product key never accepted: I am a lecturer at a university, and some years ago, I purchased a Surface with the intention of using it in class. At the time, I was never able to get your corporation to accept the product key, and I tried every so often. Of course, Microsoft help at the time was useless,...
  8. Reload windows 10 use old product key

Reload windows 10 use old product key: I, had a new windows 8 computer and took the free upgraded to windows 10. I have the product code for the windows 10. If I reload the computer will I be able to use the product code again? Thanks...
  9. never got product key

never got product key: back in may i ordered a office pro plus 2016 backup thumb drive. didn't open the package at the time, so didnt know there was not a product key enclosed. now i need the key but don't have access to the "order history" what can I do ?...
  10. Using old product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using old product key: I purchased a long while back original product key for windows 10 pro and used it on my stationary PC which I don't have anymore (only kept the HDD), and I was wondering if there is any chance my key can be transfered onto my new machine (laptop) or do I really have to buy...