Windows 10: Old Windows left after re-install

Discus and support Old Windows left after re-install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had to reinstall Win10 Pro 64 after boot sector failure. I have been left with a Directory in my C drive containing a huge amount of Windows files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wobblybootie, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Old Windows left after re-install

I had to reinstall Win10 Pro 64 after boot sector failure. I have been left with a Directory in my C drive containing a huge amount of Windows files etc named 'Windows.old' this contains the following directories, 'Program Files, Recovery (empty), Users and Windows. This directory is huge, 20.3Gb containing in excess of 230,000 files.

This is taking up valuable space on my SSD which is unacceptable.

My question is simple. Can I safely remove this directory? I have been advised that should I do so then I will end up repeating the reinstall exercise ad infinitum as the offending directory will keep reappearing.

Is a completely new install with a clean formatted 'C' my only option?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Tim

:)

Wobblybootie, Jun 2, 2017

2. Win 10 Anniversary Update Stuck on Reboot

My notebook for the 5th try, is still running the old version of windows 10

Powered my notebook down. Forced during reboot. Removed the battery and left it off for several minutes. Powered up without the battery and it went to perpetual reboot again. After one hour I forced stop again, re-installed battery and powered up. It then reverted
    back to old version of windows 10.

DaveWirth9933, Jun 2, 2017
  3. ASUS T100A webcam not working after update to windows 10 ver 1607

My webcam has stopped working again after the update to 1607. This happened with the last major update as well but last time I re-installed the old drivers and it solved the problem. Re-installing the old drivers didn't work this time so I am left wondering.
    I can't rollback to the previous version of windows because I had to delete it for space reasons on my hard drive.

The webcam drivers report working correctly in the device manager but applications such as Skype do not detect any webcam installation.

Any suggestions welcome

John

notthesaint, Jun 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Old Windows left after re-install

This will be deleted automatically probably 10 days after upgrading. It is there to support reverting to the previous version.

Otherwise a simple search resolves the issue.

Here's a tutorial from the Tutorial section, which you're free to browse and search.
    Delete Windows.old Folder in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Note that Macrium Reflect's boot disk (or Macrium on Kyhi's boot disk available at the top of the Software and Apps section) offers a useful Fix Boot feature.

dalchina, Jun 2, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Wobblybootie

Dalchina has answered 'how' to remove windows.old, the question remains 'why' you had one.

How did you reinstall Windows? From your own media? or from the manufacturer's 'reset to factory' procedure? Either way you may have installed a previous version (1607 or 1511). On first boot and checking for updates the Creators Update may have downloaded and upgraded this to the current version 1703. Check what version you have now with Winver, the latest is 1703, os build 15063.332.

Elsewhere on this forum there are reports of brand new 'out of the box' PCs having a windows.old. Seems that, rather than develop a new image each time Microsoft releases the next version, some OEMs are still supplying PCs with 1511 images on them that upgrade themselves to 1703 when first turned on.

Bree, Jun 2, 2017
  6. Stevekir Win User
    My Winver shows 1607 (OS Build 14393.118), and I am told I am up to date ??

Old Windows left after re-install [​IMG]

Stevekir, Jun 2, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    @Stevekir - different issue. Same as mine. I have 'Defer feature updates' set (= don't give me the CU - Win 10 Pro).

If you're not due the CU by Windows update, or have done the above, that's fine.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Old Windows left after re-install

1. Old Windows left after re-install - Similar Threads - Old left install

2. After Windows Re-Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Windows Re-Install: After I performed a window Re-Install the following number of issues emerged and I am sure that there will be more.Cannot open Computer as per an Administrator Computer management once opened without as been Administrator will not close unless the computer is...
  3. After Windows Re-Install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After Windows Re-Install: After I performed a window Re-Install the following number of issues emerged and I am sure that there will be more.Cannot open Computer as per an Administrator Computer management once opened without as been Administrator will not close unless the computer is...
  4. Re-installation of your product after re-installation of OS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-installation of your product after re-installation of OS: Hi, I am your customer.In 2019 I bought from you Microsoft Visio Professional 2019. I have an invoice number and order reference and the whole receipt. I need to re-install my operational System Windows 10. After that, I will need to re-install Visio. I do not remember if I...
  5. Re-installation of your product after re-installation of OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-installation of your product after re-installation of OS: Hi, I am your customer.In 2019 I bought from you Microsoft Visio Professional 2019. I have an invoice number and order reference and the whole receipt. I need to re-install my operational System Windows 10. After that, I will need to re-install Visio. I do not remember if I...
  6. Re-installation of your product after re-installation of OS

7. Trying to remove 'old' system files after a re-install -

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to remove 'old' system files after a re-install -: Hi Forum.After a recent re-install which went badly due to an undiscovered hardware fault - now resolved I was left with a whole bunch on Windows.old folders about 5 versions containing the old/failed Windows structures. I was able to delete all my old files from the last 2,...
  8. Re- Windows Old Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re- Windows Old Folder: Hi There , My name is Jamie Bratcher- I have an old windows folder from when my windows did the update when I did a factory reset- it had automatically updated to the new October windows update- and my laptop doesn't like it can some one please let me know the exact number of...
  9. Reclaiming Apps for re-install after re-install W10

Reclaiming Apps for re-install after re-install W10: I've been digging through many fora for this obvious issue...cannot find. Once I wipe out all the apps and data by a Re-install / Clean Install: I got the data backed up, but there was backup of the apps. How do I get the paid ones back? Surely not >Store...
  10. after clean re-installation of windows..

in Windows 10 Support
    after clean re-installation of windows..: After clean re-installation of windows. is AV and internet security the first thing I should install before connecting to the internet? 90660