Windows 10: Old Windows Photo viewer freezing with Iphone, works fine w all others

Discus and support Old Windows Photo viewer freezing with Iphone, works fine w all others in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all! Strange issue going on - win 10 updated with the old windows photo viewer added as default Have used the same PC for 6 months using the old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Miami305, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Miami305 Win User

Old Windows Photo viewer freezing with Iphone, works fine w all others

Hi all! Strange issue going on - win 10 updated with the old windows photo viewer added as default

Have used the same PC for 6 months using the old photo viewer for pc pictures and with a number of Iphones; import/copy photos mainly. Never any issue viewing, moving, deleting iphone photos from the PC until a few days ago

Suddenly, ANY iphone plugged in causes the same problem - I can open old photo viewer, view all dcim folders and all images in them as thumbnails. However, the minute I click on something, it either totally freezes, or give an error, or it will take 60 seconds or so to come up, then another freeze and take another 60 seconds when I try to go to the next picture.

Tried 3 iphones - all the same issue. WD hard drive works fine with zero issues viewing photos. PC photos work fine too.
    Just tried on a laptop too, and same issues, occasionally getting "windows photo viewer can't open this picture bc either PV doesn't support file format, or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer" (It's a normal jpg)

Photos can be viewed fine in paint, if that matters

Evenutally, and often when I'm trying to close it out - i'll get a "com surrogate is not responding" error

What am I missing / what do I have set wrong?

Thanks in advange Old Windows Photo viewer freezing with Iphone, works fine w all others :)

:)

Miami305, Jul 18, 2020
  2. Javo Win User

iPhone Photos import to Windows 10 PC not working

I would like to troubleshoot my inability to import photos from iPhone to Windows 10. I am an advanced user struggling to find relevant help on the internet since most results are unusable masked adverts for paid third party software.

I want to use it the following way

1. connect iPhone via USB to my Windows 10 PC
    2. open Microsoft "Photos" app
    3. click in the upper right on import > add from the device over USB
    4. select all photos and click import

4th step is where it fails, with no usable message.

• I have set the device as trusted on iPhone
    • I mostly don't see it in My Computer, therefore I cannot just copy
    • I tried uninstalling every driver and iTunes software
    • Despite not being visible in Windows Explorer, iTunes can always access the contents with no issue
    • it has a tiny moments when it starts working, but overall import fails sooner or later and never copies all 3k photos. Mostly MSPhotos don't show any content, just failure message, sometimes it shows it's content and acts as I can select what to import, but as described fails sooner or later
    • iTunes can successfully copy entire phone.

Other attempts
    • I tried multiple free 3rd party SW, all of them either failed or seemed like to be usable only after buying their extended version
    • I tried using iTunes for Syncing the Photos
      • I maybe don't know how to use it, or it is faulty too. But I've set the directory where my Photos should be synced, but sync seems to just backup the phone and creates tiny 'Photo Database file', but no photo actually gets copied onto PC.

3. iko22 Win User
    How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

Old Windows Photo viewer freezing with Iphone, works fine w all others [​IMG]

I have downloaded this, and it did not work; photo viewer is not in the list of programs in Open With or Default App. I used option 2 step 3, followed by step 5 to 9.

iko22, Jul 18, 2020
  4. cheeesus Win User

How to bring back Photo Viewer in Windows 10?

Unfortunately, none of the above answers worked for me, but they pointed me in the right direction.

1. Right-click on an image in Windows Explorer, choose Open With, then Choose another app.
    2. In the dialog, scroll down and click on More apps, then `Look for another app on this PC.
    3. Then, at the bottom right, choose All Files (*.*) instead of Programs (*.exe ...), then navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer and choose PhotoViewer.dll.
    4. Photo Viewer opens. Close it.
    5. Repeat Step 1: Right-click again on the image, choose Open With, then Choose another app.
    6. Again scroll down to click on More apps.
    7. Now Windows Photo Viewer appears in the apps list. Choose it and click on Always use this app to open .png files.

Once you did steps 1-4, you don't have to repeat them for other file types. Steps 5-7 should suffice.

cheeesus, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Old Windows Photo viewer freezing with Iphone, works fine w all others - Similar Threads - Old Photo viewer

2. Windows Photo Viewer The old old is not working despite me having it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Photo Viewer The old old is not working despite me having it: Made a custom Windows 10 ISO with stuff debloated, accidentally removed Photo Viewer, wanted it back, asked my friend for his Windows Photo Viewer folder, placed it in Program Files folder, restarted computer, doesn't work.I have the registry files already which enables it,...
  3. Windows Photo Viewer The old old is not working despite me having it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Photo Viewer The old old is not working despite me having it: Made a custom Windows 10 ISO with stuff debloated, accidentally removed Photo Viewer, wanted it back, asked my friend for his Windows Photo Viewer folder, placed it in Program Files folder, restarted computer, doesn't work.I have the registry files already which enables it,...
  4. Windows Photo Viewer The old old is not working despite me having it

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10: Windows event sounds not working; all other sounds working fine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Windows event sounds not working; all other sounds working fine.: For example, when I plug in or unplug a USB flash drive I no longer get the appropriate sounds.I went to "Change System Sounds" and the "Windows Default" scheme is chosen.When I choose an event with an assigned sound and click "test" no sound is made.*All* other sound works...
  6. Photos App not working with iPhone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos App not working with iPhone: I have a windows 10 laptop, and an iPhone 7, and I need to back up my pictures from my iPhone to my laptop. The standard method that I found is to simply plug your phone into your laptop, and the photos app will automatically find the pictures and allow you to download them....
  7. Old Windows Photo viewer freezing with Iphone, works fine w all others

Old Windows Photo viewer freezing with Iphone, works fine w all others: Hi all! Strange issue going on - win 10 updated with the old windows photo viewer added as default Have used the same PC for 6 months using the old photo viewer for pc pictures and with a number of Iphones; import/copy photos mainly. Never any issue viewing, moving, deleting...
  8. Import iPhone photos not working

Import iPhone photos not working: The Photos app on my PC keeps saying Try Again when I click the photos from my iPhone I want to import.The iPhone is attached via Usb. I need help troubleshooting this issue....
  9. Photos App Freeze during IPhone Photo Import

Photos App Freeze during IPhone Photo Import: Every time I attempt to import photos from IPhone X with Windows Photos App, it begins the "Looking for new photos and videos" screen, reaches the total number of photos and videos, then freezes. I have current version of windows, current version of IPhone software, the app...
  10. Photo Viewer not working

Photo Viewer not working: My default microsoft photo viewer app has not been working! It crashes as soon as soon as it is opened and the message displayed is "File system error (-2147219196) I've tried all the commands on powershell, I have repaired and reset the app, and even uninstalled and...