Windows 10: Older Dell n4110 laptop won't reset, now frozen during windows clean install of Win10

Discus and support Older Dell n4110 laptop won't reset, now frozen during windows clean install of Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello MS Community. I am a long time reader and follower of the advice and tips laid out in this community, so thanks very much for that. This is my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Maria#P, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Maria#P Win User

Older Dell n4110 laptop won't reset, now frozen during windows clean install of Win10

Hello MS Community. I am a long time reader and follower of the advice and tips laid out in this community, so thanks very much for that. This is my first time ever posting a question and I'm doing so because I am exhausted. So much research, lots of failed attempts to fix.

I bought an old Dell laptop a couple months ago off OfferUp, used obviously. It's an N4110 i3 and it's fine. No issues, has done it's job of casual computing sufficiently. About a month after getting it, I decided to give it to my uncle, so I did a reset on it without issue and gave the newly cleaned Dell to him. I ended up having to borrow it back while repairing an issue on my replacement laptop, and am now ready to wipe it again and return it to my uncle. I've spent the last week trying to do another reset on it, which is not working, and researching why it's not working, and trying every suggested fix I find, all of which have failed. A reset is just not happening. I've tried accessing the reset option from all the different areas on the laptop, I've tried reset with cleaning everything vs. reset with leaving files behind just to see if it would work, have tried the sfc /scannow thing, the reagentc disable/enable thing, I've installed updates and tried a reset, I've uninstalled updates and tried to reset, and some other stuff I can't remember.

Now, I've finally created the Win10 installation media on a USB drive. Downloaded the media creation tool directly from MS and did it that way, and have attempted the clean install. I realize this is the first solution suggested by many sites/people, but I was saving that as a last resort. First few steps went fine, booted from the USB without issue, I deleted the existing partitions and sent it on its way to do its thing. After only a short time, like 5 or 10 minutes, it went from the screen saying it was installing to the black Dell logo screen with the "F2 setup" and "F12 boot options" in the lower right hand corner. The blue progress bar under the logo is somewhere around 55, 60%. It's been frozen there, and on this page, for a long time. About an hour now.

Is that "normal" that it's on this page for this long, or did it freeze up? If it's frozen, what should I do? I have not attempted anything anything further at this point.

Thanks!!

Maria

:)

Maria#P, Mar 14, 2020

2. Internet Sharing in Nokia Lumia 1320 with Dell inspiron N4110

I think you narrowed down the problem to a crazy combination of some hardware thing on the N4110 and the 1320. The way I see it, there is no solution to this. the N4110 is a older device - i assume based on the information available on the dell website -
    and probably does not recognize your 1320 which uses a more recent internet sharing hardware.

Jay_answers, Mar 14, 2020
  3. A.Piyush Win User
    Internet Sharing in Nokia Lumia 1320 with Dell inspiron N4110

Hi:

I tried internet sharing on my Nokia Lumia 1320 with my Dell inspiron N4110 laptop. The signal strength is good and it shows "internet access" but neither web pages are opened nor any other service using internet works. The laptop works well with android
    phones and wi-fi. Also the Lumia shares internet well with other devices like i-pad and Lumia 520. But the marriage of Lumia1320 and Dell inspiron N4110 is not taking place.

Pls suggest some wayout.

A.Piyush, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Older Dell n4110 laptop won't reset, now frozen during windows clean install of Win10

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

Older Dell n4110 laptop won't reset, now frozen during windows clean install of Win10

1. Older Dell n4110 laptop won't reset, now frozen during windows clean install of Win10 - Similar Threads - Older Dell n4110

2. Frozen button during Windows installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frozen button during Windows installation: I factory reset my Asus Tuf Gaming FX504 to give it to my sister. When I got to the license agreement part of the Windows installation right after connecting to a network, the "Accept" button to continue through the installation process wouldn't work. But other buttons, such...
  3. Frozen button during Windows installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frozen button during Windows installation: I factory reset my Asus Tuf Gaming FX504 to give it to my sister. When I got to the license agreement part of the Windows installation right after connecting to a network, the "Accept" button to continue through the installation process wouldn't work. But other buttons, such...
  4. Frozen button during Windows installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Resetting my laptop but instalation is frozen on 65%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resetting my laptop but instalation is frozen on 65%: Its been around like 7 hours since I started the process, but I'm concerned because the screen is frozen at 65%. I don't know what to do. Please help! Computer: Lenovo Yoga 710 11 inch...
  6. Resetting my laptop but instalation is frozen on 65%

Resetting my laptop but instalation is frozen on 65%: Its been around like 7 hours since I started the process, but I'm concerned because the screen is frozen at 65%. I don't know what to do. Please help! Computer: Lenovo Yoga 710 11 inch...
  7. Dell Inspiron N4110 Stuck In Bootloop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell Inspiron N4110 Stuck In Bootloop: My laptop is stuck in the bootloop and i cant press any buttons and cant do anything if anyone has a answer to this problem plz let me know thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-inspiron-n4110-stuck-in-bootloop/90c7b66d-95ad-4b2b-87b8-3b9a4320a86c
  8. 'clean install' of Windows 10 in older laptop

'clean install' of Windows 10 in older laptop: Friends. I've built a few pcs for myself and friends for a few years and have installed and done clean installs on my pc before, but I am questioning my thoughts on my present situation. A customer of mine gave me his old HP Pavilion however it is so full of his old...
  9. Laptop Frozen During Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Laptop Frozen During Restore: Initiated a Restore to an earlier Restore Point and the Laptop is now frozen at a black screen (at least for 30 minutes now). Help! Win10 Build 1709 104477
  10. PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot

PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot: Hi all, Hoping somebody can help. I think my PC was trying to install Windows 10 when I did some Windows Updates recently. I use the word "think" because I never signed up for the free upgrade and I never agreed for Windows 10 to be installed on my PC and I don't recall...