Windows 10: Older games - can't change in-game brightness when using multiple monitors

Discus and support Older games - can't change in-game brightness when using multiple monitors in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello r/windows10! I'm at my wit's end with this issue, I've tried everything I can think of. I've been trying to work with both Star Wars: Knights... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jenko-unchained, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Older games - can't change in-game brightness when using multiple monitors

Hello r/windows10!

I'm at my wit's end with this issue, I've tried everything I can think of.

I've been trying to work with both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games. I'm on Windows 10, 2004 using the newest NVIDIA drivers. What's not working is that I cannot change the in-game brightness at all. Moving the slider (or adjusting the swkotor.ini file) doesn't make any difference.

Where it gets weird is that if I disconnect my extra monitors and run a single-monitor configuration, it works fine!

I know that the easy solution would be to simply play the game in one monitor, but... I'm a content creator that makes movies using the game. Simply put, I need to have a ton of other stuff open to mod and manipulate the game I want, then record it for editing. Since I color-correct and grade the footage, the higher brightness gives me more headroom to work with. The default brightness setting is too dark and after color grading, the footage is almost unusable.

I've tried reinstalling my drivers, using DDU, I've tried studio drivers, game ready in both DCH and standard. I've tried running compatibility, administrator, and removing full screen optimizations. Even messed with monitor color profiles, installing DirectX9 onto the system, older drivers. None of it worked.

On a hunch, I spun up a new copy of Windows 10 on a spare SSD I had laying around, and found that any version PRIOR to 1903 (1809, 1803, etc) the brightness slider works! BUT once you hit 1903, it stops working. Doesn't matter if it's an upgrade to 1903 or a fresh install of 1903. Doesn't seem to matter which version of Windows as I've tested Home, Pro and Enterprise.

I'm hoping there's an alternative way to fix this besides downgrading to 1809 and staying there.... not a big fan of using an unsupported OS, but I spend a huge amount of time working with this game so it's pretty important to me that I can actually record footage.

Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, my system has the following hardware, running Windows 10 2004 Pro: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2JMGtp

submitted by /u/jenko-unchained
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jenko-unchained, Sep 28, 2020

2. monitor brightness?

Hi Tom,

To change your Windows 10 monitor brightness, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo; then, search for Control Panel.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Choose Power Options.
    • On the next screen you should see brightness slider at the bottom of the Control Panel window.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Aziz4 Win User
    Game brightness

Hi

So i have this problem with my brightness while gaming , i searched pretty well on the internet but didnt find anyone who had the same problem as me.

I have a dell inspiron gaming laptop on windows 10 and it has a special mode where if i change the brightness ( using a keyboard hotkey) when a game is open , the brighness stayed that way for gaming . Basically it had two brightness modes , one for normal
    usage ( desktop , chrome and orther apps ) and one for gaming ( whenever i open a game ) and my monitor brightness changed depending on the mode .

My problem is that i lowered once my gaming brightness and shortly after that i broke my keyboard so i had to replace it with an external keyboard that didnt have the birghtness hotkey.

So i found myself stuck with a really low brightness when gaming and i found no way to change it . Whenever i open the brightness parameters of windows ( or click on the shortcut of the toolbar ) it goes back to the other brightness mode .

I thought that maybe it was caused by windows gaming mode and tried to turn it off but it didnt work .

I thought about creating a new keyboard hotkeymanually but wanted to see if there were any easier solution.

I hope i explained it well .

Thank you for your time and help

Aziz4, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Older games - can't change in-game brightness when using multiple monitors

Will Windows 10 be able to play older games/programs?

Hi,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

I know how this concerns you, let me help you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to install the games in compatibility mode and check if it works.

Follow the below steps:

1. Right click on the setup file and select Properties.

2. Select Compatibility tab.

3. Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

4. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

I suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft article on Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Reference: Refer to the following Discussion created by Master Turkey
    on Windows 10 Games Compatibility List.

Windows 10 Games Compatibility List

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Older games - can't change in-game brightness when using multiple monitors

1. Older games - can't change in-game brightness when using multiple monitors - Similar Threads - Older games can't

2. Why brightness of monitor can't be changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why brightness of monitor can't be changed: Hi there ! i am struggling to find a way how to adjust brightness of a screen of a laptop, it was working before, i dont know after which action it stopped working, i updated driver of intel graphics, of nvidia drivers, windows updates and almost had coition with a voodoo...
  3. Why brightness of monitor can't be changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why brightness of monitor can't be changed: Hi there ! i am struggling to find a way how to adjust brightness of a screen of a laptop, it was working before, i dont know after which action it stopped working, i updated driver of intel graphics, of nvidia drivers, windows updates and almost had coition with a voodoo...
  4. Brightness changes automatically when playing video games

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Brightness changes automatically when playing video games: Whenever I start playing games, my brightness just automatically goes down. I don't have any type of adaptive brightness settings, I've looked everywhere, and I have no idea what to do. I reinstalled windows about a month ago, this problem didn't exist before then. submitted...
  5. Can't change screen brightness when playing full screen games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't change screen brightness when playing full screen games: My laptop has intel and nvidia graphics. After a recent windows 10 update, whenever I play my games on nvidia graphics on full screen, the screen brightness will dim/brighten to ~50. Changing the brightness in the windows settings i.e. 0 or 100 does not change the screen...
  6. Gaming Brightness in Monitor Mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Gaming Brightness in Monitor Mode: I have a Lenovo Desktop with an HDMI input that I use to game on my play station. My problem is that, even when my brightness is at the lowest setting on desktop mode, it is always at its highest on monitor mode. There are no external buttons on the desktop to fix the...
  7. Game brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
    Game brightness: Hi So i have this problem with my brightness while gaming , i searched pretty well on the internet but didnt find anyone who had the same problem as me. I have a dell inspiron gaming laptop on windows 10 and it had a special mode where if i changed the brightness using a...
  8. Using multiple game controllers in an older program, windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using multiple game controllers in an older program, windows 10: I've got an older program, 2 players. I have built a custom machine for it arcade cabinet and the computer inside died. I bought a new computer for it that came with Windows 10 and reset everything. It works on one player but I want both players to work. In the...
  9. 1440p Monitor Causing Windows to Change Size When Playing Older Games

1440p Monitor Causing Windows to Change Size When Playing Older Games: I did not have this problem with my 1080p monitor. I recently upgraded to a 1440p 144Hz monitor. Now every time I play some older games (AOE2 and Alpha Centauri so far), any open windows get resized into small windows usually (but not always) appearing at the top left of my...
  10. Older Games

Older Games: Hello, I have a lot of old cd-rom games from the early 90's. I was just wondering if there is anyway to get them to install or get them to work on windows 10. I have done the backwards compatibility attempts and they haven't been working. I was just wondering if they work...