Windows 10: Older Laptop Converted to Win 10 Internal CD Drive Not Working

Discus and support Older Laptop Converted to Win 10 Internal CD Drive Not Working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently I upgraded my wife's 2012 ASUS Laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and all was well - I had put a Solid State Hard Drive in it a good while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BillRKsLT, Jul 16, 2020.

1. BillRKsLT Win User

Older Laptop Converted to Win 10 Internal CD Drive Not Working

Recently I upgraded my wife's 2012 ASUS Laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and all was well - I had put a Solid State Hard Drive in it a good while ago and it performs really well - UNTIL she tried to use the CD-DVD drive. It was not showing up in File Explorer, but it does show as Drive e: in Safe Mode. In both cases inserting a picture CD caused a few clicks but no other activity. Device Manager says the drive is working. I've tried updating the driver, deleting the device and letting Windows reinstall it, and a bunch of other troubleshooting steps I found online, including on this site at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...s-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs

Nothing seems to work, including the registry updates suggested. Last night Windows10 Update ran and the machine is now on Release 2004 - still the same reaction. ASUS does not support the machine anymore.

Any other ideas out there? Some reliable site I can find another driver etc. etc.?

Many thanks for any ideas!

:)

BillRKsLT, Jul 16, 2020
  2. Debs-1035 Win User

New laptop and older external hard drive

The laptop doesn't easily "see" the drive.. when I am in Devices and Printers... the icon for the ext HD will appear for just a few seconds.. if I rightclick on it quickly, it'll show the popup for hardware but doesn't have the info for it... does correctly
    refer to it as "USB 2.0 CD + HDD".

I tried your list of steps, but , the HD does NOT ever show in the Disk Management list.

I do have an older Dell that I need to see if it will recognize the HD. I'll try that next.

THANKS for taking the time to list those steps...

Debs-1035, Jul 16, 2020
  3. MelPerMel Win User
    DVD Drives Configured as CD Drives post Win-10 Upgrade

Hi,

I have upgraded both my desktop (generic, win-8 Pro) and laptop (Toshiba, win-8 Home) to their respective Win-10 versions. All is working great, however, the DVD burners on both systems are now registering as CD drives - not DVD drives.

I have both uninstalled and removed the drives within Device Manager (and rebooted), both return as CD's again.

The desktop has an LG BH14NS40 BD-RE drive.

Laptop has an Matshita BD-CMB UJ160B drive.

Any suggestions on how I can ensure Win-10 accurately identifies these are BD drives, not CD drives? They worked perfectly under Win-8.1...

MelPerMel, Jul 16, 2020
  4. Older Laptop Converted to Win 10 Internal CD Drive Not Working

CD/DVD Internal and External Drives

My internal CD/DVD drive was working and now has stopped. I have also added two external CD/DVD drives. One drive is a Blu-ray and the other is a standard CD/DVD drive burner/writer etc. I have made sure Windows 10 is updated, I have also tried just update
    the drivers and lastly, I have deleted the drives and restarted my system but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions.

terrydavidlywood, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

Older Laptop Converted to Win 10 Internal CD Drive Not Working

1. Older Laptop Converted to Win 10 Internal CD Drive Not Working - Similar Threads - Older Laptop Converted

2. internal cd/dvd drive won't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    internal cd/dvd drive won't open: Lenova Ideacentre A340-221GM internal cd/dvd drive will not open. It's light comes on and it tries to open but cannot. is this a Windows 10 Home incompatibility? can't seem to find the right answer, just get the run-around....
  3. CD drive is not working in Windows 10

CD drive is not working in Windows 10: You believe that I will open something so that I can read the dvd of my pc, in which I see the icon I see the drives but it does not work although I have changed the cd to another one and I have eliminated the cd dvd ron in the system. Open someone who really knows what...
  4. Win 10 on older PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 on older PC: Our old desktop PC is a Gateway SX2855, with Win7 home premium. I've heard that an "upgrade" can't work, but am considering cleaning the drive files are backed up and doing a straight install of Win 10 from DVD. Can anyone tell me whether this PC model can handle that?...
  5. CD/DVD Internal and External Drives

CD/DVD Internal and External Drives: My internal CD/DVD drive was working and now has stopped. I have also added two external CD/DVD drives. One drive is a Blu-ray and the other is a standard CD/DVD drive burner/writer etc. I have made sure Windows 10 is updated, I have also tried just update the drivers and...
  6. Windows 10 CD/DVD Drive not recognized; internal or external

Windows 10 CD/DVD Drive not recognized; internal or external: I know this is an old and seriously aggrivating problem but the comments are locked and I have not been able to resolve. I did the reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 thing and that did not...
  7. cd drive not working

cd drive not working: cd's not playing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-drive-not-working/7051da43-95d8-41ea-8139-51ce1140ae39
  8. CD drive not working

CD drive not working: Hi, for some unknown reason my CD drive is not responding at all.... I am running windows 10, previously I have had no problems. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cd-drive-not-working/c65bebfb-3a11-4f17-ad31-e55f369f293d
  9. internal cd drive

internal cd drive: I'm on windows 10 and my CD/DVD rom drive will not play any discs, spins but system does not reconise it,driver shows up to date can anybody help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/internal-cd-drive/41442251-6064-40dd-b458-0137c7c92c53
  10. How to convert an internal drive to external?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to convert an internal drive to external?: I will be removing a Dell's OEM mechanical HD and installing an SSD then installing Windows 10 clean. Although the mechanical HD is a dog I'm thinking that it would serve just fine as a USB/Macrium Reflect destination for this laptop. Is it possible to buy a 'box' that...