Windows 10: OMG, two Windows with one product key???

Discus and support OMG, two Windows with one product key??? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, I am astonished... I bought a laptop with Win 10 Home and I get a rid of it and installed TWO Win 10 Pro. I activated the first with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Pipppero2007, Sep 10, 2016.

1. OMG, two Windows with one product key???

Hi all,

I am astonished... I bought a laptop with Win 10 Home and I get a rid of it and installed TWO Win 10 Pro.

I activated the first with a fresh product key that I bought some days ago.

Everything went fine.

I start the SECOND copy of Win 10 Pro, didn't activated and... IT WAS ALREADY ACTIVATED!!! What happened??? Windows ALONE activated itself??? They share the same product key??? Because they are on the same machine???

I had a lot of time two OS in the same machine my older computer but I always used different product keys of each OS!!! It never happened in the past something weird like this!!!

Help me!!! I don't want Microsoft think I am using my key for different OSs and it's not my willing!!!!

:)

Pipppero2007, Sep 10, 2016

2. pinning favortes to left side

OMG......thank you so much. I have struggled for two days with this.

donna in michigan, Sep 10, 2016
  3. Blackjack II no sound from media player

OMG Why THE F@#$ have they not fixed this bug yet. i am telling everyone not to get the blackjack 2 or and other samsunge or windows product till they get this fixed. LINUX rules!

hotshotkev, Sep 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

OMG, two Windows with one product key???

Can you clarify that - do you mean you are dual booting Win 10 Pro with itself- two installations of Win 10 Pro on the same PC?

Note that if you have already installed Win 10 on a given device, and then clean install it, it will (or should be) automatically activated. Presumably that's what's happening with your 2nd installation.

There is this possibility:

OMG, two Windows with one product key??? [​IMG]

but before you rush in, that may then apply to both. So don't try that.

If you are aiming to have two separately licensed installations of Win 10 on the same PC, I would suggest you find your area MS activation phone number, and give them a ring.

I'm sure you'll get some expert comments from others here.

dalchina, Sep 10, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Ms perhaps is becoming "Tescofied"

BOGOF --> Buy one get one Free !!!!

Will I get Clubcard Points.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 10, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    - wait for them to double up and triple boot.... *chuckle

dalchina, Sep 10, 2016
  7. According to you, if instead i leave things as they are... What could happen?

I am using from two days, often, both, no messeges only they are "definitely activated". *sarc

8. dalchina New Member

I would suggest you find your area MS activation phone number, and give them a ring if you want a definitive answer, unless someone here gives one. Check the license terms- does it say anything about how many copies you can activate?
    Microsoft License Terms

dalchina, Sep 10, 2016
  9. The both i have to choose from this site it's not my licence.
    I could phone Microsoft for curiosity or just see what happen... You know, i think now the key is hardware related so you can activate illimitate os in the same machine. I guess.

10. dalchina New Member
    It is tied to your hardware id, but changes in significant parts are permitted. I can't comment on the legality.. see the license terms.

dalchina, Sep 10, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    It seems you now get a digital licence even if you use a key to activate Windows 10. That is why it activated the second install.

Strictly, you are contravening the EULA, as you should only have on version on pc at any one time.

Personally, I cannot get emotive about that, as you can only ever run one version at a time i.e. it is not as if you are installing it on two separate pcs using same key which is piracy.

I certainly do not advocate piracy but, in your case, all you are "guilty of" is a minor transgression of the EULA.

cereberus, Sep 11, 2016
  12. Go to Settings > Update & security > Activation. As already mentioned, it likely shows as "Activated with a Digital license". The second install of 10 Pro on the same hardware is activating with the DL the first install got. The activation server doesn't know its two separate installs. It does violate the EULA though. If you want to be totally legal with a clear conscience. Boot up to the second install, then go to Settings > Update & security > Activation. Then click change product key and enter your second product code that you haven't used. Keep in mind that this may just switch both installs the this new key? You will have done due diligence though. Or don't do anything and wait and see what happens? I'm thinking they will both stay activated with no issues. I'm with cereberus, you can only ever run the one install at any one time so I have a hard time getting to bent out of shape when things like this happen. In this case its not your fault the second install activated all on its own.

alphanumeric, Sep 11, 2016
  13. Superfly Win User

You may have a Win 8 Pro OEM key that got a digital licence on the second install (some OEM's used old stock and upgraded them to Home OEM without overwriting the firmware key)

Superfly, Sep 11, 2016
  14. DavidE Win User
    I'm interested in this as i'm in a similar situation.
    I've read MS tweaked the activation/licensing with the Anniversary Update.
    It now can use a MS Account as part of the activation/license.

@Pipppero2007
    - When you installed/activated Win 10 where you using a MS Account or a Local Account ?
    - If you used a MS Account, was it the same MS Account for both OS's ?
    - Are each of the Win 10 OS's installed on different drives, or a single drive ?

I looked into this when i saw the same thing after the Anniversary Update.
    I wonder if changing one of the OS's to a different MS Account would change the license for that OS.
    I never found a definate answer, and i don't know.

Has anyone dual-booted Win 10 with a different MS Account for each OS, and know if that gives 2 different license/activation ?

Here's one article i found that discusses this, i don't know if it's fact or not.

Source for quote below: Microsoft tweaks activation rules for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | ZDNet

DavidE, Sep 11, 2016
  15. Superfly Win User
    I don't think the mere use of an MSA creates a digital licence - unless it's same as a registered Insider one - that may well re-activate on the same hardware...but that's just my guess FWIW.

Superfly, Sep 11, 2016
Thema:

1. OMG, two Windows with one product key??? - Similar Threads - OMG product key

2. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: HOW MANY FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKING INCREDIBLE PROBLEMS AND BUGS AND GLITCHES AND FLAWS ARE THERE NOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!!??!!?!!!?!???!!??!!??!!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!...
  3. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: HOW MANY FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKING INCREDIBLE PROBLEMS AND BUGS AND GLITCHES AND FLAWS ARE THERE NOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!!??!!?!!!?!???!!??!!??!!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!...
  4. Two Keys, One Device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Two Keys, One Device: Here's my situation:I have two Windows 10 licenses, one for the Pro version, one for Home.Each of the versions are installed on two separate hard drives.Both hard drives are installed on the same laptop.Both licenses are linked to my Microsoft account.Both are legal...
  5. Windows 10 Product Key on Two Bootable Drives Sharing the Same Product Key?

Windows 10 Product Key on Two Bootable Drives Sharing the Same Product Key?: Hi Situation: I have a 10 years old laptop that came with HDD Windows 7 Vista I still have the sticker key on Vista but it doesn't work on Win 10. At the same time I installed a separate drive SSD and installed Windows 7 using my university's enterprise product key Don't...
  6. OMG

in Windows 10 Customization
    OMG: Look: [ATTACH] Why the tile in the app side has an outline on the UWP OneNote version, whereas in the tiles side, it has none. What is this icon monstrosity? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/omg/7e634c80-acbf-46b9-a301-9a640f3b5910
  7. Two product keys received from two different powershell scripts

Two product keys received from two different powershell scripts: I just wanted clarification on the difference between these two product keys, and which one represents which. If I run this script powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey" I get a product key, but if I use this...
  8. Two Computers Activated With The Same Product Key

Two Computers Activated With The Same Product Key: I upgraded mine from Windows 10 Home, to Windows 10 Pro. Windows was oringally installed as fresh on both computers. Bother computers had their own product key. I have two Windows 7 Ultimate key, which I used to upgrade my Windows 10. Yesterday, while working on my Sister's...
  9. omg

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    omg: i lost all my home work on my college portal i had just got done with it never got to save a pop up came up and now its gone what do i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/omg/23f308e7-e8b5-46bb-8f91-a1ad06b73f73
  10. Same product key on two PCs

Same product key on two PCs: Hi there. Within the last two days I upgraded a PC and a laptop to Windows 10 home as part of the free upgrade program. Just noticed tonight that Windows assigned the same product key to each PC. How is that possible? Why would Microsoft do that? I had no control over which...